Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2022, 07:53 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times

Advertisements

I really wish grocers would designate one area for the food they're about to dispose of, for whatever reason (out of date, bruised fruit and veggies, stale bakery items) at reduced prices and let the consumer take his OWN chances.
-------
Supermarkets do have a place for bruised fruits and veggies and baked goods,but not fresh meat or deli meat past expiration date,for health reason.
I have seen a shop which sells bread,cakes recently expired .
When you return frozen or fresh meat/deli meat/fresh or frozen dairy products at Kroger,they ask if you have taken them out of the store,if yes,they will refund you and destroy the items.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:03 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Why would someone return fresh meat they had just bought and not taken out of the store yet? I can't imagine that scenario would come up very often!

Old 02-19-2022, 08:33 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Unless you have two broken legs, I can't fathom paying excessive fees and tips to have ANYTHING delivered that you're capable of going and getting yourself, but just me, I guess! I see able-bodied young people getting DoorDash every day.

As long as we apparently have money to flush down the toilet, we'll keep flushing.
I prefer to do my own grocery shopping, but there are times when illness, snow/ice storms and pandemics make it nice to have delivery available!

Old 02-19-2022, 08:38 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why would someone return fresh meat they had just bought and not taken out of the store yet? I can't imagine that scenario would come up very often!

Once at Walmart I thought a chicken was X price but while I was doing self checkout, I realized it was MUCH more expensive. I immediately told the sales clerk overseeing the area.

She was quite mad, saying they would have to through it away. I asked why? She said they had no idea how long I had been walking it around in the cart? Which is odd because it serves a rural area... most of the customers would have a half hour drive to get home....

It seemed ridiculous.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-19-2022, 08:45 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Right; if something rings up higher than expected, I just have the clerk (or ask a clerk, if using self-checkout) to cancel the item on the spot. That's different from "buying" it and then "returning" it before leaving the store (I guess it could happen if you weren't watching the prices and caught it only after the transaction was completed).

Old 02-19-2022, 08:52 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I spread salt & pepper over it and left it alone for 24 hours. On the day of grilling (I use propane grill), I followed YouTube example, grill one side for 2.5 minutes, turned it over for another 2.5 minutes, repeat both one more time, then I stick a digital thermometer into the steak to make sure the inside temperature is around 120 degree F (pink in the middle), then put it on a higher rack to stay away from direct heat for 5 minutes. Then put it on a plate and bring back to the house to cut it and eat

Some part of steak I found it a bit tough, more like a T-bone instead of Ribeye. Instead, the Ribeye I buy (from Target supermarket, I found their Ribeyes the best) are generally soft everywhere and tasty.

Looking back, I could've use a little less cooking time and that may help with the toughness of meat.
Tomahawk is a tad different cut to cook. I Sous Vide then sear it all now and it is a perfect quality control every time. I know the challenge of different cuts and self imposed quality controls without Sous Vide. I have never done a Tomahawk but have researched it a number of times and know it is a different cut with that large a bone.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:41 AM

712 posts, read 554,392 times
I was criticized because I said we paid $700 in one month on groceries. This was going through our statement and adding every little item from Walmart and Aldi's. But let's take today for one example: We went to Aldi's just now and our total was $129.14. That is just one trip to the grocery store. But in the past, we would have eaten out two or three times and never added it up. I just can't believe how expensive groceries are. My husband said, "I took you to an expensive place today" I said, "for sure!"

Old 02-19-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
I was criticized because I said we paid $700 in one month on groceries. This was going through our statement and adding every little item from Walmart and Aldi's. But let's take today for one example: We went to Aldi's just now and our total was $129.14. That is just one trip to the grocery store. But in the past, we would have eaten out two or three times and never added it up. I just can't believe how expensive groceries are. My husband said, "I took you to an expensive place today" I said, "for sure!"
It really isn't how much you spend but the percentage it is of income disposable or otherwise. Your $700 may have the impact on you comparable to $250 for another couple.

We spend a lot like you and it varies by the month. May be more reasonable for us to look at 30 periods rather than monthly as we could have two major trips within a few week and than none for a bit more time. Have never bothered to add it up.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It really isn't how much you spend but the percentage it is of income disposable or otherwise. Your $700 may have the impact on you comparable to $250 for another couple.

We spend a lot like you and it varies by the month. May be more reasonable for us to look at 30 periods rather than monthly as we could have two major trips within a few week and than none for a bit more time. Have never bothered to add it up.
We just got a utility bill the other day and it was $100 more than previous month. Just paid it and went on with life and will be less willing to change thermostat back and forth which may have been part of the reason

Old 02-19-2022, 11:17 AM

712 posts, read 554,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

Adding it up for the Month of January was the first time I have ever done that. i will be curious if I continue if it will be about the same or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement