Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 12:31 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

I like retirement because I dont have to do what others say. Im my own boss, and I make an excellent boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 11:23 AM

344 posts, read 144,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
What in the world are "data charts"?

So you're unconcerned if this democratic republic turns into a dictatorship or not?

Sure, I'm quite happy with my retirement.
Data charts are used for financials , including stocks/futures, long term charts. the weekly's,

I can figure the rest out myself, besides they just lie about most stuff anyway.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what is meant by "run amuck" re: retirees.
Just look around, run a muck / means obese / drunk, need I continue?

Old 07-10-2022, 01:29 PM

2,028 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I enjoy retirement a lot.

Only negative is low income. Don't want to go into the particulars, but once I took the time to think about it, I'm OK with it.

Can't (don't always want) have more.
Same here. I knew that would be the case; i became disabled so i really had no choice but to retire early.

Also the stress at my job was incredible. I do feel that i'm blessed to wake up every day when i want, and not have to go and work for someone every day. But it's very true that although i can "do what i want," i can't do EVERYTHING that i'd like to do! Just not enough money.

But i still love being retired. I moved to the state that i always dreamed of living in. We all gotta just do the best we can.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:57 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,023 times
Still hard to believe this September I will be retired a year which followed a very long nursing career. Don't think I have felt the full effects of retirement yet as right after I retired my SO and I were busy getting our R.I. home ready to sell which happened the end of April. And right after closing we relocated to The Villages a 55+ community in central Florida and purchased and moved into a new home the beginning of June. And since then most of our time has been spent decorating our new home and doing all the things one has to do when they relocate to a different state. But I must say aside the business, I love being retired especially in a new state, in a nice community and neighborhood with friendly helpful neighbors. And going places mostly by golf cart is fun and much easier on the wallet as our golf cart gets 45 miles to the gallon. Thus far we are happier than we ever imagined we would be retired and where we chose to retire to.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:11 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Congratulations! You don't mind the heat and humidity?

Old 07-11-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Congratulations! You don't mind the heat and humidity?
You learn if you want to live in the south you do your active things in the morning and later in the day when it is not too hot. Actually I can tolerate the heat much better than the cold winters in R.I. This past winter was my last winter in R.I. and my 1st being retired and found I never wanted to leave the house. At least where I am now even in the intense heat we are a short walk to our neighborhood pool and this is where we met most our neighbors. And our almost daily pool excursions has become a social event and we enjoy learning about all the activities our neighbors are participating in, restaurants they have gone to, what's on sale at Publix, etc. If you are not in the mood to chat it is easy enough in the pool to stay clear of those conversations and do your own thing. I know you have been dabbling with the idea of relocating in retirement so you may want to do a lifestyle visit in The Villages. BTW, this is not just a couples community. Four of our immediate neighbors which one is male and three are females are single and none have any regrets moving here and have joined singles clubs where they have met other singles that share similar interests from playing golf to oil painting. My former R.N. work colleague of 20 years that retired the same time as I and is single is moving into her new home tomorrow which is located a 10 minute golf cart ride from me. She is very excited about starting this next chapter of her life. Thanks for the congrats.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:19 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Still hard to believe this September I will be retired a year which followed a very long nursing career. Don't think I have felt the full effects of retirement yet as right after I retired my SO and I were busy getting our R.I. home ready to sell which happened the end of April. And right after closing we relocated to The Villages a 55+ community in central Florida and purchased and moved into a new home the beginning of June. And since then most of our time has been spent decorating our new home and doing all the things one has to do when they relocate to a different state. But I must say aside the business, I love being retired especially in a new state, in a nice community and neighborhood with friendly helpful neighbors. And going places mostly by golf cart is fun and much easier on the wallet as our golf cart gets 45 miles to the gallon. Thus far we are happier than we ever imagined we would be retired and where we chose to retire to.
I'm glad that you are enjoying your retirement. The Villages sounds like a great retirement community. I never would have thought that I'd be looking into The Villages, myself, but the more I read about it the better it seems. Yeah, I think I could get used to driving a golf cart around and going from one fun activity to the next.

Have fun, you've earned it!

Old 07-11-2022, 02:06 PM

I am on year 23 of Retirement. Many, many things change after the first year. My worst day in those years was better than any day I ever had ,working any job. Especially now when mankind's compassion on others is almost non existent.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm glad that you are enjoying your retirement. The Villages sounds like a great retirement community. I never would have thought that I'd be looking into The Villages, myself, but the more I read about it the better it seems. Yeah, I think I could get used to driving a golf cart around and going from one fun activity to the next.

Have fun, you've earned it!
Wanting to escape cold inactive winters was the incentive to relocate to The Villages. And as my late career Navy father would remind gently from time to time I was getting " broad in the beam" I did not want that to be an issue in retirement. And if I retired in the cold north with no longer having an active 8 hour a day job that for sure would happen. If The Villages is of interest to you I highly recommend doing a lifestyle visit which gives you a taste of what it is like living here. It is definitely not the place for everyone especially if you are a city or beach person and need to have the beach close by and city amenities. But if you are looking for a place you can be active in just about ever type of interest you could think of you would be hard pressed to find another 55+ community that has the variety and volume of activities The Villages has to participate in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement