Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2022, 06:47 AM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I'm sure that some of the outcomes of Covid lock downs were that people learned to prepare their own food, and also proved to many that food prepared at home is a lot healthier and better tasting than one can find at even the most expensive restaurants. More importantly, you also know whose hands have "been intimate" with the food you are about to eat!
I really don't think so. Seems people are eating out or ordering in at least as much, as and I would say even more than, before. Apparently they find the money somewhere!

Old 12-04-2022, 07:59 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,505,512 times
Many younger consumers do not care to cook,or dunno how to cook or too busy to cook,but with all these layoffs ,they may have to learn to cook.
Somehow a restaurant dish delivered in styrofoam box with plastic fork and knife and eating in your own kitchen is not the same,part of what we paid for is restaurant setting,clean table cloth,nice decor,utensils and service,it is just not the same.
Supermarkets these days also have deli section and you can eat there ,no tipping

Old 12-04-2022, 08:23 AM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times
I would guess that MOST young people have no idea how to feed themselves at home. They were raised eating out or getting take-out and know no other way. I don't think "ambience" matters to them; it's the only way they know to survive.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:29 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,505,512 times
Some homemakers are just tired of cooking,I know my mother and my sister lost interest in preparing meals even tho their hubbies yearn for home cooking.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:55 AM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times
My wife cooks but I like to give her a break one or two days a week

Old 12-04-2022, 09:04 AM

17,351 posts, read 11,312,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
My wife cooks but I like to give her a break one or two days a week
I cook but I like to give myself a break one or two nights a week . Besides, it's great to try different foods at different places, things I would never think of cooking at home for myself. It's one of the minor pleasures in life for me and still worth the cost.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:13 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
I like them and Morton’s …we were at the original Morton’s in Chicago for our anniversary a few years ago .

Excellent steaks and they gave us free dessert for our anniversary….

Peter Lugers is excellent …no credit cards though accepted , other then if you have their own or you use a debit card , which I never will use , so bring lots of cash
I don't use debit cards, either, except at the atm at my bank if I need cash. Too many horror stories.

I know they are a cash-only business.

I am thinking of taking a friend to PL for her 60th next year. She loves her rare red meat!

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-04-2022 at 09:24 AM..

Old 12-04-2022, 09:38 AM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't use debit cards, either, except at the atm at my bank if I need cash. Too many horror stories.

I know they are a cash-only business.

I am thinking of taking a friend to PL for her 60th next year. She loves her rare red meat!
All the steaks go in to an 800 degree oven ..they are put on individual plates in the oven .

All the steaks are done in the oven to the same temperature..then how you want it finishes cooking sitting on that 800 degree plate.

The aged steaks ,cooked at such high heat sears the meat in ways we wish we could at home …but these ovens are Very special.

The aging room is something to see.

There are Loads of you tube videos

Old 12-04-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
We tended to ramp up our use of door dash during covid .

With hundreds of really good places to choose from it was a lot of fun ordering in on a regular basis .

In fact after my wife and I were hospitalized from covid , when we were released we would have needed full time help to shop and cook for a while because we were both still down for the count and on a home care program .

We had all meals and snacks delivered from door dash and really enjoyed the diversity in food plus needed no help.

We still use it once or twice a week
I prep some meals but caregiving does not allow for spending too much time in the kitchen, plus the S.O. is very limited as to what he can swallow, so sometimes a separate meal has to be made for him anyway whether I cook or we order. We use a service here called Skip the Dishes, Skip for short, similar to Doordash. Uber Eats is in Canada, though, same as the US.

This area is in the TO suburbs, similar to NJ, so lots of choices, although not so much for Italian food, sadly. They have this hokey chain called East Side Mario's with cringey TV commercials in which all the actors speak in exaggerated mob-movie accents, but you won't find family-owned Italian places like we are used to in the NYC metro.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
All the steaks go in to an 800 degree oven ..they are put on individual plates in the oven .

All the steaks are done in the oven to the same temperature..then how you want it finishes cooking sitting on that 800 degree plate.

The aged steaks ,cooked at such high heat sears the meat in ways we wish we could at home …but these ovens are Very special.

The aging room is something to see.

There are Loads of you tube videos
Yep, I learned long ago that our home ovens don't reach the temps they have in steakhouses. As a matter of fact, on the rare occasion I cook a steak when at home, I do it on my gas stove in a cast-iron pan heated in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement