Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 08:15 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Bank and investment accounts can have beneficiaries named... payable on death (POD) or transfer on death (TOD) This is often preferable to having a joint account. The POD or TOD can name multiple beneficiaries by percent. So for example, each of 2 children can be named for 50% This would be separate from the person who is named POA on the account.
Make sure tod accounts are recognized by brokerages in your state …bank accounts are but not all states may recognize tod accounts on brokerage accounts even though they let you set them up .

Many years ago we found out that at that time our fidelity tod accounts were not valid in our state ….

Today they are but there still may be states that don’t recognize them.

Googling it shows this

Every state except Louisiana and Texas lets you name someone to inherit your stocks, bonds, or brokerage accounts without probate. It works very much like a payable-on-death bank account
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 08:35 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Make sure tod accounts are recognized by brokerages in your state …bank accounts are but not all states may recognize tod accounts on brokerage accounts even though they let you set them up .

Many years ago we found out that at that time our fidelity tod accounts were not valid in our state ….

Today they are but there still may be states that don’t recognize them.

Googling it shows this

Every state except Louisiana and Texas lets you name someone to inherit your stocks, bonds, or brokerage accounts without probate. It works very much like a payable-on-death bank account
Why am I not surprised at which states came up on your search?

Old 01-30-2022, 09:00 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Why am I not surprised at which states came up on your search?
No kidding. Always Texas screwing people up. Figures, we set up a TOD on our brokerage account there. No one said anything. Now what?

Old 01-30-2022, 09:14 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
No kidding. Always Texas screwing people up. Figures, we set up a TOD on our brokerage account there. No one said anything. Now what?
It might depend on what state the brokerage company calls home, or what state your beneficiaries live in.

The reason I say this is I had a custodial account for a grandchild. When he turned 18 I called about transferring it to him. Turns out, in some states the age is 18 and others it is 21. Account was in MD (where we all used to live), kid lived in NH, and I lived in VT. I was told by the account rep that I could pick whichever state law I wanted to apply, either where I lived or where the kid lived.

So it pays to ask the brokerage.

Old 02-04-2022, 07:50 AM

23,868 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:

I want to add that Sand&Salt made a thread, just got her answer, which is a big no in Texas. Her account is based out of Virginia but it didn't matter.

So now that I can't have a TOD on my brokerage account....

Quote:
Well, apparently you can "have" a TOD---our Texas banker helped us do it---but it won't be honored.

Yay for Texas! Maybe you better check your TODs. More work for the attorneys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement