Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2022, 06:05 PM

7,595 posts, read 3,254,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Sorry about your cat MQ. Mine developed chronic kidney disease and chronic pancreatitis. He lived to be 20. The last two years cost me a fortune not to mention a lot of trauma with giving him sub Q fluids and daily meds and a cranky kitty. I'm sorry to say that if and when I get a cat again, I'm going to think long and hard about aggressively treating the chronic illnesses.

Yes, I decided not to put my Maine Coon rescue through all that. He had been spiraling down for 3-4 weeks and had lost 3 pounds very rapidly. I took him and had his bloodwork done over a holiday weekend by the time I got the last part of the results he had kidney disease and pancreatitis. He had been howling at the top of his lungs like I never heard before and he wanted to be held all the time (he was utterly miserable). If I wasn't working I suppose I could have strung it along a few weeks (but, my vet told me he had weeks and not months and that he likely had cancer also). I read that pancreatitis was extremely painful. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, but, within a week of those diagnoses I put him down.

I am not willing to watch my cats suffer like that. If one of the two remaining get sick, but, they don't act as Mr. Bugs did and appear to still be enjoying life then I would perhaps make different decisions. It was just so obvious and it all added up. I had just gone through my own year of intensive diagnosis for cancer and had been in the ICU, etc. I decided I wasn't putting my little fur balls through all that (all they have is the here and now and they don't project out into the future like we do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
That was kind of a surprise to me when I recently adopted a 16.5 year old cat from the shelter. Her owner had deployed and surrendered her. He had this cat since she was 4 weeks old but she did not have any medical care since 2017, which is ridiculous. My cats get annual wellness checks so any issues can be identified. This poor old gal has hyperthyroidism and it should have been very obvious since she was skin and bones. In just 2.5 weeks she's looking much better and sleeker 'cause she eats nothing except Lickables, which are high calorie (and expensive). She doesn't have enough good teeth to chew solid food.
I'm so glad you are helping the way you are... You cannot get pet insurance beyond 10 years of age. If you don't get pet insurance Day 0 you are stuck with preexisting conditions.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That my employer was planning on giving everyone a big fat raise after I left? Does that count???

Not unless you left involuntarily.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:17 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yes, I decided not to put my Maine Coon rescue through all that. He had been spiraling down for 3-4 weeks and had lost 3 pounds very rapidly. I took him and had his bloodwork done over a holiday weekend by the time I got the last part of the results he had kidney disease and pancreatitis. He had been howling at the top of his lungs like I never heard before and he wanted to be held all the time (he was utterly miserable). If I wasn't working I suppose I could have strung it along a few weeks (but, my vet told me he had weeks and not months and that he likely had cancer also). I read that pancreatitis was extremely painful. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, but, within a week of those diagnoses I put him down.

I am not willing to watch my cats suffer like that. If one of the two remaining get sick, but, they don't act as Mr. Bugs did and appear to still be enjoying life then I would perhaps make different decisions. It was just so obvious and it all added up. I had just gone through my own year of intensive diagnosis for cancer and had been in the ICU, etc. I decided I wasn't putting my little fur balls through all that (all they have is the here and now and they don't project out into the future like we do).
Well, if a cat is "yowling" in pain, that's pretty much a no-brainer! A lot of the cases with our pets aren't so black-and-white (and kidney disease, which MOST senior cats develop, can last for many years). Bottom line... They could cost you thousands of dollars at any moment! But are so worth it (I also have Maine Coons). I agree that our reliance on vets and their always-expensive tests, procedures, and treatments - especially for essentially young and healthy, but also very aged pets - has gotten out of hand lately.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Not unless you left involuntarily.
I might have waited had I known!

Old 01-08-2022, 06:30 PM

[quote=otterhere;62664361]I might have waited had I known![/QUOTE

How long though? Enough time for it to impact your pension?

I believe salaries will go up a lot because of the difficulty getting staffing with the millennial generation.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Well, if a cat is "yowling" in pain, that's pretty much a no-brainer! A lot of the cases with our pets aren't so black-and-white (and kidney disease, which MOST senior cats develop, can last for many years). Bottom line... They could cost you thousands of dollars at any moment! But are so worth it (I also have Maine Coons). I agree that our reliance on vets and their always-expensive tests, procedures, and treatments - especially for essentially young and healthy, but also very aged pets - has gotten out of hand lately.
It wasn't a no-brainer with Mr. Bugs. He howled since day one as he was a Feral that howled every night (and loud). Only his mother could know the difference between his younger howl and his I'm in freaking pain howl.

The key indicator was actually the weight loss. I had tried to get Mr. Bugs to lose weight for years and years and years (he was 22 pounds). Finally there was a new diet cat food he liked and over 2-3 years we got him down to 17 pounds. Mr. Bugs never got over his feral-ness and he ate his food to the bottom of the bowl no matter what. Then, suddenly in 3-4 weeks he lost 3 pounds. He quit eating.

All my cats are on Trupanion. Mr. Bugs wasn't, but, he was healthy as a horse up until the end.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:59 PM

One of mine - also 22 pounds (that's not overweight for a MC) suddenly lost a few pounds; everything appeared normal, though. It turned out to be asymptomatic (otherwise) undiagnosed HCM, which Maine Coons are prone to.

The vet didn't suggest an ultrasound, and I didn't think of it, but if either of us had, that would've been several hundred dollars every six months plus medication plus frequent bloodwork to monitor the medication.

They're less expensive than children, but only slightly!

Old 01-09-2022, 05:45 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
I might have waited had I known!
I knew 2 managers over the course of my career who retired, only to find out there was a buyout made available shortly after they retired. Even though they were managers, I guess they were not part of the "in crowd".

Years prior to this, I heard where one manager went up to another manager and said "I hear you are being laid off." It was news to her, and turned out to be true.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:14 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,003,187 times
Quote:
They're less expensive than children, but only slightly!
Which is why I won't be adopting any more pets. I just can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement