Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 07:51 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,047,363 times

Advertisements

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 06:45 PM

17,377 posts, read 22,137,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No.
If you didn't own it then you are off the hook............

If Moe the mechanic down at the Mayberry garage gives me bad advice. I "might" be able to sue Mayberry garage but if Moe retires and we are elbow to elbow at the local saloon then he tells me the same bad advice then I have nobody to sue. Guy is retired and is no longer offering professional advice.

Tamara save your money.............stop giving advice and don't buy anymore insurance for anything.

Of course, you do know the insurance company would deny coverage for the same reason: YOU ARE RETIRED, NO LONGER A PROFESSIONAL IN YOUR FIELD! They will take your premiums though.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:54 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,621,339 times
I agree. Originally it seemed as if you were running your own business. I’d be amazed if you have liability after retirement. You can still consult an attorney if you’re concerned.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:18 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,047,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
If you didn't own it then you are off the hook............

If Moe the mechanic down at the Mayberry garage gives me bad advice. I "might" be able to sue Mayberry garage but if Moe retires and we are elbow to elbow at the local saloon then he tells me the same bad advice then I have nobody to sue. Guy is retired and is no longer offering professional advice.

Tamara save your money.............stop giving advice and don't buy anymore insurance for anything.

Of course, you do know the insurance company would deny coverage for the same reason: YOU ARE RETIRED, NO LONGER A PROFESSIONAL IN YOUR FIELD! They will take your premiums though.

No, no, no.....you fail to understand the issue. If you teach in this field, "in the business", you are liable for what you teach, whether you own the business or not.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:01 PM

48,565 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:
No, no, no.....you fail to understand the issue. If you teach in this field, "in the business", you are liable for what you teach, whether you own the business or not.
My husband was a police recruit instructor. No longer liable for anything
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-28-2021, 07:30 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,621,339 times
Quote:
What field? Says who?

Not to be too pointed, originally I was on your side, but you’re not doing yourself any favors with these responses. I own a business in a high risk vertical myself, so I want to believe what you’re saying, however in my experience one would have to prove negligence to find an non-contract individual contributor liable.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:17 AM

10,113 posts, read 6,463,641 times
Quote:
Hey, if you want to pay unnecessary insurance premiums, have at it. It's your dough to waste.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:35 AM

43,237 posts, read 18,385,032 times
Quote:
Ok but you asked about after you retire. Once you retire you are no longer teaching "in the business" so how can you think you're liable ?

Old 12-28-2021, 09:48 AM

10,785 posts, read 5,711,392 times
As long as the OP continues playing these silly, unnecessary secrecy games, further responses are pointless.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:02 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,149,449 times
Do you need to be licensed or certified to teach this “skill”? Or do you just have personal expertise. Did you ever claim accreditation you don’t have? All these things will be asked by the hypothetical jury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement