Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 12:40 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm 80 and thinking about things I didn't do but now wish I had. Or have you met all your goals, maybe even surpassing them?

A lot of my life has been spent alone. By choice. Too afraid of what could be right around the corner that could hurt me. I built up a strong defense. Not thinking about the good I missed out on. Or possibility of that. This thinking didn't really do me any favors. It made me feel angry, non-trusting, not much confidence in myself. So now looking back on my life, I realize how lonely and unhappy I am.

Don't want to discuss the detail of how I got here, but it sure did a job on my head. Yes, have done a lot of counseling and did learn a lot from it. But lack of finances have held me back from doing things I might have enjoyed. My ex got the better deal when we divorced, he had hidden money which should not have been a surprise to me. I think in some way it was easier for me to not think about it.

Any similar stories out there? If so, how have you changed? Did you learn how to trust again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 01:00 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,967 times
I saved and saved and then I saved some more. I should have been more tax savvy as now I am getting killed on taxes, Irma, etc.

Old 09-05-2022, 01:40 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Tons of them. Of course, it us looking at the choices I made with the knowledge and perspective I have now, not what I had then.

I wish I had gone to college, something that didn't ever occur to me to do. It was one of those things that other people did.

I wish I hadn't thought I was of no value unless I got married. That thinking led me to marry someone I should not have.

I regret basing so many decisions on what other people thought rather than being true to myself, but I did not know that was an option until later in life.

I regret basing decisions on belief in a god who turned out who to either not exist or just not like me very much.

In some ways, though, those regrets led me down other paths. I would likely not ever have had another chance to marry, but I did get my daughter out of the bad marriage. I did not go to college, but I was forced to support myself and my child and so worked my way up into a management position for which a degree was normally required and retired with nice pension.

I learned to stand up for myself, take risks, and open up my world to learn about people from backgrounds different from mine as a result of my own religious background turning out to be painful and damaging.

I learned what sai weng shi ma means.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-05-2022 at 01:59 PM..

Old 09-05-2022, 03:16 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
MIGHTYQUEEN81: What does it mean?

Will DM you soon re a part of your post.

Old 09-05-2022, 03:28 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I wish I had had more patience with my mother, and with dad, when they got really sick. I think I was just at the end of my rope and I didn't deal very well with everything. It was a difficult period. I'd wish to be more patient with her, and dad too.

Old 09-05-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
MIGHTYQUEEN81: What does it mean?

Will DM you soon re a part of your post.
Sai weng shi ma, you mean? I learned it from my daughter, who speaks and taught Mandarin and lived in China.

https://www.thoughtco.com/chinese-pr...rns%20to%20bad.

Quote:
The proverb can be read to have multiple implications when it comes to the concept of luck and fortune. The end of the story seems to suggest that every misfortune comes with a silver lining, or as we might put it in English—a blessing in disguise. But within the story is also the sense that with what at first appears to be good luck can come misfortune. Given its dual meaning, this proverb is commonly said when bad luck turns to good or when good luck turns to bad.

Old 09-05-2022, 04:00 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,896 times
Yes. I wish that I hadn't let the "one that got away", get away.

Old 09-05-2022, 04:11 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
A few minor ones, sure. Who doesn't? As a flawed human who is unable to go back and re-live or change the past, harboring regrets about it isn't very beneficial.

Old 09-05-2022, 04:15 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Thinking of the past, always brings, sadness, joy and regrets. Why torture ourselves?

Because few ever have led a life without such.

Old 09-05-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A few minor ones, sure. Who doesn't? As a flawed human who is unable to go back and re-live or change the past, harboring regrets about it isn't very beneficial.
I agree, and I don't dwell on those regrets, but she asked, and I answered.

As I said, most of us made the choices we made then with what we knew then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement