Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 10:53 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I believe you are generally need tested. Had a friend, a WW2 vet. He had a pension and SS and he couldn’t get any assistence from the VA. Too much income.
It also varies depending on whether you served in a war zone, etc. Some vets get more benefits than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 05:27 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Some of the nurses, the administrator, said I "look great!" I blush and say thank you. Meanwhile I am looking at other residents and saying to myself "they're so OLD!" Idk how old anyone is but I DO look great compared to them!
That made me laugh.

My next older brother, who is about 75 and not in great health, and married to a woman in terrible health, moved into an ALF and didn't last 6 months exactly because all those "old people" made him FEEL old.

They are currently in a senior apartment complex and really need to be in an ALF now, if only so there's someone to look after his wife if something happens to him. But I guess denial is more than a river in Egypt ...

Old 02-27-2022, 04:34 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,867 times
So, Tamiznluv, how are things going for you?

My mom lived in an independent living apartment. She liked it very much.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:48 AM

7,103 posts, read 4,536,107 times
This week I helped a friend move into a facility with both independent and assisted living apartments. It’s great for him because despite being only 70 Parkinson’s has taken a toll on him physically. The food in the dining room is good. You can also have it delivered to your apartment. He’s got a patio to sit on and enjoy the view. His ex wife dumped him in a crappy home with no privacy. She took away his phone and CC’s. Luckily he used the facility to call and between me and another friend we got his items back by threatening to call the police and once he had access to his money could afford a much better place. Now he has his privacy and dignity back.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:02 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
This week I helped a friend move into a facility with both independent and assisted living apartments. It’s great for him because despite being only 70 Parkinson’s has taken a toll on him physically. The food in the dining room is good. You can also have it delivered to your apartment. He’s got a patio to sit on and enjoy the view. His ex wife dumped him in a crappy home with no privacy. She took away his phone and CC’s. Luckily he used the facility to call and between me and another friend we got his items back by threatening to call the police and once he had access to his money could afford a much better place. Now he has his privacy and dignity back.
That was awesome of you to do for him!

I think that's a problem most don't think about, that unless you have a POA, your ex who may hate you may end up being the person able to make decisons. We went to a funeral for one of my fiance's friends in another state. He was living with his gf and her child for several years but never changed anything. Ex-wife was in charge of the funeral, and to us it was appallingly lacking. Not money wise, but just in terms of the lack of any warmth. GF and child, were not allowed to sit with family nor attend the after-ceremony nor acknowledged in any way. The half dozen Marine buddies (including my fiance) who traveled from across the country to be there, also were not invited to the after ceremony. The whole thing made me angry.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:19 AM

That’s really awful. The ex was trying to isolate him and hoping he would die as he didn’t change his will. He’s severely hearing impaired and it’s been 2 months of work to make this happen. I have quit doing anything I want to make this happen but we worked together for 15 years and have stayed friends in retirement. The next order of business will be to get his will changed to his siblings or their kids. That ***** doesn’t deserve a dime. She got half in the divorce. She’s always been a horrible person taking advice of a sweet, disabled guy for money he worked hard for. He has no children.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:21 AM

1,250 posts, read 679,047 times
Congrats on your new digs.

Can you say more about why it took you two hours to get up after falling?

Old 08-27-2023, 09:44 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Hello! A blast from the past!

I did move to that place that is half Independent and half Assisted living. I'm on the Independent side, 5th floor and have a great lanai that overlooks the parking lot and Alligator Pond! No gators though, they got rid of them years ago and none have come back in their annual mating seasons.

Yes, we do have a dining room and we get 3 meals a day. Sometimes the food is excellent, sometimes just okay and sometimes it just plain sucks! If I don't like anything on the menu I can order a hamburger/cheeseburger, grilled cheese with or without tomato. It's not bad.

Right now the elevator on the Independent side has been busted for 51 days!!!! The elevator on the Assisted side is fine but there is no connection between sides of building. Even though this is Independent, no one goes to the dining room except those on the 1st floor. The rest of us get our meals brought to us. We are getting very spoiled! See....my lunch has arrived while I have been typing. At breakfast time the server gives us options for two days beyond, so who remembers what you chose! It's always a surprise. Lol.

Ok, I'm kinda healthy, kinda happy but still kicking!

Old 08-27-2023, 08:45 PM

Glad you were able to make the move!!

Old 08-28-2023, 07:57 AM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Welcome back! Looking forward to your posts in all kinds of topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement