Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 790 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
What the circumstances have to be for 80 years old woman to be eligible for max SSI in Florida, Fort Myers?
Thanks for the answers in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 01:07 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,912,808 times
SSI is tied in to disability, not regular Social Security collected after age 65+.

I'm thinking you're asking about regular Social Security benefits, not SSD (Social Security Disability) or SSI (another form of disability).

Can you please clarify?

Old 12-29-2021, 01:19 PM

45,453 posts, read 60,666,498 times
SSI is not necessarily disability connected. Those over 65 can receive it if they do not collect regular Social Security or, if they do, have limited income. SSI is paid out of general revenue and not from FICA funds.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-over-ussi.htm

Old 12-29-2021, 01:30 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,355,332 times
She should set up an online account at SS. https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

She might find some help there but a phone call would probably be best.

Very little experience but I though if you were under 65 and on SSI you switched to regular social security at 65. Might be that you can not qualify at 80 but I am only guessing based on very old information.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
SSI is not necessarily disability connected. Those over 65 can receive it if they do not collect regular Social Security or, if they do, have limited income. SSI is paid out of general revenue and not from FICA funds.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-over-ussi.htm
Thank you for this! I appreciate the heads-up.

I have a former in law who never paid into social security, so when he was 60 he had to apply for welfare/Medicaid as an indigent. I felt that was shady because he had a place to live (mom) and $500/mo cash from mom. I doubt he's ever applied for SSI since he inherited some money from his mother (my deceased stepmother).

Old 12-29-2021, 01:50 PM

45,453 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post

I have a former in law who never paid into social security, so when he was 60 he had to apply for welfare/Medicaid as an indigent. I felt that was shady because he had a place to live (mom) and $500/mo cash from mom. I doubt he's ever applied for SSI since he inherited some money from his mother (my deceased stepmother).
I had an uncle who worked his entire life "off the books" as it were and collected SSI, so I knew about it then. Of course, that was 30+ years ago.

We used to have parents come in to school wanting us to diagnose their child as disabled in order to receive SSI.

Old 12-30-2021, 01:13 AM

23,878 posts, read 33,601,389 times
Quote:

SSI IS welfare/medicaid. People on social security also can qualify for help from welfare. There are a few members here that do that, that are supposedly millionaires with 401K's.

A lot of people do what he did, never work, have a roof over their head, a parent that will help them out, they'll apply to collect SSI /welfare. His mother had to write him a letter saying all she provides is the roof over his head. He then gets food stamps, EBT cash plus medical, dental and prescriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreta Sern View Post
Hi there,
What the circumstances have to be for 80 years old woman to be eligible for max SSI in Florida, Fort Myers?
Thanks for the answers in advance.

They should call welfare to see if they're open, then go in person. They will look at her social security and whatever else money she has coming in, if she qualifies they'll do an app, she may get EBT cash, food stamps and health insurance if she qualifies

Hopefully you come back and give us more information such as is she on social security?

Old 12-30-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
SSI IS welfare/medicaid. People on social security also can qualify for help from welfare. There are a few members here that do that, that are supposedly millionaires with 401K's.
I have done that and been turned down for "making too much money on (regular) SS." Which is a total and complete joke, and a slap in the face.

I'd like to know how these millionaires accomplished that, and why they thought they need it.

Last edited by pathrunner; 12-30-2021 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: add a sentence

Old 12-30-2021, 05:49 AM

106,775 posts, read 108,997,702 times
Quote:
I have done that and been turned down for "making too much money on (regular) SS." Which is a total and complete joke, and a slap in the face.
Ssi is for those who don’t have ssdi or ss ..you can get ssdi and ssi at the same time but They balance out what you get

https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...i-and-ssi.html

Old 12-30-2021, 07:42 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,497,243 times
Quote:

To you and OP Loretta Sern:

First, it would not be "shady" for Medicaid. Welfare payments, would be income based, and he may still qualify for a welfare benefit, even with mom donating $500 to his "cause".

Second, SSI (Supplemental Security Income) can be given to those who are disabled and didn't have enough SS credits to get a SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance), that is true.

But it's also true that for those who collect SSDI or SS on regular basis that the payment is below the SSI maximum and it will SUPPLEMENT the regular low payments.

The max for SSI for 2021 was $794/m.
So, let's say a senior widow is only entitled to $500/m SS as half what her husband's was when he took it many years ago, then passed.
She can then apply for SSI, and would receive $274/m in addition to the $500/m SS she receives as a survivor SS payment so her income would move up to that $794/m originally stated for SSI.

Your inlaw can apply for SSI, even IF they found out mom's $500/m, he would then get the additional SSI Supplement payment of $294/m

I'd have to look to see how much the SSI maximum for 2022, but it will be more than the $794/m I mentioned for this year.

Looks like it should go to about $840/m for 2022.

Best to you and him.
And happy new year

Last edited by galaxyhi; 12-30-2021 at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement