Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 01:31 PM

7,793 posts, read 3,803,815 times

Advertisements

"Executives at Burger King, McDonald’s Corp., Cheesecake Factory Inc. and Applebee’s have recently made the case to investors in presentations and earnings calls that they think customers increasingly consider eating out to be a better value than cooking at home."

Yes, price increases at restaurants have gone up, by grocery store food prices have gone up more.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/restaur...ar-11660561200

Restaurant Meals Become a Relative Bargain as Grocery Prices Soar
July saw the biggest inflationary gap between grocery stores and restaurants since the 1970s

"More diners from households earning $75,000 and above are eating at Dine Brands Global Inc.’s IHOP and Applebee’s locations, Chief Executive John Peyton said."

"Restaurant prices have also increased this year, but grocery prices are more affected by cost increases for raw ingredients than restaurants, where labor is the bigger factor, said Paul Ashworth, chief North America economist at research-firm Capital Economics."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 01:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Eeeww, IHOP and Applebee’s? No thanks, we are actually eating our more but it has nothing to do with food prices, we just enjoy it and are trying to help keep the small businesses open. That means none of those cookie-cutter chains. We seek out the small local dives, like the two we ate at this weekend. These have names like Andy's Fish House, Pilchuck Drive-in, Big Daddy's or The Poodle Dog.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:48 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times
""Executives at Burger King, McDonald’s Corp., Cheesecake Factory Inc. and Applebee’s have recently made the case to investors in presentations and earnings calls that they think customers increasingly consider eating out to be a better value than cooking at home."

If you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with B.S.!!!!

Old 08-15-2022, 02:11 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,977 times
They wouldn't be executives if they wrote a story about how they overcharge for junk food now would they ?. We can fix a steak and throw on some shrimp with the fixings for less than a meal deal at any of the mentioned.
Just corporate B.S.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:12 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,070,314 times
No, I don't agree that eating out is cheaper than eating at home. I can buy a piece of salmon for less than $10 whereas a salmon entree at a restaurant is going to cost 3X that amount.

I'm one of those atypical people who doesn't enjoy eating out. It's not solely a cost issue but cost does factor into it. It irritates me to spend money on food that I can better prepare at home. I don't mean meeting a friend for a quick lunch of sliced pizza or a salad or taking my elderly mother out for Sunday dinner. I mean going out to dinner by myself (I'm single).

Anyway, restaurants don't offer the types of food that I typically eat, prepared the way I like them. For instance, I eat very plain food. Things like plain lentils with a 1/2 chicken breast (plain, roasted) and some steamed greens--this is impossible to find in a regular restaurant. I don't eat things like pasta and seafood in a wine sauce, or hot turkey sandwiches on white bread with gravy and veggies in butter, or deep fried calamari, or big thick steaks.

I have dinner plans with a friend soon and it's her turn to pick the restaurant and she chose a pricey Italian restaurant. I've been reviewing the menu and see almost nothing on it that appeals to me except a very pricey piece of fish that I would never blow money on.

Eating out is stressful for me. I don't like spending money on high priced entrees. I also watch my health and my weight closely. And I always seem to suffer with bowel issues after I eat out.

I just don't see the point of going out to Applebee's or even to a local Mom and Pop diner to get food that I can prepare at home without any real effort. What's the big deal about cutting up a rotisserie chicken, making a simple salad of lettuce, tomato and cucumber, and throwing a bag of frozen peas or broccoli in the microwave? All of that food is not going to equal the cost of a restaurant meal.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
"Executives at Burger King, McDonald’s Corp., Cheesecake Factory Inc. and Applebee’s have recently made the case to investors in presentations and earnings calls that they think customers increasingly consider eating out to be a better value than cooking at home."

Can't say I've eaten at any of the above for 30+ yrs.
They don't seem to offer a 'value' in quality food offerings.

Eating out vs. Eating at home

I prefer home cooking and menu selections, tho when traveling I have a few places I frequent for small meals.

If intentionally dining out, It is usually at a Happy Hour, or 'local' Asian venue.

I prefer to dine in local small family cafes.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:33 PM

813 posts, read 402,553 times
They aren't talking about me. I only eat out when travelling. When in town, I prefer to cook. Definitely much cheaper. Now, when I was in Nashville for a few days recently, I only ate out for lunch including local favorites Martin's BBQ and Jack's BBQ. Both had good brisket. For the balance of my meals, the downtown hotel had daily complimentary breakfast and evening social called Kickback. Three alcoholic beverages and snacks (including salad and steam veggies) which made going out to dinner unnecessary.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:44 PM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
There is no way eating out is better value than eating at home. We eat out sometimes, & do enjoy it, but we also enjoy good food at home, for less, & seasoned exactly the way we want it.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:53 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
people like to be pampered every now and then,instead of eating in our own kitchen,plus we dont have to clean up.
But the food at IHOP,etc are not that great

Old 08-15-2022, 03:31 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Hmmm, If/when I eat out, it has rarely if ever been based on "value".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement