Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 07:37 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

There have been numerous discussions about folks spending major holidays alone (ad nauseum), and honestly, I never considered Memorial, Labor, or Veterans Days to be among them, but this is probably the first MD weekend for which I DON'T have plans (I always had my usual weekend activities, at least, which have lately sort of petered out), and now I realize I'm feeling -- as they say -- some kind of way about it. I am actually surprised people still travel for it given gas prices and just the generally overcrowded conditions everywhere, but my SM tells me they are! Is this a holiday you celebrate in some way and, if so/not, what is your tradition? I guess I could look for an open pool...

Last edited by otterhere; 05-28-2022 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 07:43 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Usually you can find some good sales on Memorial day. That could be helpful if you need any high-cost items.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Usually you can find some good sales on Memorial day. That could be helpful if you need any high-cost items.
Never thought of that! But I'm not a recreational shopper, nor do I need any big-ticket items.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:54 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
There have been numerous discussions about folks spending major holidays alone (ad nauseum), and honestly, I never considered Memorial, Labor, or Veterans Days to be among them, but this is probably the first MD weekend for which I DON'T have plans (I always had my usual weekend activities, at least, which have lately sort of petered out), and now I realize I'm feeling -- as they say -- some kind of way about it. I am actually surprised people still travel for it given gas prices and just the generally overcrowded conditions everywhere, but my SM tells me they are! Is this a holiday you celebrate in some way and, if so/not, what is your tradition? I guess I could look for an open pool...

This weekend I'll be reflecting on the meaning of Memorial Day as we honor the men and women that made the supreme sacrifice serving our nation in the military.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:58 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Probably go to the cemetery.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:00 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Quote:

SM? Sadomasochism?

I have never done much for Memorial Day. Admittedly nothing to observe the true meaning of the holiday. Well, once I went to a concert where some patriotic music was played along with a moment of remembrance for those who died. But I had my husband, so we did nothing together.

One of my mainstays for activities is going to the gym, but even that was cancelled due to Memorial Day.

On Monday, my community is having a dinner by the pool, but I don't really want to do that...don't love potlucks, can't or don't want to eat most of what people bring, don't get much of socializing with most of my neighbors.

Like with the more major holidays, I try to focus on the fact that the meaning and especially the rituals mean little to me. Of course I like the idea and practice of gratitude (everyday, not just on Thanksgiving) and independence and remembering people who sacrificed their lives. But I really don't enjoy traveling, crowds, etc.

And yup, amazing that people are still traveling, what with gas prices and the crowded conditions, with Covid still around to at least some extent. It reinforces what I always say, that people find the money, time, and energy to do what they want. Within reason of course. Many people would love a mansion or fancy car but can't come up with that kind of money. But a new iPhone or expensive cosmetic services or non essential travel with high gas prices? For example, I have a neighbor who is moving to Florida. When our condo here in Georgia raised the monthly fees from $350 to $358, she said she would have to move if they went up $1 more since she couldn't afford it. But the condo in Florida is $370 a month! Suddenly it's no longer an issue.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:09 AM

SM = "sadomasochism" indeed!

I do, in fact, traditionally make my daily walk at a cemetery on MD and VD (and Easter) since I know there will be plenty of other people there as opposed to most days, when it's fairly deserted; this started back when I was somewhat afraid to walk or hike in isolation, but I managed to get over that fear during the pandemic when people were suddenly afraid to hike TOGETHER, and many remain so.

Your example of affording what you want to afford reminds me of innumerable conversations I had with coworkers over the years who insisted they longed to, but couldn't afford to, retire. I would sit down with them and go over their expenses (I'm an infamous skinflint); do you REALLY need: acrylic nails, a new leased car every two years, dinner and usually also lunch out every day, a new wardrobe every year, your hair professionally cut and colored every six weeks, two trips or cruises a year, etc.? Yes, yes; all those things were essential. So I guess you have to keep working to pay for it, I would conclude!

I don't know at what point, as I've said before, Americans will curtail their driving (not to mention their use of gas for boats, ATVs, and for other recreational purposes). There probably isn't one as long as it's still available. Still, it's surprising. I wouldn't choose the busiest weekend of the year to go ANYWHERE, but just me! We retirees have the luxury of travelling "whenever," after all.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:14 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
I'm alone, alone. My 2 besties are married, haven't heard from them, so they may have plans. I'm fine with it. I need to mow, lol.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:17 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
I am actually surprised people still travel for it given gas prices and just the generally overcrowded conditions everywhere, but my SM tells me they are!
Why? It really doesn't have that much of a dollar impact on the overall cost of a trip. Even if you drive a total of 500 miles and your car gets 30 miles/gallon, and even if the cost of gas has risen $2/gallon, that's only a total increase of ~$33 to the cost of your trip. I doubt that would make someone stay home in lieu of traveling.

Quote:
Is this a holiday you celebrate in some way and, if so/not, what is your tradition? I guess I could look for an open pool...
We're flying to Vegas tomorrow morning. On Memorial Day, we'll be relaxing out at either the hotel's main pool(s) or the quieter tower suites pool(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m95...TeamClareVlogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl-c...l=JulieTravels

Old 05-28-2022, 08:26 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
My family tradition is to visit the graves of our ancestors in part because so many served in the Armed Forces.

Most of my family are interred in pioneer cemeteries and they aren't maintained by a caretaker, so part of the tradition is for the extended family to meet and care for the graves, then we have a big picnic and reunion after.

It's a great way to connect with our extended family we don't see otherwise, and connects us through our family that's gone on. My family came to this state long before it was a state, and to North America in 1620, so passing on the stories to the kids is a big part of maintaining the family.

I love Memorial day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement