Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 06:53 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

I did tell her that if he got his check the other week like I did that they will want to claw it back and not to touch it. I assume being on medicaid that he only gets a small amount, the nursing home gets the bulk.

I sent her a text to remind her to go to the office to find out specifics on when she can switch what she gets now to the higher amount. She is 65 right now. She may have another year until FRA like my hub's is 66 and some months. My hub is a few months older than her. I don't know if she can leave it until her FRA or if she has to switch to it because he just passed away. According to the widows benefits page, it sounds like it has to be done now but since she's closer to FRA now then when she claimed early, it should be anywhere from 71% to 99% IIRC. I'd assume she would get about 80% at 65 and 4 months.

I forgot that since she claimed early she is limited to what they can do for her to give her more money. I wish she would have listened by not claiming at 62 but it is what it is, she needed the money when she lost her job.

Last edited by Roselvr; 11-25-2022 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 10:25 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I did tell her that if he got his check the other week like I did that they will want to claw it back and not to touch it. I assume being on medicaid that he only gets a small amount, the nursing home gets the bulk.

I sent her a text to remind her to go to the office to find out specifics on when she can switch what she gets now to the higher amount. She is 65 right now. She may have another year until FRA like my hub's is 66 and some months. My hub is a few months older than her. I don't know if she can leave it until her FRA or if she has to switch to it because he just passed away. According to the widows benefits page, it sounds like it has to be done now but since she's closer to FRA now then when she claimed early, it should be anywhere from 71% to 99% IIRC. I'd assume she would get about 80% at 65 and 4 months.

I forgot that since she claimed early she is limited to what they can do for her to give her more money. I wish she would have listened by not claiming at 62 but it is what it is, she needed the money when she lost her job.
I just went thru this in July. SS pays one month behind. So the check you get this month is for last month.
But. If you pass away before your check date, they keep the money, and your survivor must file form 1724 to get that money back. For us that was the 15th. He passed on the 4th so I had to request a form 1724 and mail it in. Took about a month to get reimbursed. When I received the reimbursement, it included some interest and that $255 we get for funeral expenses.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1724.pdf

Old 11-25-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I just went thru this in July. SS pays one month behind. So the check you get this month is for last month.
But. If you pass away before your check date, they keep the money, and your survivor must file form 1724 to get that money back. For us that was the 15th. He passed on the 4th so I had to request a form 1724 and mail it in. Took about a month to get reimbursed. When I received the reimbursement, it included some interest and that $255 we get for funeral expenses.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1724.pdf

Thanks. I'm just waking up from a late nap. I'll see if I can help her figure it out after I wake up.

It's probably only a few dollars that he keeps, I'm sure if the nursing home is entitled to money they will be contacting her to take care of getting that last check.

I reminded her about the $225.

I know that one of the agencies that he qualified under (welfare paid his nursing home) paid for him to be cremated already. It was all done very fast. She told me about 3 days after he passed, she already had his ashes back.

Old 11-26-2022, 06:50 AM

He gets a check the fourth Wednesday of the month. He died the third Wednesday of the month.

She said that they clawed back money he had in his bank account that was used for emergencies, there was about two thousand in it. She said they used it to cremate him. I believe it is medicaid getting repaid for it.

She had a phone call with them, she has to go to an appointment with her marriage license so that they can do the survivors benefit which is about 80%.

Old 11-26-2022, 07:39 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
IMPORTANT QUESTION HERE....Is the husband a veteran? When did he serve? If he is a qualified vet he may be eligible to receive VA A&A. Living in a nursing home, he would have been eligible all this time for approximately $1000/month in Aid and Attendance benefits. If he is a vet from the eligible years, she should go to her local Veteran Service Officer's office and ask for their help in applying ASAP. The fact that he's ALREADY in a NH will make it fly through the system much quicker. It's MUCH easier to apply through the VSO. The VSO can help fill out the forms and then fax the whole application and supporting docs to the appropriate person to fast-track the application. It took us only 2 months to get my MIL's A&A going with the VSOs help. The benefit will end with his death.

If he is already on medicaid, there's not much point in getting the VA A&A, as it will go straight to the NH, but it might reduce the total amount of the claw back later. If he's private pay, that's $1000 less coming out of their income and savings each month.

Old 11-26-2022, 03:55 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
IMPORTANT QUESTION HERE....Is the husband a veteran? When did he serve? If he is a qualified vet he may be eligible to receive VA A&A. Living in a nursing home, he would have been eligible all this time for approximately $1000/month in Aid and Attendance benefits. If he is a vet from the eligible years, she should go to her local Veteran Service Officer's office and ask for their help in applying ASAP. The fact that he's ALREADY in a NH will make it fly through the system much quicker. It's MUCH easier to apply through the VSO. The VSO can help fill out the forms and then fax the whole application and supporting docs to the appropriate person to fast-track the application. It took us only 2 months to get my MIL's A&A going with the VSOs help. The benefit will end with his death.

If he is already on medicaid, there's not much point in getting the VA A&A, as it will go straight to the NH, but it might reduce the total amount of the claw back later. If he's private pay, that's $1000 less coming out of their income and savings each month.

SEE POST #46, THE MAN IS DEAD. The spouse is eligible for spousal survival benefits/SS.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

No he never served because he was legally deaf. He passed away two weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
SEE POST #46, THE MAN IS DEAD. The spouse is eligible for spousal survival benefits/SS.

I believe she goes this week to find out what she will end up with. Too bad her husband didn't last another year to get her closer to FRA but I'm thankful she's not that far from it considering she early filed for SS at age 62. It's a miracle he lived through COVID without catching it when it was in his nursing home. The man seriously had 9 lives. He should have passed away about 5 times, she was told that his end was near, but some how he kept recovering.

Apparently she forgot that she can only work so much before SS sends her a bill. I know I told her when she first early retired that she has to watch her hours. I also let her know that once she does reach FRA that she can work as much as she wants or needs.

Hopefully what her new amount is will help her. She also said that she will have the pension even though it isn't as much as it should have been due to losing her job before she was fully vested.

I have to figure out if SS took his payment back correctly or if legally it was his but they probably would still take it since they took his savings account to pay for the cremation. I guess she should be thankful it didn't fall on her to have to find money to do it.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:04 AM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
No he never served because he was legally deaf. He passed away two weeks ago.

I believe she goes this week to find out what she will end up with. Too bad her husband didn't last another year to get her closer to FRA but I'm thankful she's not that far from it considering she early filed for SS at age 62. It's a miracle he lived through COVID without catching it when it was in his nursing home. The man seriously had 9 lives. He should have passed away about 5 times, she was told that his end was near, but some how he kept recovering.

Apparently she forgot that she can only work so much before SS sends her a bill. I know I told her when she first early retired that she has to watch her hours. I also let her know that once she does reach FRA that she can work as much as she wants or needs.

Hopefully what her new amount is will help her. She also said that she will have the pension even though it isn't as much as it should have been due to losing her job before she was fully vested.

I have to figure out if SS took his payment back correctly or if legally it was his but they probably would still take it since they took his savings account to pay for the cremation. I guess she should be thankful it didn't fall on her to have to find money to do it.

He retired a long time ago and was disabled. I hope it does put her in a better situation financially. With survivors benefits the percentage she gets is much higher. If she is 65 it is 95.3%, if 64 it is 90.4%. Not sure what her FRA age is; but, if she's close she's fine.

When I look at my benefits now inching into my 60's if I because disabled now my SSDI would be close to my FRA amount... But, I'm not sure that was the case if he was disabled at 50. Hopefully it's enough for her to live off.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
He retired a long time ago and was disabled. I hope it does put her in a better situation financially. With survivors benefits the percentage she gets is much higher. If she is 65 it is 95.3%, if 64 it is 90.4%. Not sure what her FRA age is; but, if she's close she's fine.

When I look at my benefits now inching into my 60's if I because disabled now my SSDI would be close to my FRA amount... But, I'm not sure that was the case if he was disabled at 50. Hopefully it's enough for her to live off.

Her husband was disabled about 10 years ago, he was 72 when he died. She cared for him at home for the first few years. I don't recall him getting SSDI in the beginning. I remember her applying for everything when he had to get admitted to a nursing home.

She was 65 about 4 months ago. Her FRA should be about age 66 and a few months. My hub is a few months older then her, so her FRA should be similar to his.

I believe SS told her over the phone it would be about 80% which did not sound right to me since she is pretty close to FRA. Hopefully when she goes there expecting 80% that she does get 90 something percent, which sounds more correct to me.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:22 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Quote:
Her husband was disabled about 10 years ago, he was 72 when he died. She cared for him at home for the first few years. I don't recall him getting SSDI in the beginning. I remember her applying for everything when he had to get admitted to a nursing home.

She was 65 about 4 months ago. Her FRA should be about age 66 and a few months. My hub is a few months older then her, so her FRA should be similar to his.

I believe SS told her over the phone it would be about 80% which did not sound right to me since she is pretty close to FRA. Hopefully when she goes there expecting 80% that she does get 90 something percent, which sounds more correct to me.
Correct me if Im wrong. It seems like the facility was taking her husbands SSDI etc to pay for his care. So was she living on her SS alone. If so, can she hold out till her FRA to take widows benefits. Its only a year.

She needs to compare the difference in dollars between 80% and full widows benefits. Just a round figure example. Her benefit could be more or less. 80 % of $1000 is $800. She could live to 85+. That means she will be short $200 a month for the rest of her life. Some of us women do tend to be around for a while.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement