Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 05:28 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,459,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You think it's WOMEN who clamor for war? When it's their kids potentially going? And they are less likely than men to own a business that would profit greatly from a war?!

Truly hilarious...when it comes to war, it's the menfolk who are hawks.
50% of our population is female, 50% of our voters are female.

If only the men go to war, the women are not personally threatened.

If the ranks of the military become completely mixed then females must consider that they could be drafted.

We need females to be required to register for the draft. That is the only way to deter future drafts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 09:33 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,319,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Did we switch over to the senior pet forum?
Was thinking the same thing…

Old 01-13-2022, 05:44 AM

6,478 posts, read 3,170,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Want to eliminate war? Get a constitutional amendment that those in the top ten percent of wealth, and their offspring, are automatically drafted to the front lines in any war. Hummina, Hummmina, but, but...
Excellent point.

Old 01-13-2022, 05:49 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,399,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
50% of our population is female, 50% of our voters are female.

If only the men go to war, the women are not personally threatened.

If the ranks of the military become completely mixed then females must consider that they could be drafted.

We need females to be required to register for the draft. That is the only way to deter future drafts.
Interesting theory...however, many women (who currently can't be drafted) think BEYOND themselves and CONSIDER the impact of war on others they don't necessarily only look at stuff that personally threatens them. Therefore at least SOME women are generally against war.

BTW - you're aware that it's been about 50 years since ANYONE has been drafted - male, female, or Martian. Wars don't work that way anymore because rich folks have no sense of nobless oblige and won't tolerate their sons (and maybe daughters?) going off to war.

Old 01-13-2022, 08:15 AM

10,103 posts, read 6,452,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
That's good, but not every retiree is a former member of the United States' armed services.....
Nope. but some of us worked for them as civilians. As someone living in a rural area, being employed at the Naval base was considered the best career you could possibly have and a lifelong one as well. It took me three tries to get a permanent position at Dahlgren Naval Base, and the third time I said that the only two ways I would be leaving would be either feet-first or retirement. Luckily retirement came first. There were several employees who died on the base, either in accidents (explosions, etc.) or natural causes (heart attack in the men's room).

Old 01-13-2022, 09:09 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,485,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Nope. but some of us worked for them as civilians. As someone living in a rural area, being employed at the Naval base was considered the best career you could possibly have and a lifelong one as well. It took me three tries to get a permanent position at Dahlgren Naval Base, and the third time I said that the only two ways I would be leaving would be either feet-first or retirement. Luckily retirement came first. There were several employees who died on the base, either in accidents (explosions, etc.) or natural causes (heart attack in the men's room).
(See the grumpy old men thread for clarification of the probable cause in that last aside... )

Old 01-13-2022, 09:52 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,459,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Interesting theory...however, many women (who currently can't be drafted) think BEYOND themselves and CONSIDER the impact of war on others they don't necessarily only look at stuff that personally threatens them. Therefore at least SOME women are generally against war.
I remember one recent popular politician who gave a speech saying that women suffer more from war than the men who die on the battlefields.

Personally I think it is the exact opposite.

Quote:
... BTW - you're aware that it's been about 50 years since ANYONE has been drafted - male, female, or Martian.
Our last draft occurred when I was a teenager.

Two of my brothers were drafted.

When I enlisted and stepped foot onto my first boat, every crewman who was already serving on that boat had previously been a draft-dodger. The drawing numbers came out and they each had low numbers, rather than wait to be arrested and drug to MEPs, they decided to volunteer for duty other than infantry.

In my eyes it feels as if our last draft was just the other day.

Quote:
... Wars don't work that way anymore because rich folks have no sense of nobless oblige and won't tolerate their sons (and maybe daughters?) going off to war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec0XKhAHR5I

Old 01-13-2022, 09:57 AM

19,830 posts, read 9,398,479 times
So now it seems that we have moved from the senior pet forum to a discussion on military matters.

I love the Retirement forum!!

It's just like having a discussion in real life with some very good friends (mostly), in which one might start talking about food prices and end up talking about van Gogh!

Old 01-13-2022, 10:17 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,980,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I remember one recent popular politician who gave a speech saying that women suffer more from war than the men who die on the battlefields.

Personally I think it is the exact opposite.
You would know as an ex-service member of the military. Having your husband, bf, or sons killed in a war is not quite as the same as you getting killed.

I missed the draft by a couple of years. When I was 16, I called into the selective service to register for the draft but they say they don't do that anymore. Personally I believe a military service is good for every young person but that's just me.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:22 AM

11,082 posts, read 6,917,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You would know as an ex-service member of the military. Having your husband, bf, or sons killed in a war is not quite as the same as you getting killed.

I missed the draft by a couple of years. When I was 16, I called into the selective service to register for the draft but they say they don't do that anymore. Personally I believe a military service is good for every young person but that's just me.
I agree. My daughter's high school boyfriend's life was saved from extreme mediocrity by joining the Air Force and being stationed in Italy for several years. He's been back in the states for several years and has a great, lucrative career. He's be lost without that military service (structure) and specialized training (something to do with satellites, as I recall). The kid was not a good student at all in high school, but he did well learning in the structured military environment.

The country would benefit from this as well. I'm going to leave it at that because I want to write a bunch of value judgments that would trigger people. Other countries around the world require it and I believe it does contribute to the betterment of the individual and the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement