Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2022, 10:45 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times

Advertisements

We have talked about it and the entire family is aware of what we want.

Cremated.

Buried together in a Catholic cemetery. Doesn't really matter where because in 75 years nobody will know who we were anyway.

We haven't started looking yet but at 73 I feel we should look and pay for a spot so we take that burden off the family.

Wonder what the cost is? Cremation and burial plot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 11:22 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Catholic cemeteries have certain requirements - even for burial after cremation - whereas elsewhere you can just bury the casket or urn. I remember looking into it for my mother's cremains and finally decided to just keep them with me instead.

Direct cremation itself is quite reasonable; usually under $1k.

Old 02-04-2022, 02:00 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
We have talked about it and the entire family is aware of what we want.

Cremated.

Wonder what the cost is? Cremation and burial plot?
My M-I-L was cremated mid-2020, cost was approximately $1K. Family bought a double lot in a very nice cemetery a d purchased a granite bench as her memorial. Her cremains were placed in one of the bench supports. My S-I-L will be placed in the other bench support. My three B-I-L's will be placed in individual vaults surrounding the bench after cremation. Brass plaques for all are on the back side of memorial
Total cost from memory for the plots, bench, vaults, and plaques was $6500 - maybe.

None of wife's siblings are currently married and at their ages will likely never be. But there is space for additional cremation vaults on the double plot if marriage happens to any/all of them.

I was surprised to learn the plot cost from the Cemetery was lower than the Craigslist resale plot costs at same cemetery!

Last edited by MI-Roger; 02-04-2022 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-04-2022, 09:47 PM

202 posts, read 124,450 times
I kind of like the idea of my body being left out in the woods somewhere so that animals such as buzzards and worms can have something to eat. Then bacteria can clean up the rest. They're living organisms as well.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:52 PM

162 posts, read 76,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj538 View Post
I kind of like the idea of my body being left out in the woods somewhere so that animals such as buzzards and worms can have something to eat. Then bacteria can clean up the rest. They're living organisms as well.
Birds and worms and other animals have plenty to eat. They do not need to eat rotting and disease ridden human bodies. To properly cremate a normal sized human body, it takes one cord of wood. Of course most all cremation is done in gas ovens. Much less pollution.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:18 AM

Organic burial is a thing.

Good reads on the subject of NATURAL dying and disposition are "Final Rights" and "Caring for Your Own Dead," both by Lisa Carlson.

You do have to bury the body, though. No one wants to run across yours, all rotting and half-eaten, while hiking through the woods!

Old 02-05-2022, 02:49 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,968,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Have to say that's a pretty cool idea. I found a museum that takes skeletal donations. I'm not exactly sure what they do with them, if they do make them into an anatomy lab skeleton.

Maxwell museum of anthropology -

Osteology Body Donation Program The Laboratory of Human Osteology at the Maxwell Museum of Anthropology accepts the donation of skeletal remains to our Documented Skeletal Collection to be used in scientific research.

Can I donate my body to a medical school and donate my skeletal remains to your lab? - At the present time, we cannot accept the skeletal remains from medical school cadavers.... ....Please be aware that cadaver programs may decline donations due to traumatic injury, autopsy, extensive surgery, and some terminal illnesses.

Thanks for mentioning that they may only go so far to pick the body up. I'd assume that if the family still wanted to donate that they would have to arrange to have the body transported to where it's desired to go.

Some do donation to save the family from having to pay for a funeral and burial which I do understand because funerals have gotten very out of hand, similar to weddings.

My MIL spend a huge amount for their burial plot when FIL passed in 2006. They're not buried, it's above ground, made of marble. From memory, she spent over $100k which is crazy to me, but that's what she wanted. They're not buried here in NJ where the rest of their families are buried. I'm surprised she did not get a plot with the rest of the family.
Bonaventure Cemetery in Georgia is a gorgeous place to visit. The money spent for the statuary/mausoleums back then was probably comparable to what your MIL spent. A lot of history can be seen in the engravings. With the work you do, Roselvr, you would probably find it fascinating. I know I did.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:29 AM

162 posts, read 76,496 times
many states have strict laws that are enforced against burying bodies that have not been embalmed.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkyd View Post
many states have strict laws that are enforced against burying bodies that have not been embalmed.
What states are those; link? Because unless the body is traveling somewhere first, it's REALLY not necessary and is just an add-on expense.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:08 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I want cremation and no burial. Don't care what is done with the ashes. I believe in just passing through and going away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement