Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 07:16 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,338,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
rjm1cc,

Yes, it is not easy to access a safe-deposit box at the bank. My husband had the POA for his parents and was the will executor and it took him a while to get access to his parents' stuffs.

We keep our important documents in a fire safe box with two keys (I will have to remember to give the second key to my daughter).

I do have a digital record of all our documents which I store on SD cards and email key files to my daughter and one of my sisters. I have Fidelity accounts for years and have an assigned financial advisor. I am surprised that Fidelity had not informed me of the existence of FidSafe. Thank you so much for the information.
Yes I deal with Fidelity but do not remember how I found the site. You can allow access, on a file by file basis to one or more people and at any time or only after your death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 07:17 PM

9,116 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Have your lawyer keep a set of original legal docs. Their files should be is fire/water proof/resistant safes.

In many jurisdictions, safe deposit boxes are sealed immediately upon recognition of death and cannot be opened until the legal process has been instituted. Worst place for original legal documents.

Old 01-26-2022, 07:17 PM

2,636 posts, read 1,175,151 times
Aw Geez I had a will done and an Advanced Directive just before Covid back in 2018. It lists all of whom I want to get my money and property. Upon reading it all again I called my attorney just before Covid in 2019 to ask a question I didn't understand but he was so busy I never did find out the answer.

I need to update an instruction page but instead of typing everything out about bank accounts I will check with my banks and ask them to print out all of my account numbers to keep in my plastic file folder that I see now I must replace. Good idea on reminders for filters, bill paying and passwords. I didn't think of that.

I have been planning on scanning all my years of taxes and other important papers because I noticed the typed letters on paper fall off over time and the pen ink fades. So that is a project I want done. I will scan them on the sandisk stick not the passport portable disk drive that breaks down all the time.

I tell my Sister and SIL a few personal things I want such as bury my ashes with my pets ashes. I see now there is a lot more I need to do.

Thank you for thinking of sharing this and for all the good suggestions everyone here put in. So many people here know more than I do.

Old 01-26-2022, 11:05 PM

1,204 posts, read 934,432 times
I live near where my father spent his last years, and he authorized me to have access to his safety deposit box and gave me one of the two keys. When hospice told us it was now a matter of days, not weeks, I remembered reading here about how you lose access after death of the owner, so zoomed over and cleared out the box. After he died, I returned the keys and cancelled the box. So good advice from city data.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:24 AM

7,116 posts, read 12,657,474 times
A very useful posting. Time for DH & me to get busy...we've been quite lax.

Question? If you don't have relatives or friends younger than yourself who might not outlive you, how do you choose or find a trusted executor? Would an attorney act in this capacity--or?

Old 01-27-2022, 08:47 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
A, B, and C........and then D.

A: Mom had "The Doomsday File" in her file cabinet. She also had a print out of all the bank accounts, their numbers, and the last reported balances.

B: How many passwords do we want to keep around? I imagine when the cats off me, there will be a whole bunch of sites where I just go silent because no one knows I am here and they certainly don't have the passwords.

C: This morning, I had to take off early for an evolution at work. Got up at 4 AM, managed to get all the necessary stuff done to take off in about an hour but I wonder, for such a thing, do I need a check list? Between either A or B, age or the normal schedule becoming compressed, that it is harder to keep track of things in our head.

After years of not using them, I have returned to Day Timer to keep track of the little things, all the little things, of my work life. Age or just after 25 years of being a Vampirelle, my work life is much more complicated being a day person.

Or is it just Age that as we get older, we have to write more things down?

D: In the spy show Adderly, Adderly goes to the apartment of a woman who submitted a request to Miscellaneous Affairs. Arriving there, he finds a young man who says she has died and he is awaiting for the police to release her files so he can inform her friends. Mind you, it is a spy show so the real purpose is......, but that has always seem like a good idea to me, to have an address book or something in my desk so at my demise, my family can contact all my friends to tell of my passing.

DO I HAVE SOMETHING LIKE THAT? Well, my Christmas card list for 2021, all 150+ names on it, is there.

Finally, more things in the house are locked behind keys as oppose to electronics. It is more of a concern for an EMP but in the case of a follow up team, it would make it easier for them..............once they find the secret passages and get past the booby traps.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:12 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
We've finally gotten down to the footwork. DH has Alzheimer's and it's been like pulling teeth to get any information from him. He forgets. He gets angry/confused. He has to have it explained. And on and on for several years.

Finally at the advice of a friend I got a financial advisor to help and this has been a lifesaver. In a professional setting my old, reasonable husband seems to come back and cooperate. It's worth paying for.

I finally feel like we're making progress and am much more at ease with the whole annoying process. I'm fairly indifferent to the whole thing but don't want to leave a mess for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement