Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 09:12 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
There are huge sections of grocery store shelves that are barren, which is incredible to me, I've never seen anything like that in my life.
That was in 2020. I still have pictures in my phone... no rice, pasta, flour, bread, paper products, etc....

I haven't seen shortages of anything in the grocery stores recently. Maybe you should move to a civilized part of the country.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:25 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
That was in 2020. I still have pictures in my phone... no rice, pasta, flour, bread, paper products, etc....

I haven't seen shortages of anything in the grocery stores recently. Maybe you should move to a civilized part of the country.
I haven't noticed any shortages in our local grocery stores either. I haven't been to any big-box or department stores however for a while though, I buy all that stuff online so wouldn't know if the sundries are scarce in-store locally. But I have noticed the increase in prices at the grocery & restaurants.

As to the original question I have always lived somewhat below my means without depriving myself of much, and that is especially true the last (almost) 2 years. My gas/electric bill has stayed pretty constant recently too. In fact I start collecting SS next month (70yo) & will have quite a cushion at that point & expect I will actually increase my spending on frippery & small luxuries unlike in my past. I almost feel a bit guilty.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:35 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmmcubed View Post
No barren shelves around here. At all. In any store I've been in. There were some shortages of some items in the earliest days of the pandemic, but things have been normal since then.
same - small town here and the only thing that was hard to find was name brand cranberry sauce during Thanksgiving

Folks wouldn't buy the store brand or the frozen berries and make it themselves - very easy to do.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:44 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
same - small town here and the only thing that was hard to find was name brand cranberry sauce during Thanksgiving

Folks wouldn't buy the store brand or the frozen berries and make it themselves - very easy to do.
If you don't buy the Ocean Spray canned jellied cranberry sauce, you don't get that perfect cylinder that takes pride of place on the holiday table.

Hey, these things are important. Some people actually get grumpy without it.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:01 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,206 times
If you don't cook you might be in a real bind as restaurant prices are skyrocketing in my area. That isn't to say grocery prices are not, but you can save a bit if you prepare your own food.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:27 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
...How are members in here coping with these spikes in the COL?
Recently, I had a habit of stopping at McD's to get an Egg McMuffin while on my way to Sea Cadet drill. The price surprised me and I haven't purchased fast-food since, (a couple of months now). All fast-food. It isn't all that healthy anyway, so it's a gain in the end.

At the market, I've noticed prices creeping up, but since I purchase what's on sale or with coupons, (Fred Meyer's, part of the Kroger chain), the bottom line receipt hasn't changed much.

The effects of inflation hasn't really affected my 'standard of living' yet. There is enough fat in the budget that so far, I've been able to absorb it. Only change is that I've dropped my tennis club membership when they raised the rates several months ago. Should have suspended it a long time ago because I hurt my shoulder and couldn't play anyway. I'm using the tennis club membership money to pay for private ballroom dance lessons.

- - - - -

p.s. About the title of "retirees living on fixed incomes...". "Everybody" is living on a fixed income. It's that those drawing a paycheck are usually getting more than retirees on pensions and SS.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-15-2021, 10:34 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Better: elderly gentleman requires some to cook for him---for free if possible.
Done that and will do it again.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:36 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times
Shopping very, very carefully. Not eating out (weren't anyway, due to Covid, but now doing far, far less take in due to expense). Worrying about the declining value of nest egg. Scared. I recall the inflation of the 70's. Don't want to see my savings melt away. Unless the federal government stops printing and giving away money, now, I see a massive Republican landslide in 2022, and 2024. The recipients of the dole, in general, don't bother to vote.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:43 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Recently, I had a habit of stopping at McD's to get an Egg McMuffin while on my way to Sea Cadet drill. The price surprised me and I haven't purchased fast-food since, (a couple of months now). All fast-food. It isn't all that healthy anyway, so it's a gain in the end.

At the market, I've noticed prices creeping up, but since I purchase what's on sale or with coupons, (Fred Meyer's, part of the Kroger chain), the bottom line receipt hasn't changed much.
That seems like a good summary. I recently bought skinless/boneless chicken breasts for $1.99/lb, and we paid $0.79/lb for our Thanksgiving turkey. Just need to be a little flexible and watch for sales.

If came down to outright survival we could certainly reduce our grocery bill a LOT, and I expect most people could as well.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:51 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Covid made our budgeting decisions more than inflation. We haven't noticed much down here. But we don't scrutinize our grocery bills, either. I add them up each month just to see the total, and it seems much the same as ever. Hamburger is still $3 a kilo. Rum is $7, lol.

But no travel until things settle down, so that's huge. Far less eating out since there are so few condo neighbors here---mostly absentee owners. We only go out maybe twice a month and get in on the happy hour 2 for one rate.

No car means gas prices are not a big deal, although taxi fares may go up a dollar. We can handle that, lol.

Not paying for Medicare, so that increase doesn't apply.

Our income varied wildly while working (entrepreneur/meritocracy) but now we are on a fixed income. Portfolio withdrawal is always the same monthly.

We entertain ourselves for free---just $14 for Netflix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement