Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 11:15 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Wow, I don't think I've seen even a senior sized meal less than $5.00, more like $7.99 or a buck or two more at the least. We go out sometimes, but usually end up bringing the leftovers home. Those can go for the next meal or two and stretch the costs that way.

I get sticker shock over the cost of the beverages. $3.00 or more for coffee, $4.00 for a soft drink or iced tea.
Yes, that bugs me, too, more than food prices. I generally drink water anyway, but if I am with someone who gets a soda, it is shocking to me what they charge for it.

Old 11-20-2022, 11:48 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Wow, I don't think I've seen even a senior sized meal less than $5.00, more like $7.99 or a buck or two more at the least. We go out sometimes, but usually end up bringing the leftovers home. Those can go for the next meal or two and stretch the costs that way.

I get sticker shock over the cost of the beverages. $3.00 or more for coffee, $4.00 for a soft drink or iced tea.
That is because they offer unlimited refills. If we get tea at the little local cafe, we get it in a to-go cup. Finish it and have it re-filled when we leave.

Old 11-20-2022, 12:39 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Well, I only eat out once a month, with my sister. Sure, costs me $80 with tip, but it's just once. So I don't get uptight price wise.

At the moment, I'm still on snap so the offset for food helps, but that ends February.

Old 11-20-2022, 01:38 PM

7,105 posts, read 4,536,107 times
I hate takeout because it’s never hot by the time you get it home. Same with delivery. I used to eat out twice a week and now it’s twice a month because of the prices. Once a month I eat chic fila and I can get a sandwich and fry for 8. I always drink water.

Old 11-20-2022, 01:40 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
A few years ago we went to a world famous restaurant on the Rockefeller preserve .

It is owned by world famous chef Dan Barner .

It took us one year to get a reservation and we were forced to take it on a wed night at 5 pm , kind of an off day and hour ..

Back then dinner at Blue hill at stone barns was 600 a couple or 800 with wine paring .

Today it is 700 a couple or 1000 with wine paring ….

It is a working farm and everything you get is picked or slain right before it’s cooked .

There are 25 tables and 25 master chefs . They all operate under chef Dan barber .

Each is responsible for a few courses .

Dinner takes 4 hours and consists of 20-25 little plates of incredible food .

It was worth the money for the experience but most I saw there were there for a special occasion like we were .

We got to sit at a chefs table in the kitchen for a bit and watch what went on ..I took loads of photos .

Dan also has a place in Manhattan but the real place to see is the farm on the preserve upstate ny

https://www.exploretock.com/bluehillatstonebarns

Old 11-20-2022, 01:52 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
A few years ago we went to a world famous restaurant on the Rockefeller preserve .

It is owned by world famous chef Dan Barner .

It took us one year to get a reservation and we were forced to take it on a wed night at 5 pm , kind of an off day and hour ..

Back then dinner at Blue hill at stone barns was 600 a couple or 800 with wine paring .

Today it is 700 a couple or 1000 with wine paring ….

It is a working farm and everything you get is picked or slain right before it’s cooked .

There are 25 tables and 25 master chefs . They all operate under chef Dan barber .

Each is responsible for a few courses .

Dinner takes 4 hours and consists of 20-25 little plates of incredible food .

It was worth the money for the experience but most I saw there were there for a special occasion like we were .

We got to sit at a chefs table in the kitchen for a bit and watch what went on ..I took loads of photos .

Dan also has a place in Manhattan but the real place to see is the farm on the preserve upstate ny

https://www.exploretock.com/bluehillatstonebarns
Here are a few shots from the most incredible dinning experience we ever had .

And yes , that is the saintly woman that puts up with me daily as well as the enabler that created a monster by pushing me in to drumming again .

Old 11-20-2022, 02:02 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:

There are some good deals here in town to be had as far as eating out if you stay away from fast food chain places like McDonald's and know where to go. It's one of the perks of being in a low cost of living place.
My favorite eatery is now a stationary food truck which is within walking distance from my house. The food is always fresh and the cook is a real chef and her husband helps out. The chef writes a weekly article for the newspaper about different foods and easy recipes for people to try at home. The first time I ate there I had no idea what the food was like. I ordered a pulled pork bowl which had tomatoes, rice, pork, naan bread, and fried wantons stuffed with something really tasty. OMG, it was to die for, so gooood! And to make it even better, they told me they deliver locally for free.

That meal was $15 but it was so huge, it fed me for 3 days and I'm a really good eater. So the way I see it, it cost me about $5.00 per meal for freshly made delicious food. Ironically, McDonald's is still probably the busiest place to eat in town, LOL.

Old 11-20-2022, 02:06 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
What we are finding here is that steak has gone over $40 in almost all places and find that hard to accept unless I know it is really good. We have just been on a road trip which included Melbourne and Canberra. Ate at clubs, pubs, traditional Italian restaurants, Malaysian, Chinese and coffee shops. We found a couple of places with seniors specials, which are not common in Sydney and indulged in the steak. Did not pay over $100 for the two of us anywhere, but we only have a glass of wine and share a starter.

What is killing the industry here, and I believe in other countries, are the staff shortages. In our local are the unemployment rate is now below 1%. We went into a local coffee and gelato place yesterday and I swear they had a kid serving who could not have been more than twelve. Illegal, but almost cannot blame them as it was the warmest Sunday we have had all year and they are opposite the beach, so extremely busy. Single cone of gelato is now $6.

Old 11-20-2022, 02:14 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
We rarely eat out and was shocked at the cost recently......$48 for breakfast for two.......Chic-fil-a Fast Food was $30 for two......3 slices of Pizza and a can of Pepsi $15. Not scaring us off, it's now considered more of a "Treat".
We don't eat near as much as we used to and wife and I nearly ALWAYS split a meal and still take home a doggie bag for lunch tomorrow. The only time we don't split is when we go to Chic-Fil_A because what she likes I don't.

Our big meal anymore is in the middle of the day and, unless eating out with family or friends, with supper usually consisting of cheese and crackers along with an apple.

Old 11-20-2022, 03:05 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Scaring me off? No. I simply eat out less often. Personally, never felt a fancy meal was necessary to celebrate a holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement