Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 03:44 PM

946 posts, read 774,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you, OldSchoolEverything, for bringing up issues and asking questions that some may need answers for in the future but haven't yet thought about.
Thank you from me as well. I'm only 56, but this kind of service is on my mind as well, just because I have assets, etc..

My current beneficiaries could be gone in the near future future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 12:23 PM

272 posts, read 165,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Thank you from me as well. I'm only 56, but this kind of service is on my mind as well, just because I have assets, etc..

My current beneficiaries could be gone in the near future future.
I researched the site that "RJM1CC" suggested. It sounds great for people who utilize its financial services in some way. I may be mistaken, but it seems as if you can't designate multiple recipients, and that the recipient must be in-house.

At any event, the documents whose transmission I'm most concerned with aren't financial in nature.

Old 12-21-2021, 02:50 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,725,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Try https://web.fidsafe.com It is free and designed for this purpose. You can share documents now or only after your death.
I think this is related to the mutual Fund company Fidelity.
They use two factor ID.
The party you are sharing with has to also set up an account. They do not have to use it.
You can use a second email address for yourself and test out the sharing etc.
After your death the person who you said could only see the documents after your death would need to send FidSafe a copy of your death certificate. If you did not restrict the documents to after death they can get them any time they like.
I also use it to keep copies of important documents that I would not want to lose in a fire or may need access to when not at home. Picture of your household goods for a claim could be a good use.
Experiment with it and I think you will like it.
You can put copies of your will, power of attorney, bank/credit card statement (just one for names, addresses and account numbers. Copies of tax returns if you like. The more probably the better for your purposes. However for someone to use the will or power of attorney they will need the original signed document.
You could encrypt the files before uploading but the other person would have to be able to unencrypt the files and this may add a level of difficulty you want to avoid.
Good luck
Great information! I've put stuff like photos I want saved in case of fire etc on a cloud account, but some of the financial information I'm leery about posting.

I'll check this out.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:01 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,336,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Great information! I've put stuff like photos I want saved in case of fire etc on a cloud account, but some of the financial information I'm leery about posting.

I'll check this out.
I agree but what ever we use it is still a cloud. You can use an encryption program and give a copy to the person who can access the files. Problem is they may not have the program when the time comes.

Old 12-22-2021, 04:56 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
I just looked at the topic title again and started laughing.

Digital Services for Contacting People after Death

If you look at it sideways, it could be read as looking for a digital service that can contact dead people. LOL.

Old 12-22-2021, 05:49 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

If you look at it sideways, it could be read as looking for a digital service that can contact dead people. LOL.
I know, I thought about that today, too.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

Ah,haha! No, I stay away from Ouija boards, especially the digital kind

Old 12-24-2021, 12:08 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
You could also put all the stamped envelopes into a large manila envelope and write "Please Mail These Now" and leave it in the entry where it is sure to be found.

I think this would depend on peoples individual situations. Personally, I feel a safe deposit box or an actual lawyer would be best.

One of my friends died the other day and family quickly swooped in and is already selling off their belongings, before the will is being read, because they are making assumptions as to who gets what. (and all they want is the money).

If you live alone, you are really at the mercy of whoever finds you and ends up cleaning out your house.

I hope you are feeling better

Old 12-25-2021, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I think this would depend on peoples individual situations. Personally, I feel a safe deposit box or an actual lawyer would be best.

One of my friends died the other day and family quickly swooped in and is already selling off their belongings, before the will is being read, because they are making assumptions as to who gets what. (and all they want is the money).

If you live alone, you are really at the mercy of whoever finds you and ends up cleaning out your house.

I hope you are feeling better
Thank you so much for the reply and well-wishes.

Yes, I agree that paper mail is at the mercy of others. I gave serious consideration about what I'm going to do in regard to the issue I need others to know about, know all about. It seems that Google will allow you to attach documents to final emails. I'm going to be spending holiday week writing a meticulous longform article that will name names, give dates, add references to Newspaper.com stories, and in general make public the gaping wound in the Pennsylvania justice system that steered the course of my adult life. (No, I have never been in jail or even inside a courtroom.)

God bless.

Old 12-25-2021, 09:03 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
How about just sending the documents now?

Is there a reason you don't want the recipients to see them before your death? Like, are you leaving last insults, or revealing dirty secrets, and you're worried about repercussions?

You say they aren't financial; are they time-sensitive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement