Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 07:03 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,794,549 times

Advertisements

Monday morning, arrived at ER with incarcerated hernia. Tried for two days to massage it down, no success

Tight feeling, but information from medical clinic said get to ER. Checked in Monday, cut Tuesday, today 20 hours since cut and I have to say, this is worse than hip surgery pain for first 24 hours.....

While it's getting up that's the most painful, I never realized just how tender the abdomen was. Heck of a time for it, so maybe today they boot me, we'll see.

Sister asked of I had place chosen for recuperating, I replied "With only no time to look, no plans on having emergency surgery and no financial ability to pay? You kidding me?"

Anyway, my tale of woe to end the year..... Just sneezed..... Oweeeeeeeeee........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 08:00 AM

23,876 posts, read 33,595,201 times
My first lumbar fusion was through my left abdomen. I have news, if you're like me, it will be painful at least a few months. I don't know how these women have elective c-sections like it's nothing. It's a painful surgery!

Don't forget that pillow for those sneezes. I'm not one to sneeze except after that surgery!

Feel better

Old 12-29-2021, 08:08 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,801 times
Sorry to hear you required surgical repair of your hernia. Viceral pain from abdominal surgery can be in some instances worse than pain from bone surgeries. When I had my abdominal hysterectomy 17 years ago I was pretty shocked by all the pain I experienced from this surgery. And it didn't help that when my staples were removed a week later which I felt was too soon my entire incision opened up, and since it could not be reclosed again with staples or sutures because doing this there is a high risk for infection, I had to have a visiting nurse visit me 2 x day to pack the wound for 6 weeks until it was closed enough where I could attend to it myself.

Hope your healing progresses quickly without any complications.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:24 AM

896 posts, read 1,141,703 times
If you are still leaving in your car, please let the hospital know. Perhaps they can arrange some housing for you.

Best wishes as you recover.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:47 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,794,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
If you are still leaving in your car, please let the hospital know. Perhaps they can arrange some housing for you.

Best wishes as you recover.
Thanks for the concern and suggestion. I'm just so thankful that I have some insurance, top medical facilities and staff.

Funny thing about housing. After my hip surgery, the insurance company said "We'll take care of everything....... Except for the week of rehabilitation at a center 1 mile away"

I spent 3 weeks at a motel instead, which after sending them the receipts, admitted that they should have paid.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:53 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,930,021 times
What I wish I had known:

1. Roll out of bed, don't try to sit up.

2. Compression with a pillow when sneezing or coughing, see for example

https://www.nmortho.com/ten-ways-to-...after-surgery/

Old 12-29-2021, 08:56 AM

11,141 posts, read 9,776,705 times
My DH says after his hernia surgery he felt it was quite painful for a week or two. After that he was pretty much able to do normal activities like walking, etc, without pain, but had to put off anything strenuous to a later date. So you might need some assistance for a week or so.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
I guess I was lucky. I never even had to take aspirin after mine. I have no expertise here. Mine was done robotically. Just a small incision.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:16 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,614,549 times
Ouch! I hope you can heal up quickly with no complications & less pain. Just don't have any really funny friends come by to visit.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:18 AM

394 posts, read 277,585 times
Shortly after I got home from the surgery, my wife and I got to laughing about something, then we couldn't stop. It was agony, but so funny! She had to leave the room so I could recover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement