Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 04:43 PM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Wanting to escape cold inactive winters was the incentive to relocate to The Villages. And as my late career Navy father would remind gently from time to time I was getting " broad in the beam" I did not want that to be an issue in retirement. And if I retired in the cold north with no longer having an active 8 hour a day job that for sure would happen. If The Villages is of interest to you I highly recommend doing a lifestyle visit which gives you a taste of what it is like living here. It is definitely not the place for everyone especially if you are a city or beach person and need to have the beach close by and city amenities. But if you are looking for a place you can be active in just about ever type of interest you could think of you would be hard pressed to find another 55+ community that has the variety and volume of activities The Villages has to participate in.
I love the beach but The Villages is within a reasonable drive to some really nice beaches. The sheer variety of activities is what interests me. I like the idea of having something fun to look forward to every day.

We are currently living in a regular suburban neighborhood which has been a perfect place for raising our kids but there really isn't much here for empty nesters unless you really enjoy working in the yard - which I am getting less and less enamored with each year - and/or spending your days taking a walk or a bike ride around the neighborhood. It's time for us to start planning the next phase of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 06:01 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I love the beach but The Villages is within a reasonable drive to some really nice beaches. The sheer variety of activities is what interests me. I like the idea of having something fun to look forward to every day.

We are currently living in a regular suburban neighborhood which has been a perfect place for raising our kids but there really isn't much here for empty nesters unless you really enjoy working in the yard - which I am getting less and less enamored with each year - and/or spending your days taking a walk or a bike ride around the neighborhood. It's time for us to start planning the next phase of life.
The neighborhood you describe you are living in is exactly what we just left. Our buyers were a 30 something professional couple expecting baby # 1 and were more than thrilled to have been able to buy in this very family oriented neighborhood. Both our neighbors who lived across the street from us although a little younger for most of the 32 years we lived there are looking to move out also when they retire in a few years, and like we did hand the baton to a younger couple. I did love my R.I. home and neighborhood, but at our age and stage in life having warm winters living in a one level smaller foot print lessens time and $$ needed to maintain. Sometimes in life bigger is not always better.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
The neighborhood you describe you are living in is exactly what we just left. Our buyers were a 30 something professional couple expecting baby # 1 and were more than thrilled to have been able to buy in this very family oriented neighborhood. Both our neighbors who lived across the street from us although a little younger for most of the 32 years we lived there are looking to move out also when they retire in a few years, and like we did hand the baton to a younger couple. I did love my R.I. home and neighborhood, but at our age and stage in life having warm winters living in a one level smaller foot print lessens time and $$ needed to maintain. Sometimes in life bigger is not always better.
Yep. We have a big backyard perfect for batting practice, tons of kids in the neighborhood, a nice community playground and clubhouse. We have truly enjoyed our time here but I feel as though this season of life is drawing to an end for us. It's time to look towards the future and our next stage of life - which I actually am looking forward to.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:33 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Are there no retirement communities for people who enjoy cold weather? There seems to be an unspoken assumption that every retiree wants to live in 100 degree temps with 80 percent humidity year round. I could get into hanging around the pool, but doesn't that get old 365 days a year? I personally happen to enjoy refreshing cool summers in which I can continue engaging in a variety of outdoor activities without falling over dead from heat stroke as well as beautiful snow in the winter.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:57 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Are there no retirement communities for people who enjoy cold weather? There seems to be an unspoken assumption that every retiree wants to live in 100 degree temps with 80 percent humidity year round. I could get into hanging around the pool, but doesn't that get old 365 days a year? I personally happen to enjoy refreshing cool summers in which I can continue engaging in a variety of outdoor activities without falling over dead from heat stroke as well as beautiful snow in the winter.
Of course there are retirement communities in the colder states. I'm with you on the cold weather, hell, I'm in Canada right now, but they don't exactly welcome retirees as permanent residents, so when all is said and done here and I'm shown the door at the border, I will be looking to relocate from my permanent home in NJ to somewhere upstate NY or in New England. A quick search just showed me that there are several such communities in the Berkshires of Massachusetts, something I would look at if I decided to move to a retirement community, which I'm not sure I would.

I mean, I know I like the Berkshires, but not so sure about the retirement community part. If the old hippie/artsy/music/books/nature vibe of that area isn't for you, I'm sure there are other retirement communities that would be a better fit, but the point is that yes, of course there are retirement communities in cold places.

Florida is a beautiful place to visit, but you couldn't pay me to live in that heat and humidity. Hell, it's been too hot and humid here in the Toronto burbs recently, and I'm trying to get back up north to the lake just east of the middle of nowhere. As a matter of fact, before I met the Canadian, I had my eye on Vermont, where I'd been a few times, but they will tax my NY state pension to death, so regretfully, that's out.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I'm done with snow shoveling, myself, but Carmel, Indiana looks sort of interesting. There are some nice over 55 communities in Virginia. Just look around in an area that seems nice to you.

I love the mountains but no way do I want to deal with ice and snow and treacherous roads. Give me sunshine and warmth.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:16 AM

In a 55+ community, the HOA would take care of snow removal, and where do you need to go when you're retired? I'll bet some Villagers never leave the complex...

Old 07-12-2022, 12:54 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,346,284 times
Quote:

Yes, there are many of them here in Maine where i moved.

Right now i'm still in a house that i own with 2 Acres, but someday it may get to be too much for me. We are actually trying to downsize right now but can't find any ranchers that don't sell within a day or so.

There are lots of places for retirees in this state. I cannot stand heat and humidity and i always wanted to live up here. We love it. Yes the Winters are cold but i don't get bored. The other seasons make it worth it.

Old 07-12-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
In a 55+ community, the HOA would take care of snow removal, and where do you need to go when you're retired? I'll bet some Villagers never leave the complex...
They probably wouldn't clear off your car and shovel your walkway or driveway. The Villages is an active 55+ community and the residents either do their own yard work or hire it done. Most of the yards are small and easy maintenance so anyone fit enough to golf, play pickle ball and dance in the squares is fit enough to mow their lawn.

I don't expect everything to be done for me, I just want less of it to do - smaller house, smaller yard, NO snow shoveling. I want to be able to get to/from activities throughout the year without worrying about slipping on ice. And I do expect that we'll be taking little trips here and there outside of the retirement community.

Old 07-12-2022, 02:06 PM

I actually want just a little condo. I've dealt with enough grass and exteriors to last a lifetime. The Villages doesn't offer THAT option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement