Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 11:53 AM

7,495 posts, read 6,288,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
This song came to mind while shopping for greeting cards. Saw Valentine's Day cards And also Easter cards ! Christmas, didn't we just celebrate ? !

As you mature, become more vintage, does time pass more quickly ? It seems only yesterday, I would be attending high school in fall, sophomore, that was 61 years ago !
Junior high, 7th-9th grade.

History, my home school granddaughter, studying history, the Vietnam War, asked me my memories !
I long ago decided that time is not linear with respect to age. I’m 84 and now a year is about like a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 12:18 PM

13,681 posts, read 9,768,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
Here’s a sobering thought.....
Do you realize that 1970 and 2022 are as far apart as 1970 and 1918? (Wifey saw this on FB)
Indeed. Now consider how vastly the world changed between 1918 and 1970, and comparatively how little it changed between 1970 and 2022.

In 1918, how many people had indoor plumbing, electrical devices (radio, spark-ignition furnace, telephone), cars or a college education? Then compare to 1970.

In 1970, computers managed financial transactions and scientific calculations. We drove around in cars with 300 hp, listening to music. We had houses with heating and air conditioning. We called each other on the phone, sometimes long-distance.

There's absolutely no comparison in how quickly progress moved THEN, vs. how slowly it moves NOW. No wonder time slows down.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:26 PM

4,497 posts, read 3,946,651 times
I remember when I was a kid and Summer seemed to last F-O-R-E-V-E-R-. I miss that.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:31 PM

12,096 posts, read 8,483,847 times
Makes me think of Andrew Marvell's "To His Coy Mistress." https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...s-coy-mistress

"But at my back I always hear
Time’s wingèd chariot hurrying near;
And yonder all before us lie
Deserts of vast eternity."

Or like the farmer's used to say, "You gotta make hay while the sun shines."

I experience time like a rubber band, sometimes stretching on forever and sometimes snapping back. It's my weeks that speed by. Is it already Sunday again?

Old 01-29-2022, 04:26 PM

1,400 posts, read 774,680 times
From the movie It's a Wonderful Life "Youth is wasted on the wrong people."

Old 01-29-2022, 04:28 PM

7,495 posts, read 6,288,550 times
Anna Nalick song “Breathe”

'Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable,
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table.
No one can find the rewind button, boys,
So cradle your head in your hands,
And breathe... just breathe,
Oh breathe, just breathe

Old 01-29-2022, 07:12 PM

12,096 posts, read 8,483,847 times
I'm lovin' the posts here. You all make me smile.

And remember Willie, who wrote the song -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8-AItPNljA

Old 01-29-2022, 07:25 PM

4,855 posts, read 3,662,440 times
Quote:
This song came to mind while shopping for greeting cards. Saw Valentine's Day cards And also Easter cards ! Christmas, didn't we just celebrate ? !

As you mature, become more vintage, does time pass more quickly ? It seems only yesterday, I would be attending high school in fall, sophomore, that was 61 years ago !

History, my home school granddaughter, studying history, the Vietnam War, asked me my memories !
What makes me realize how fast time is flying is my friends and acquaintences are dying. I am 66 and like, when did we all get so old?

Dateline had the Carla Jan Walker case last night, damn, I live in the same town, cruised the same streets she did, really brought back memories of my late teen years.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:36 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,619,408 times
I love that song. Writer/performer Willie Nelson. (Has he ever done a bad song? Nope.)

It's been so long, now
But it seems now, It was only yesterday
Gee, ain't it funny how time slips away?....

Old 01-30-2022, 10:31 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,081,867 times
Quote:

It does......but I rather think it is because of how my work has shifted.....and my life with it.

When I was a Vampirelle, a night shift worker, I worked a solid 8 hours through. I could haul my breakfast and lunch in with me to work, not take up that time at home, pull off a take off in 90 minutes. At work, I could spend that time writing in my diary, downloading and printing out my pictures, taping them in, talking on the Net to my heart's content. Come home, put all that behind me, and dedicate my life in other directions.

That and I had my Mount Olympus card then, too.

But now I am a day worker, work 9 hours with an hour for lunch, at least. I can't haul my breakfast in with me. Morning takeoff time takes 3.5 hours which includes breakfast, prepping the cats for the day, writing my diary thoughts in the morning, taping pictures in. Much but not all of my Net talk has been pushed to my off work hours and in the evening, I am talking on my NSFW sites. I am no longer a Goddess and can't push myself into extremes.

Essentially, what I did up to almost 4 years ago has now been shifted away from another's time to be pushed off into my free time, so more of it is used and less of it is available to me.

Add to it that now meals cannot be as carefree prepared as before, ie spaghetti with white wine & cheese, a can or two of seafood, croutons, and need more time, more focus. Even if it is beef bean stew in pitchers in the refrig for 3 or 4 nights, somewhere, it needs a few hours preparation.

As far as Christmas, V Day, Easter cards, well that "calendar" has been upset on me for decades due to multiple reasons. Take January, for example. For many years, it was a split month where the first 2 weeks were not in session and different from the last 2 weeks where we were in session.

Or Renfests. Once upon a time, things all worked out. There were belly dancing conventions in January, Sherwood Ren Fest in Feb-March and then Scarborough in April and May.

But Sherwood shifted from Feb to March-April because they were getting rained out in Feb. Good for them, not necessarily so great for others such as the vendors who lost 4 weeks of sales. For me, well, in February, they were the only show in town, so there was no competition to them, to the schedule with what to do.

But in March, then there is spring break. Then other people, other activities are coming out of winter. There is spring break, there are certifications, there is Shimmymob, there is Eeyore's Birthday, there is Scarborough. Even if they don't all fall on the same weekend, there is the question of how much personal energy one has to go to activities weekend after weekend?

And maybe on the grand picture, we all suffer from that, the increase competition (or perhaps the lack of in some ways) of our world where our available personal energy is eaten up. About the lack of as what we are familiar with gets bought up and taken away from us, forcing us to change to the new method, again eating up our personal energy.

Different way, possibly of it, but then again, when one is young, perhaps accepting change is easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement