Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 05:06 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times

Advertisements

A newly retired friend got COVID-19, was found unconscious by a neighbor. Wound up in the emergency room, racked up a monster medical bill, went bankrupt and is back driving a bus. . . sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 05:10 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Do people have to go bankrupt to settle medical bills? Can't a person make payments, however sized?

Old 01-05-2022, 05:11 PM

17,403 posts, read 16,553,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Sorry to hear about your Golden. I grew up with them. Lovely dogs.

I’ve had 4 die of cancer at 10+. There’s no easy answer as to what to do. All of them had different life outcomes, from 2+ years after diagnosis, to 10 days (pancreatic cancer).

You just have to evaluate your pets quality of life, and make the sometimes hard decisions from there.
Thank you. Dogs are amazing creatures who offer you their unconditional devotion. We were blessed to have 14 wonderful years with our baby. I'm sorry for your losses, too. You're right, they each have their own individual path to the rainbow bridge. You just have to love them and enjoy them while they're with us.

We have a 10 year old Staffy mix and a 7 year old German Shepherd that our Golden helped us to raise from young pups. They are wonderful, wiggly, happy girls who fill our lives with joy.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:12 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
A newly retired friend got COVID-19, was found unconscious by a neighbor. Wound up in the emergency room, racked up a monster medical bill, went bankrupt and is back driving a bus. . . sigh.
Didn't your friend have health insurance?

Old 01-05-2022, 05:24 PM

7,630 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher terry View Post
i have rescued many old dogs and the amount i spend depends on age and prognosis. I will not put a old dog through painful procedures. You have to know when to say goodbye no matter how painful. It’s the last gift we give our babies.
100%

Old 01-05-2022, 06:51 PM

18,122 posts, read 15,696,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
In my case, the hemangiosarcoma was not able to be definitively diagnosed without surgery. Confirmation of hemangiosarcoma and discovery of liver lesions happened during the splenectomy and subsequent biopsy. Palliative chemo was initiated after surgery.
I'm so sorry. HSA is such an evil cancer. My golden had that ticking time bomb in her, as did at least 3 of her littermates, I discovered a few years later. They all developed HSA (hemangiosarcoma) between 10 and 11 years old.

Emergency splenectomy and I opted to try chemo to buy her more high-quality time. It didn't work, as her HSA had metastasized by the time it was found. She was euthanized 3 months later.

If there's a worse way to have your heart ripped out while your savings gets drained, I don't know what it is. I would have rather lost a relationship than lose my girl. Thus ended my ability, emotionally, to have a golden in particular...or really any dog.

Have pets? Best to have a trust fund or a very significant pet care fund.

Old 01-05-2022, 07:07 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Did we switch over to the senior pet forum?

Old 01-05-2022, 07:14 PM

18,122 posts, read 15,696,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
It happens to be in that category of "things you should have known or expected..." It's high-cost, with variability and uncertainty, which is the point of this thread. Any big expense not planned for could derail someone who is living closer to the financial edge. It's why having a big enough cushion/emergency fund is important.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:08 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I was wondering this as well.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:28 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'm so sorry. HSA is such an evil cancer. My golden had that ticking time bomb in her, as did at least 3 of her littermates, I discovered a few years later. They all developed HSA (hemangiosarcoma) between 10 and 11 years old.

Emergency splenectomy and I opted to try chemo to buy her more high-quality time. It didn't work, as her HSA had metastasized by the time it was found. She was euthanized 3 months later.

If there's a worse way to have your heart ripped out while your savings gets drained, I don't know what it is. I would have rather lost a relationship than lose my girl. Thus ended my ability, emotionally, to have a golden in particular...or really any dog.

Have pets? Best to have a trust fund or a very significant pet care fund.
Oh, I soooo get it. I’ve lost 4 of 4 to cancer. There’s just no easy answer with canine cancer as unlike human cancer, unless surgery cures it, chemo is not designed to cure, only slow progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement