Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 06:11 PM

2,713 posts, read 1,218,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Blister packs can be even worst to open. My hub gets an OTC immodium in them, I have to cut them open for him to put in another bottle. Easier for pharmacy to give OP adult caps. They should go back tomorrow with all of their bottles to prove their point. Apparently the pharmacy tech didn't think OP would have an issue. I would have stayed there and gotten loud saying, excuse me, I asked for an adult lid because I can't open it, why did you flip the top back to child resistant? What do you need from me to give me the lid I'm asking for? I need to take this medication and can't. I'm a new customer, you're not making my purchase pleasant. My old pharmacy took care of it for me. I'd threaten to return the medication to them if they did not give me the right lid.

*SNIP*

I can't stand the new ones the Immodium are in now. It use to be easier when the corner folded over and I could just pull it away and get the darn pill. Now I have to use a scissor because that little tiny slit does nothing to rip it open. Sometimes I use a toothpick when I can't where I put the scissors. I just poke the back along the sides of where the pill would be and slide the pointy toothpick along side of it. It sure does work. I'm going save up the empty pill bottles and use the refrigerator/freezer removable tape to label with the exp date. Thats what I do now with all the other over county meds that are not hard to crack open.

to the OP maybe a nice small pharmacy would help if you are going to a chain one. I don't care for those kind when I have an emergency. Now I use a mail order pharmacy and a nice small one that isn't some large chain and unpersonal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 06:35 PM

61,940 posts, read 87,554,606 times
There are many things that are hard to open even for fit people. Water caps comes to mind, jars etc. but the most annoying are those plastic trays with cold cuts inside, that are heat&seal mended, on the top of zip lock closure and a part that you supposed to tear up to open. Triple security!!!!!
The ziplock closure is often a pain to open, then the heat mended area one should get apart!!!
You need some muscle power to do so, and often there is not enough space to hold with your fingers.
Or clamshell packages.
I HATE those!!!
The industrie don't think about the old and disabled at all...

Which food packaging causes wrap rage?
Here!!!
https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/p...food-packaging

Old 10-13-2022, 06:38 PM

4,618 posts, read 2,757,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
I have trouble with blister packs. It says push through foil. Not working for me. So I have to cut them open just like you said.

I might have to try that medicine bottle opener.

I'm happy that children's lives are being saved. I've never had a problem getting easy open lids before I went to this new pharmacy.
I'd like to see the data. Given that most people, faced with child proof packaging, give it to a child to open it, I suspect that an honest analysis would conclude that exactly zero childs' lives have been saved by this enormous inconvenience.

Old 10-13-2022, 06:40 PM

4,618 posts, read 2,757,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There are many things that are hard to open even for fit people. Water caps comes to mind, jars etc. but the most annoying are those plastic trays with cold cuts inside, that are heat&seal mended, on the top of zip lock closure and a part that you supposed to tear up to open. Triple security!!!!!
The ziplock closure is often a pain to open, then the heat mended area one should get apart!!!
You need some muscle power to do so, and often there is not enough space to hold with your fingers.
Or clamshell packages.
I HATE those!!!
The industrie don't think about the old and disabled at all...

I'm not disabled, I'm only 60, and it's still a bunch of lawyer driven foolishness.

Old 10-13-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I'd like to see the data. Given that most people, faced with child proof packaging, give it to a child to open it, I suspect that an honest analysis would conclude that exactly zero childs' lives have been saved by this enormous inconvenience.
Maybe only those 2 years old and younger...

Old 10-13-2022, 06:45 PM

Oh, and i forgot to mention those bottle seals under the childproof lid!!!!!
Those are called Induction Sealing and hard to remove too!

Those suckers:

Spoiler

https://www.ipharmachine.com/advanta...m-foil-sealing

Last edited by elnina; 10-13-2022 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-13-2022, 06:47 PM

Huh??? Anyone tried this???

Old 10-13-2022, 07:03 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,986,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have arthritis in both thumbs, and blister packs are torture for me. Much worse than opening child-proof bottles. My generic Chantix comes in blister packs and I am cursing the whole time trying to push through all the layers of cardboard.

I would just change pharmacies, frankly. Rite Aid and CVS provide non-childproof caps with no issue.
Keep a little scissor handy in the kitchen, right next to your magnifying glass. Scissors are great for opening lots of things, including blister packs and the seal on ketchup bottles.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:47 PM

23,901 posts, read 33,682,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Huh??? Anyone tried this???

Wow, a thumb tack in the push down lid of OTC meds is brilliant!

You also shared the heat seal which is another that drives me nuts. Thankfully any sharp object will pierce it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Keep a little scissor handy in the kitchen, right next to your magnifying glass. Scissors are great for opening lots of things, including blister packs and the seal on ketchup bottles.

Scissors are one thing I keep all over the house, almost in every room, no kidding. That and a flash light.

I'm always using scissors.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:21 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 5 days ago)

16,098 posts, read 21,227,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
There was no reason to card me. They had my file open already when I went to pick up my prescription and my drivers license is on file in their computer. I bought one bottle of over the counter cough medicine so why do they need my drivers license. I think that is nuts.
Where I work the info stored in the RX system is not available at the register for OTC purchases, ie your ID has to be verified and entered each time you purchase a non RX regulated item at any register, just like showing ID each and every time you buy cigarettes or alcohol.
All your private med info is processed before you get to a register, so unless you're actually talking to someone about a problem with your script it's extremely unlikely your file is still open at the time you are there to pick it up.
The register computers don't actually access the RX computers. They are two separate information systems, although it is possible to switch between the two systems at the RX registers, which probably makes it appear they are the same to customers. But you can't have them both open, or use both, at the register at the same time. So no, they can't look up your birth date while trying to ring you up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement