Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 05:56 PM

4,284 posts, read 5,949,308 times

Advertisements

We thought we had this covered when we bought a single Mausoleum Crypt 30+ years ago. Pre-construction pricing, zero percent financing, and our unit was to be in the bottom row of the 'cheap seats". The plan then was for us to be cremated and our ashes interred in the Crypt. Since the Crypt could hold 50 sets of cremains we envisioned this becoming a multi-generational family Crypt for our sons, their future wives, and future off-spring.

Well, late this past Fall we finally visited the long completed Mausoleum. We don't like our unit"s location within the enclosed Chapel portion of the Mausoleum, and overall the entire Chapel interior is butt ugly (in our view). Not at all like the Architectural renderings shared with us 30+ years ago.

Both sons are now in their early 40's and both are established in their careers in major cities many hours away. Neither son or their wife has any interest in being interred in our area so it will just be my wife and I. Why have any type of structure or monument for just two sets or cremains that will never be visited?

So now we need a different plan. Michigan does not allow Green Burials. Dumping of ashes beneath a favorite bush or tree is not legal. We cannot predict where we will be living at time of our demise to know if we will have a favorite spot outdoor spot.

Our youngest received his MD degree at a somewhat local Medical School which granted him a full-ride scholarship. Knowing the difficulty Med Schools face in obtaining cadavers for Gross Anatomy classes, and as a gesture of appreciation for the School's generosity, we are strongly considering donating our bodies to this same University.

Other ideas?

Last edited by MI-Roger; 01-23-2022 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 06:04 PM

4,854 posts, read 3,657,163 times
Cremation for me.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:06 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,976,762 times
What does creasing mean in this context?

Old 01-23-2022, 06:30 PM

4,284 posts, read 5,949,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What does creasing mean in this context?
Spell Check did not like Cremains. I corrected all instances of this electronic error after posting. You must have read the post as soon as I clicked the 'submit button.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:47 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,683,864 times
Why not have the kids spread the ashes outside of Michigan?

Old 01-23-2022, 06:49 PM

6,631 posts, read 7,364,568 times
Good ideas

Old 01-23-2022, 06:49 PM

820 posts, read 405,456 times
Cremation! No funeral or memorial. My kids will get to keep the money instead of enriching a funeral director paying for an archaic ceremony and all the extras.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:56 PM

740 posts, read 475,394 times
At university, for my major, I had to take a couple of courses that centered around cadavers. I can't really explain why, but because of those courses, I will not ever donate my body to be used in this fashion.

Again, I can't really explain why, but I would donate my body to a body farm, instead. I have been to the body farm at the university of Tennessee and I have used cadavers in college courses... and for some reason that I can't fully articulate-- what happens to your discarded body at the body farm seems far more natural and acceptable than what happens to your body as a cadaver used for research/teaching.

The jokes at the expense of the poor cadaver... silly, I know, but still... I'd rather decompose naturally and have creepy things crawling thru my nasal cavities or a vulture fly down to pluck my eyes out than have some student poke and prod at my personal parts... but that's just me...

If I had to give some kind of reason for my preference... it might be that I'd like my discarded body to be finally done with getting potentially f**ed over by humanity... give it a rest and give my body to nature as much and as soon as possible.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,492,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Cremation! No funeral or memorial. My kids will get to keep the money instead of enriching a funeral director paying for an archaic ceremony and all the extras.
Yep. Frankly, I don't care what happens to my ashes. I'll be dead. I hope my kids do whatever provides support and closure to them.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:01 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,619,493 times
Michigan here. Parent's ashes beneath the tree. Completely legal.

Michigan: Private Land

You are allowed to spread ashes on your own private property. You are also allowed to keep cremated ashes in an urn or container on your own property or in your home.

https://www.obryanlaw.com/enews/2016...emated-remains

If you aren't sure what home you will own, How about a few favorite spots around the state? If some gets sprinkled in Lake Michigan, and some in Lake Superior, and some in the Porcupine Mountains on state land, do you really think your kids will get arrested? Just pick where you want them to go and put it in your will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement