Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 09:01 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,391,434 times

Advertisements

"We tried the bra that thousands agree is the most comfortable on the planet"

When wandering around the internet, we all find headlines/sites/comments that are a complete waste of time. The above was one.

Being an older male and running across this advertising tease, I have questions. Who is this "we"? Was it a group test? Is this a royal wee? Who are these thousands and what is their criteria? Was the bra dirty after those thousands tested it? Was the author in their cups?

I remember when the internet was an astounding source of information and an encouragement to humanity to speak up and out. The phrase "This is why we can't have nice things" comes to mind these days.

What have you run across on the net recently (other than politics) that has made you shake your head and made you comment to yourself (if from the south) "bless their hearts" or (if from the north) "WTH??"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 09:32 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I'm a member of a "moving to the Tri-Cities" Facebook group.

We get all sorts of inquiries from people wanting to relocate from out of state. "Low taxes, cheap housing, pretty mountains, gorgeous lakes!"

The reality is that most of these people are moving from larger and more sophisticated areas. They want to maintain at least a portion of those amenities and sophistication, yet want to drop their housing costs and taxes.

Amenities and sophistication cost money. That means taxes. If you want a vibrant government with plenty of services, someone has to pay for it. No one gets something for nothing.

The reality is that if you are moving here from suburban Nashville/Raleigh/NoVA, etc., you are going to experience a tremendous decline in your typical suburban quality of life.

I lived in an affluent suburb outside of Indianapolis for years. I've yet to find a gym here in northeast TN that is even a fraction of what Lifetime Fitness in the Castleton area of Indianapolis was...six years ago. This area has has six years to catch up to a gym like that, and there's nothing even remotely equivalent. Those types of things are often forgotten by relocators until they get here, "miss something," then become vocal with their complaints.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:22 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Oh yeah. That was common with people wanting to move to Vermont. The myth that was created in the 1930s drew city folk to the state, only to discover what you describe.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:35 PM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
In north central PA as well. They want local housing prices with wages similar to where they came from.

For me I think it's mainly the obsession with getting a recording on media to the point of craziness.

'oh look-there's someone drowning/getting mugged/whatever. I think I'll take a picture'.

Did ya ever think to help? probably not.
'oh and there's a wild bear/buffalo/gorilla.' and out comes the camera on one side and claws or hooves on the other.

a friend of mine found out her son was killed in a mva because someone posted it on Facebook before the police could get to her house.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:47 PM

1,204 posts, read 934,816 times
Op - “was the author in their cups?” Good one!

Old 08-17-2022, 03:54 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
Missing information: What do you get if you follow the link? Is it a legit ad from a legit vendor offering an actual bra for sale? In that case I have no problem with yhe wording.

And, as an "older male", I withhold comment on an hour of surfing turning up a picture of a pretty bra once in a while.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:57 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
There are frequent ads on FB from companies with made up names...never a brick and mortar. They all have gorgeous pictures of dresses. In every case, it says they are “made in the USA” sometimes it names a specific state. They are really in China. They all have tons of reviews, but none of the reviews have actually received the product. The reviews say things like, “does this come in petite?” They also say that they offer free returns within 30 days. All of these things are lies.

If a designer dress is on sale for $35. do not fall for it. I ordered 2 dresses once and when I got them they were the ugliest things you ever saw, the company did not respond to my request to return them.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:00 AM

7,072 posts, read 4,818,181 times
“Doctors stunned! This removes wrinkles like crazy!”

“Do this immediately! It removes moles and skin tags!”

“New hearing discovery is leaving doctors speechless!”

The big tipoff is usually all the exclamation points.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:21 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
FB ads, the same product, same "we are closing our store", different names and websites. Most of FB advertising seems to be fraudulent, not that FB cares.

Also, there is a whole genre of FB craft groups where people post crap like "My mom made this quilt and she thinks it is not pretty enough, no one will like it" and then OF COURSE everyone chimes in to say how pretty it is. And not just the occasional post, ALL of them are like this. Obvious like-farming.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:23 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"We tried the bra that thousands agree is the most comfortable on the planet"

I'm not familiar with the tag line so googled, We tried the bra that thousands agree is the most comfortable on the planet it is a review by someone from CNN who, if you actually read the review, she had her staff also take the bra quiz, ordering bras for them to try to see if they fit them better then the bra they currently wear. They all found that it was the best bra they'd ever tried.

Since you're a male, you really have no use for a bra or a bra review unless you were buying one for your wife or SO. You would not understand what women go through trying to find a bra that fits, then you "get comfortable" with that bra until you find you need to order a few more, only to find they discontinued them, they now offer a redesigned version that does not fit like your old faithful.

It is why when I found one that I liked at Victoria's Secret who are expensive at $50 and up 10 years ago, they used to do a buy one get one half off and had other coupons and VS "money" that we could use that I ordered one in every color and pattern that I liked to make sure I had bras that would last me about 20 years or more if I took care of the investment. Good thing I did it too because about 2 years later, I decided to see what new patterns they offered, my favorite was gone, redesigned

My hub saw my drawer one day, saying, do you have enough bras? I said maybe and maybe not, depends how long they last me. That was 10 years ago. They are still like new while my daughter has bought 6 from Walmart in the last year or two, they are shot.

Quote:
We had several additional reviewers try the bras in sizes ranging from 32H to 34A½, and our verdict was unanimous in terms of support and comfort.

If you’re like me and find yourself in a bra rut, take ThirdLove’s Fit Finder quiz ASAP and treat yourself to one of the brand’s truly lovely wares. I’ve detailed my favorites below, all of which are worth the investment.

Quote:
When wandering around the internet, we all find headlines/sites/comments that are a complete waste of time. The above was one.

Of course we are all going to run into something online on a pretty regular basis where something is a waste of time, especially when coming to CD because CD is a time waster, especially clicking on threads who's content doesn't match the title. Something like headlines/sites/comments that are a complete waste of time would have reflected your thread better than "most inappropriate."

What was inappropriate about the bra review?

Quote:
Being an older male and running across this advertising tease, I have questions. Who is this "we"? Was it a group test? Is this a royal wee? Who are these thousands and what is their criteria? Was the bra dirty after those thousands tested it? Was the author in their cups?

I remember when the internet was an astounding source of information and an encouragement to humanity to speak up and out. The phrase "This is why we can't have nice things" comes to mind these days.

What have you run across on the net recently (other than politics) that has made you shake your head and made you comment to yourself (if from the south) "bless their hearts" or (if from the north) "WTH??"

I think I pretty much answered most of what I bolded. I don't understand what you mean by "was the author in their cups?"

I guess I could answer that too, yes, the author's boobs were in their cups, but you being an older male, the whole review does not even apply to you unless you need one. I suggest doing their quiz.

I actually read your first post 3 to 5 times before having time to actually google the tag line to see what you were talking about, so your thread from me got a WTH? Especially the first time I read it.

Anyway, back to my question, what was inappropriate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement