Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 07:51 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To some extent, I've always wanted to move to FL.

December to February is usually pretty much miserable here in Appalachia. Anywhere outside of interior FL is unaffordable on my $100k, single white guy with no kids income.
I can assure you that there are plenty of people living in various Florida beach towns including my own that own their own places and get by quite well on less than $100K income. You're probably going to have to modify your expectations on size and maybe age but it's very doable especially if you're willing to consider a condo unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 05:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,249,758 times
Smile Keep the faith......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
I'm in constant anxiety waiting for my rent to go up.I've lived here 15 years and the owner has never raised it. I'm currently paying $1200 for a 2/2 1000 Sq.Ft. condo...nothing fancy...range needs replacing...moldy smells...But I live just 3.5 miles from work...and I'm paying way below current market raters. Even in the hood people are paying $1500.
I have been a model tenant..send in my rent payment on the 24th for the next month...When small things need to be done for maintenance,I have it done and deduct it from the rent. 5 Years ago I bought a refrigerator and did the same.
The owner lives in Memphis,I talk to her maybe 3 times a year and last saw her 2 years ago when she came down to visit family. Maybe that's why she may not be too aware of how hot the Miami rental market is....though I kind of doubt that. This is the same person that at the beginning of the pandemic actually contacted me first and mentioned that I could hold off paying the rent if I had troubles!
But I understand it is a matter of when than or if my rent goes up. I will have a problem paying market value;and moving is not an option...Where the hell can I go??. I can't afford to move either,specially coming up with moving expenses and deposits for any new apartments.
Sometimes I wish for another Category 5 hurricane to hit most of Florida...it would be the most certain way to curtail this real estate crisis.
Don't say that....we remember Wilma and Andrew.

I have a tenant in a condo I own since 2010. She and her husband moved in then; he passed away January 2019. He left her with nothing. She called me in tears. She pays me $1100 monthly for a 2/2 condo and I cannot/will not raise it.

I know she's a good tenant and that in itself gives me peace of mind.

Your landlord may feel the same.

Once you can get SS, you will have more coming in.

Last edited by Bette; 03-21-2022 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement