Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 07:01 AM

18,536 posts, read 31,811,984 times

Advertisements

I have a growth and income account that I have had for roughly 4 decades, I have recently added more money to it since the passing of my parents and selling the house. I had put a chunk of the money into the G & I account and it was doing fine, making lots of money and I was very happy, sadly, like everything else in this economy, the balance had gone down around 25K, so, needless to say, I'm sick over this.

I do remember way back when, it had done something similar, but as a friend at the time said, leave it, you don't need the money now, you have many more years for that, it will go back up again, to which it did...

So, I am still thinking not to panic, just leave the account, because it will go back up again, I know this, I like to think, but when I do my daily balances, I am not so happy, as is a lot of other people.
The rest of the money I had out into CD accounts, as at 60, I feel they were safer.

Im hoping the economy gets better and we can all start making money again. I'm not ready to retire as of yet, I have 5 -10 more years to go, so, it isn't like I'm depending on just this money...
however, no one likes to see things go down..... **sigh***

At my age, I'm thinking CD's are the best way to make money (I have several).......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 09:08 AM

107,465 posts, read 109,882,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have a growth and income account that I have had for roughly 4 decades, I have recently added more money to it since the passing of my parents and selling the house. I had put a chunk of the money into the G & I account and it was doing fine, making lots of money and I was very happy, sadly, like everything else in this economy, the balance had gone down around 25K, so, needless to say, I'm sick over this.

I do remember way back when, it had done something similar, but as a friend at the time said, leave it, you don't need the money now, you have many more years for that, it will go back up again, to which it did...

So, I am still thinking not to panic, just leave the account, because it will go back up again, I know this, I like to think, but when I do my daily balances, I am not so happy, as is a lot of other people.
The rest of the money I had out into CD accounts, as at 60, I feel they were safer.

Im hoping the economy gets better and we can all start making money again. I'm not ready to retire as of yet, I have 5 -10 more years to go, so, it isn't like I'm depending on just this money...
however, no one likes to see things go down..... **sigh***

At my age, I'm thinking CD's are the best way to make money (I have several).......

CDs are a guaranteed loss after inflation and taxes …

Old 01-28-2022, 01:39 PM

31,698 posts, read 41,167,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

however, no one likes to see things go down..... **sigh***]]

Checking your balances today should make you feel better. Also compare tomorrow compare the decline in the equity portion of your portfolio to the income portion which is what MathJak is perhaps suggesting.

I retired Jan 1, 2008 and have lost a lot more than you did since January 1 this year. Made a ton between Jan 1 2008 and today.

Wait I made a bunch since January 1 2021.

Do yourself a favor and don't look at your ROI from Jan 1 2022 until today. Look at your ROI from Jan 28 2021. until today and how are you doing? Still sad? Still going down hill?
If you have been doing this as long as you have do your remember 2018 and how well you did or didn't do?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/31/inves...day/index.html

2018 was a record-setting year for stocks, but it’s one investors would rather forget.

T
Quote:
he Dow fell 5.6%. The S&P 500 was down 6.2% and the Nasdaq fell 4%. It was the worst year for stocks since 2008 and only the second year the Dow and S&P 500 fell in the past decade. (The S&P 500 and Dow were down slightly in 2015, but the Nasdaq was higher that year.)
2018 was a record-setting year for stocks, but it’s one investors would rather forget.

The Dow fell 5.6%. The S&P 500 was down 6.2% and the Nasdaq fell 4%. It was the worst year for stocks since 2008 and only the second year the Dow and S&P 500 fell in the past decade. (The S&P 500 and Dow were down slightly in 2015, but the Nasdaq was higher that year.)

As far as the economy GDP had a boom in 2021 and 4th quarter GDP was up 6.9% with the pandemic and Omicron.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...cid=uxbndlbing

I just put money in my after tax accounts before coming here. one is down a little over 8%ytd, one which is hevvvvy equities and a more risky fund down 10% and another with high risk stocks down about 12%. Both of our tax sheltered accounts about 72% equities are down a little over 8%. Whoopie whoop, how many corrections have I lived with in my many years. One thing I don't do is listen to media talking heads trying to convince me to think like them that things are bad.

I do listen with a discerning ear to CNBC ignoring those who want to make money by changing my behavior.

Life is good and stay balanced and live and prosper. Dang 6.9% GDP during a pandemic and the market is soaring into the close today. Check tomorrow and see if you got any of your money back. My guess is your Growth/income portfolio is about $250K or give or take if you loss 25K
I feel awfully darn good about things.

Now talk about taking a loss. How are those CD's looking with rising interest rates? If you want to lock up after tax dollars that you don't need and want safety and return look into I bonds they are currently paying 7.12%

Last edited by TuborgP; 01-28-2022 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-28-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
CDs are a guaranteed loss after inflation and taxes …
That's why equities come with risk and reward. But time somehow always ends up with reward. Now may be a time to rebalance away from riskier assets to more value oriented as opportunity presents.
This is the advantage of pensions and SS you are able to stay in the game. It is easier to do in my after tax accounts. I bonds make me feel better and get their share for now.

I don't fully understand the attraction of CD's right now. I can get .50% in a high yield saving account with Goldman Sachs and can withdraw money after a week. I can get 7.12% with I bonds and have access to the money after a year with a penalty for the last three months which still leaves a much higher rate of return than bank CD's. Goldman's Marcus is paying .15% on a six month CD and .55% on a year CD. I am not worried that their Marcus High Yield is going to go down from .50% and if anything will go up with inflation projected to be around awhile.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:24 PM

If we continue to fall I will do the opposite and move from one of my conservative models to a bit more in the growth model ….right now I am poised pretty conservatively down a mere 3%

Old 01-28-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
If we continue to fall I will do the opposite and move from one of my conservative models to a bit more in the growth model ….right now I am poised pretty conservatively down a mere 3%
I figured as much. Hard to pass up. Be interested in seeing what the news letter does over the next few weeks. I think I am going to love Blue Chip Growth and Growth Co even more than I historically have. Contra fund could become sweet again.
Since I rode the Bogle index part of my portfolio down I have to ride it back up or down depending on what the future holds.

Volatility is when most money gets made. Pundits try to scare and get people to sell low say they can jump in and buy low and ride it back up on their loss.

One persons loss can be another's future fortune.

Today was sweet, makes the knife wounds of the last couple of weeks start to heal. Who knows the hands may be bleeding again next week but that's the way it goes. Will see how much I put in next week. This is all after tax. Tax sheltered is the same old same old.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I figured as much. Hard to pass up. Be interested in seeing what the news letter does over the next few weeks. I think I am going to love Blue Chip Growth and Growth Co even more than I historically have. Contra fund could become sweet again.
Since I rode the Bogle index part of my portfolio down I have to ride it back up or down depending on what the future holds.
I am using a hybrid of the income model but with gold , commodities, a strategic real return fund and some bitcoin riding shotgun on inflation ….

I am 100% invested but as soon as some risk is shed if we fall lower I will elevate the equity level by adding back in the growth portfolio a bit

Old 01-28-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I am using a hybrid of the income model but with gold , commodities, a strategic real return fund and some bitcoin riding shotgun on inflation ….

I am 100% invested but as soon as some risk is shed if we fall lower I will elevate the equity level by adding back in the growth portfolio a bit
Is this new money or repositioning existing fund assets?

Old 01-28-2022, 02:41 PM

Repositioning …..

I did it March 2020 and it worked out well …took profits and migrated it back over 2021 ..

My equities range depending on whether we hit bear market levels or not …..the bulk is still safe and sound in the core portfolio.

It took a while but I finally got in all the money I wanted to get in …..we put buying the condo on hold up in westchester

Old 01-28-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Repositioning …..

I did it March 2020 and it worked out well …took profits and migrated it back over 2021 ..

My equities range depending on whether we hit bear market levels or not …..the bulk is still safe and sound in the core portfolio.

It took a while but I finally got in all the money I wanted to get in …..we put buying the condo on hold up in westchester
That's how are situation differs. I am still dealing with new money going in weekly plus. At this age and retirement longevity it is a interesting and blessed position to be in.
I never could embrace game over and am glad I didn't. Because we both intend to leave our kids a comfortable nest egg we have depending on accounts a decent time horizon.

I hope our dialog is helpful to the OP so that he can relax and use the current market climate to his advantage so he is prosperous and feels he made good decisions when retirement comes and from then forward. He has big decisions as we all did and do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement