Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2022, 04:52 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I only started having food delivered regularly since COVID.

Lately it has been even more frequent for a variety of reasons. It makes life much easier, but it does cost more.
Well, it's not "easier" for me as those delivery places don't deliver the kind of food/meals that I prefer to eat, and even if they did, I would not choose to spend my money on delivery. So for me, grilling chicken at home, and cooking at home, is a much better option. I understand we all have differing preferences and certainly it is nice to have delivery services available for those that need them. But paying for food delivery and then complaining about what one spends on food (not speaking about you ) is just silly.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:55 PM
JRR

8,161 posts, read 5,654,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This is all based on your local area.

There is one Kroger here in Bristol - at least four Food Cities in the city limits. Kroger is competitive on price and has more organic/healthy options, but that's about it.

I make a smoothie about every day. I use dragonfruit for a base. Food City doesn't even sell dragonfruit, and it can even be hard to find frozen pineapples, peaches, or mangoes there. If you can find any of that Food City, it will not be organic. Kroger sells the dragonfruit and organic produce.

IMO, Food City has always been a lower end grocer than Kroger or Publix.

Johnson City has a Publix, about half an hour away. The reality is that I buy most of my fresh meat and produce at Publix, and take my cooler with me to Asheville for the Whole Food/TJ's type stuff. Publix may be a little more expensive, but they have a far wider variety of merchandise, healthier/organic options, some pre-made meals, and much better customer service.

Food City is sometimes a necessary evil.

This area had a far wider variety of grocery stores twenty years ago. Food Lion, Food Country, Winn-Dixie, A&P, and a local place called Oakwood all come to mind. Food City is dominant they basically drove the others out of the area or out of business. Even Kroger only makes a halfhearted effort in this market.

The options here are terrible compared to when I lived in Indianapolis. No, I don't expect the same variety, but it will be better to have something than Food City, Walmart, and Sam's. Aldi has some things I like, but they aren't a full grocer. Kroger is terrible here. Realistically, it's Food City only, in this town.

I can afford to pay a little more at Publix and drive over there once a week, or bring a cooler full of stuff back from Whole Foods in Asheville when I'm at my girlfriend's every other weekend. That's not an option for a lot of people with much lower incomes.
I've never shopped at a Food City but I'm curious as to what our new store will be like as it is on my side of town. From what I have read on it, it appears they are going to take a run at Publix. Everything from a large cafe seating area to a pizzeria and a barbeque smoker.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
I find $99 a year for a membership to Instacart very reasonable - which gives unlimited free grocery deiiveries and great fast 'same night as ordering' option times or next day. Plus the many options of grocery stores they deliver from is great. The delivery is free plus just around a $1.40 service fee.

(there is also a membership option of $9.99 per month for unlimited deliveries if one prefers, rather than the $99 for a year membership)

And Walmart Grocery delivery membership is only $79 for a year for free unlimited deliveries. Excellent service

FRESH grocery delivery is FREE with an Amazon Prime membership.
FRESH delivers groceries from a local Amazon warehouse.

SHIPT is $99 per year for unlimited free grocery deliveries.

I really like all of them.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:39 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
It's all I can do to afford food when I go get it myself. Also serves as entertainment!

Old 02-17-2022, 05:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
How do 2 people spend $700 on food in one month with only cooking their own meals? Seriously, what kind of groceries are you buying??
I will gladly share the receipts of our household.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
I'm not on a "strict tight budget" (I'm not even retired yet), but I have always bought chicken and cooked it at home, that is what I have for lunch most days. I just picked up a large package of chicken breasts that were 1.99 a pound. I'll freeze them separately and take out and grill as needed. One breast is 2 lunches for me.
Breakfast and dinner? Company? Salad/vegetables/fruits are expensive here. 99 cents for a half chicken breast with what?

Old 02-17-2022, 06:16 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Well, it's not "easier" for me as those delivery places don't deliver the kind of food/meals that I prefer to eat, and even if they did, I would not choose to spend my money on delivery. So for me, grilling chicken at home, and cooking at home, is a much better option. I understand we all have differing preferences and certainly it is nice to have delivery services available for those that need them. But paying for food delivery and then complaining about what one spends on food (not speaking about you ) is just silly.
Yeah, I am not complaining because I am spending way too much on food, but I was just saying earlier I miss eating the way that is best for me, which would be lots of fish and vegetables.

I am in a strange place living with a person whose diet is severely limited by his medical condition, in addition to his adult sons, who more or less live on fast food. Even when ordering from a better-quality restaurant, they want fried food. It is only a slight exaggeration to say that fried pickles are closest they come to a vegetable, although sweet potato and regular fries are part of their diets. Skinny as rails, too.

If I cook better meals, they don't get eaten by anyone but me, so I gave up and jumped on the food-delivery bandwagon. But then I eat too much crap.

I just went to a different supermarket that has a fish section, which is what I have at home. I am going to have to start making some better meals for myself here. I will spend the money for good fish. There is no waste.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
Quote:
Are you talking about deliveries from restaurants or deliveries from grocery stores?

Instacart here delivers from FOUR different co-op grocery stores selling health food groceries and also from two other grocery stores which focus on vegetables and fruits and healthy foods, in addition to at least four or five large grocery stores selling grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, fish, lots of very fresh vegetables.

I never order deliveries from restaurants.

Old 02-17-2022, 08:28 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
How do 2 people spend $700 on food in one month with only cooking their own meals? Seriously, what kind of groceries are you buying??
Between bulk orders from Amazon on canned stuff [way cheaper than store] (soup, salmon, sardines, coffee, teas) and local shopping at organic coop for fresh meats, vegs, fruit, dairy, I average somewhere between $350-$400/mo. on groceries/household items. This is after Amazon 5% cashback and Amex 6% cashback on groceries. Coop is more expensive, but I like the food quality. Do buy their roasted chickens and deli entree items like pre-prepared lasagna/shepherd's pie, beef stews b/c their cooking is way better than mine usually. Their meat lasagnas are to die for - all organic ingredients. One container equivalent of four meals - maybe $3-4 meal. Because I don't get up until noon, earliest, I only eat twice a day, throw very little out. My grocery spending hasn't changed in 12 years - even now. Probably b/c as I age, I eat less. And, I don't much like to do any serious cooking anymore, either.

I can see two people - especially with a man in the house - spending $700 easily at a regular grocery store - assume this includes laundry and cleaning products. Probably also depends on where one lives.

Old 02-17-2022, 08:29 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Are you talking about deliveries from restaurants or deliveries from grocery stores?

Instacart here delivers from FOUR different co-op grocery stores selling health food groceries and also from two other grocery stores which focus on vegetables and fruits and healthy foods, in addition to at least four or five large grocery stores selling grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, fish, lots of very fresh vegetables.

I never order deliveries from restaurants.
Folks that have prepared food delivered. I don't use any delivery services, but prepared food is what I was referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement