Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 09:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

My father worked at a naval shipyard, as a civilian employee electronics engineer, most work was with radar on ships. I remember back in the 1970s he made about $40k which seemed good at the time but with 9 kids it was pretty tight. I suppose he got a pretty decent dependent tax deduction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 11:24 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Physical therapy was in its infancy when my dad got out WW2 so he got his start in that with the help of the GI Bill (which he was always grateful for). He had the first PT practice in Orange County, CA, and did quite well with it.

He may have been inspired by his father who was a masseuse and fought the battle to make massage legit, back in the day. Grandpa could never settle down to any one thing: also a dog-treat salesman, laxative-creator, Watkins salesman, colonic provider, started his own church and church camps.....lol.

How fun to read about all the Linotype operators! My ex grew up with one in the basement and learned it. Inspired him to start his own printing co. in the 70s and I learned type-setting. It was between linotype and digital typesetting, so I had to do it seeing only one line at a time.

As far as contributing to society, I always felt privileged to be involved in printing since that is what jump-started civilization back in Guttenberg times.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:42 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
My Dad was a Chemist working in a wax foundry. His job was to develop waxes which would melt at a precise temperature for use in investment casting. He also worked in a candle factory for a few years.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:45 PM

900 posts, read 685,224 times
My dad was a chemical engineer and developed plastics. He also managed plants.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:47 PM

7,560 posts, read 3,241,406 times
For those who state they have no father; how about a father figure?

Old 01-24-2022, 12:56 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
My Father was a High School Teacher. When I was younger he had several summer jobs (plant security, taxi driver, tutor). We lived a frugal but good life. My Mother was a SAHM until after we kids were gone and my Father had retired. She delivered and picked up film at drugstores for about 10 years until she retired also. My Mom was 10 years younger then my Dad. My Dad died at age 68, my Mom at age 76.

I have one regret about my Dad. He was not a participating type Dad. My Dad was 40 when I, the oldest, was born. My Mom ran the show as far as we kids went. I was just beginning to learn about and appreciate my Dad as a man when he passed. Wish I had more time with him.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:22 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times
My father worked manual labor on farms in New York and then later at a packinghouse in Florida. There was no fancy upbringing for me and my sister, that is for sure

Old 01-24-2022, 01:28 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
For those who state they have no father; how about a father figure?
OR- what did their (single parent) mother's do?

Best

Old 01-24-2022, 01:37 PM

863 posts, read 795,685 times
My father was a burner/CNC operator for the naval shipyards on the West Coast. He specialized in the material used on submarines. When something was really difficult, they would fly him in to set up the machines or oversee the operation. Many times, he would do the actual cutting.

I watched him pierce a 2-inch hole through 10 inches of solid plate steel with a oxy-acetylene hand torch. The man was an artist with that and a plasma cutter.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:57 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Many in here are "engineers", and made good money.
The purpose of this thread is NOT for them to "put others down", bit to explore WHAT their fathers did while they were growing up.

Just exactly how did they contribute to the "maintenance or advancement of human civilization?"

My cousin on my father's side recently asked me "so..what did your father actually do?", And went on to say "all he'd (her father) tell us was "I'm not sure but it's TOP SECRET"!

I laughed. I went on to tell her that once I told her the story..as best and as when I knew it, that she'd understand.

See, I grew up in a very small town. One big "plant" provided jobs for 85% of any kid in my school (maybe more?).
I told her :" but NONE of us knew exactly what our square middle income (+/- if a manager) actually DID.

WELL, most of our fathers worked at "the plant".. meaning IBM Owego NY s "FSD" (Federal Systems Division).

If you look up ANY of IBM s involvement In the "space race," or more appropriately the "space program" of the 60s, you will find always mentioned the "FSD", AND while nodding to other areas of the country, the mention of IBM Owego, FSD (along with a at least a once $36 million contract (remember this is the 60s!) Helped the space program succeed.

Yup, so my father, worked on JFK s dream of "landing a man on the moon by 1969". And they succeeded! (Yes, I watched the lunar landing, on tv, at the age of 7).

You have to remember, that at the time, we were in a "space race" with Russia.

While many of us also remember in the 60s the "duck under your desk" or the "line up in the hall, bend over and kiss your a$$ goodbye" routine, due specifically to the Russian"Cold war", it was drilled into us (though we didn't know why) that, in order of importance, the Russians would : bomb Washington DC, then NYC (financial market s), then, (guess what?) We were #3 on their list.

Now you know why.

After landing man on the moon, "the plant" went on to develop equipment for the first space shut.

I watched it on provided tv in class in high school. We ALL held a collective breath, to be sure it went off/returned as planned.
Why?
Because most of our fathers worked on that project too!

So, what did YOUR fathers do, while raising you?

Best

My dad also worked for the Space program. He was a photographer, employed by RCA. Part of his job at times, was to go 'down range' and take photos of the missiles and rockets as they were making their projectory. Where I lived in Florida, I think almost all our parents or at least our dads, worked for the Space program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement