Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2022, 09:53 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,490,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My employer was the US Navy. I feel fairly confidant that they will continue paying my pension and my healthcare coverage. Of course a part of the deal is that as a 'retiree' I am technically a part of the Fleet Reserve. If Congress were to once again 'call up' all of the Reserves I would have to put on a uniform again.
Well if they don't then we are all up a creek and on our own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 10:05 AM

11,273 posts, read 9,894,595 times
Quote:
My employer was the US Navy. I feel fairly confidant that they will continue paying my pension and my healthcare coverage. Of course a part of the deal is that as a 'retiree' I am technically a part of the Fleet Reserve. If Congress were to once again 'call up' all of the Reserves I would have to put on a uniform again.
Hopefully, should that day come, they will have lots of younger reserves to tap first.

Old 01-09-2022, 10:23 AM

89,033 posts, read 85,593,405 times
Quote:
Same here. I have a state pension from a system that seems to be in pretty good shape. Still, my plan is to pay off my mortgage before I start collecting Social Security, just as a what-if strategy. If I have a place to live, I think I could survive on the SS.

I had the option to continue my work-provided life insurance in retirement. I don't pay for it, but I have to declare the premium they pay as income and pay taxes on it. I believe the value starts to diminish when I am 70 or 75.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:43 AM

37,677 posts, read 61,767,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Hopefully, should that day come, they will have lots of younger reserves to tap first.
I read an article in Navy Times once, about the USS Iowa BB-61. In 1985 it was decided to bring the ship out of mothballs and to return it to active service. But the Navy could not find any of the original manuals on how to operate the big gun turrets. So they called up a bunch of retirees, who had each served on the gun crews.

They had each former crewmember re-enact the procedures as best as they could remember, for each of the manned positions within each turret. By the time they were done they had re-constructed the entire procedure.

Part of the article was interviewing some of the retirees. They had a ball. Those old guys were in their 80s and 90s, and it was the best reunion they had ever been to.

Imagine guns with 16-inch bore diameter, and barrels over 66 ft long, that fire 2,700 lb projectiles.

When I retired, I had to attend a one-week class on how to be a civilian. During that class one of the issues that was brought up is that with young reservists when they are called up there is always a percentage who refuse to go. [that was a part of the rationale during Desert Storm #1 to primarily use reservists instead of Active Duty, so the reserve units could clean their ranks of people that would refuse to go] They have been trained and drawing paychecks for years. But when called on they refuse. Whereas whenever the Navy has called up old retirees, we always go. Even if we use walkers or wheelchairs, we go.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:52 AM

22,130 posts, read 13,287,159 times
Re: end-of-life pet care, I think an owner has to take on the responsibility of thinking and researching for himself; not just blindly follow everywhere the vet leads (that goes for the whole of the pet's life). It's a business, after all, and they have school loans to pay off, as well as fancy equipment! Look at the difference between vet care 50 years ago and today and ask yourself if all of this is REALLY necessary to give a pet adequate health care. As they age, especially, less is often more, and heroic measures to save or lengthen life may actually not be a kindness. It's okay -- and sometimes it's even your duty -- to say "no."

Old 01-09-2022, 12:45 PM

10,146 posts, read 6,539,815 times
Quote:
I read an article in Navy Times once, about the USS Iowa BB-61. In 1985 it was decided to bring the ship out of mothballs and to return it to active service. But the Navy could not find any of the original manuals on how to operate the big gun turrets. So they called up a bunch of retirees, who had each served on the gun crews.

They had each former crewmember re-enact the procedures as best as they could remember, for each of the manned positions within each turret. By the time they were done they had re-constructed the entire procedure.

Part of the article was interviewing some of the retirees. They had a ball. Those old guys were in their 80s and 90s, and it was the best reunion they had ever been to.

Imagine guns with 16-inch bore diameter, and barrels over 66 ft long, that fire 2,700 lb projectiles.

When I retired, I had to attend a one-week class on how to be a civilian. During that class one of the issues that was brought up is that with young reservists when they are called up there is always a percentage who refuse to go. [that was a part of the rationale during Desert Storm #1 to primarily use reservists instead of Active Duty, so the reserve units could clean their ranks of people that would refuse to go] They have been trained and drawing paychecks for years. But when called on they refuse. Whereas whenever the Navy has called up old retirees, we always go. Even if we use walkers or wheelchairs, we go.
I worked at the Navy base where all of the 16-inch guns were tested over the water. The location was selected specifically (in 1918) because the guns could be fired 23 miles down river over the Potomac River. There was a train that carried the gun turrets around the base, ironically named the "Dahlgren Bullet" since it went so slowly. I hated test firing days, as ceiling tiles would sometimes fall on our heads; glass doors would shatter; and roads were closed near the firing range. Funny enough, my last house was two blocks from the main gate, so I still heard all of the same noise. The sound waves could shake the house foundations.

Old 01-09-2022, 01:31 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,251,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Re: end-of-life pet care, I think an owner has to take on the responsibility of thinking and researching for himself; not just blindly follow everywhere the vet leads (that goes for the whole of the pet's life). It's a business, after all, and they have school loans to pay off, as well as fancy equipment! Look at the difference between vet care 50 years ago and today and ask yourself if all of this is REALLY necessary to give a pet adequate health care. As they age, especially, less is often more, and heroic measures to save or lengthen life may actually not be a kindness. It's okay -- and sometimes it's even your duty -- to say "no."
I agree. And you could say the same for human health care. The money spent for human health care may not come directly out of your pocket , because of insurance, but those human health providers have bigger loans and fancier equipment to pay for. It’s just, if not more, predatory than vet care.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:01 PM

89,033 posts, read 85,593,405 times
Quote:

This sounds like a great foundation for a movie.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:22 PM

37,677 posts, read 61,767,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I worked at the Navy base where all of the 16-inch guns were tested over the water.
Welcome to Naval Support Facility (NSF) Dahlgren, Va. Established in 1918. on 4,000 acres bounded by the Potomac River and Machodoc Creek in King George County.

The Dahlgren site was named the Dahlgren Naval Proving Ground in honor of Rear Admiral John Adolphus Dahlgren.

https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/nd..._dahlgren.html

Quote:
... The location was selected specifically (in 1918) because the guns could be fired 23 miles down river over the Potomac River. There was a train that carried the gun turrets around the base, ironically named the "Dahlgren Bullet" since it went so slowly.
If you have a dedicated train on a military base, it would not seem unusual to name the train after the name of the base.

I mean it is located in Dahlgren, Va.

Quote:
... I hated test firing days, as ceiling tiles would sometimes fall on our heads; glass doors would shatter; and roads were closed near the firing range. Funny enough, my last house was two blocks from the main gate, so I still heard all of the same noise. The sound waves could shake the house foundations.
My son attended AIT school at Fort Sill in Oklahoma, when he graduated we went out to visit him.
The base has a campground, the road to access the campground winds through the artillery range, and there are signs warning of low flying artillery rounds. One of the road signs had even been hit by an artillery round, our foster-children posed with the sign and I have a few photos.

A little farther along the road, traffic had to drive off the pavement a bit because artillery had made a bomb crater in the middle of the lane.

On the backside of the campground is a big rock bluff maybe 500 foot tall. When we got settled into our campsite our neighbors told us the previous day rounds were hitting the bluff.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:58 AM

6,645 posts, read 3,285,952 times
Quote:
That's good, but not every retiree is a former member of the United States' armed services.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement