Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 06:30 PM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I went and checked Amazon and their net margin growth is just over 7%

They aren't squeezing anyone else you'd see an outrageous number like 30%
My point with Amazon wasn’t about prices, just the layoffs. I never said or implied Amazon was inflating prices. I’m sorry if my post wasn’t clear about that.

The other linked articles/sources were more about what I was talking about with the profiteering via raising prices higher than needed. One of the sources is a house oversight committee report, the second is an economic policy institute report, and the third is from Market Watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 03:40 PM

43,119 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My point with Amazon wasn’t about prices, just the layoffs. I never said or implied Amazon was inflating prices. I’m sorry if my post wasn’t clear about that.

The other linked articles/sources were more about what I was talking about with the profiteering via raising prices higher than needed. One of the sources is a house oversight committee report, the second is an economic policy institute report, and the third is from Market Watch.
I read the three links. None provided any specific company so you can't verify any of that.
And they lumped them together to give a huge number...*shock and awe factor...
Also they only speak of one single "profit margin" for everyone but each industry segment has their average profit margin number so you can't just lump them all together.

And further...they went from 2019 right to the present.
They skipped 2020 completely when profit margins sunk into negative territory.

Exxon Mobil for example had a -43% profit margin 4Q20, 10% 4Q21.
And for this year's numbers for Exxon..their profit margin is 18% gross, 12% net for 3Q22
Most of this is due to them increasing production to make up for closed refineries.
They produced 50,000 extra barrels per day for the US.

https://ycharts.com/companies/XOM/profit_margin

Last edited by TMSRetired; 11-24-2022 at 03:50 PM..

Old 11-24-2022, 05:41 PM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
I read the three links. None provided any specific company so you can't verify any of that.
And they lumped them together to give a huge number...*shock and awe factor...
Also they only speak of one single "profit margin" for everyone but each industry segment has their average profit margin number so you can't just lump them all together.

And further...they went from 2019 right to the present.
They skipped 2020 completely when profit margins sunk into negative territory.

Exxon Mobil for example had a -43% profit margin 4Q20, 10% 4Q21.
And for this year's numbers for Exxon..their profit margin is 18% gross, 12% net for 3Q22
Most of this is due to them increasing production to make up for closed refineries.
They produced 50,000 extra barrels per day for the US.

https://ycharts.com/companies/XOM/profit_margin
I give up. You’re never going to find any of my sources credible and your mind is not open.

Old 11-24-2022, 06:03 PM

43,119 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
I give up. You’re never going to find any of my sources credible and your mind is not open.
Just name one company, just one. I could not find one company named in any of those links.
If anyone has huge profits it's Exxon Mobil. Do you think 18% profit is too much ?

I was actually trying to verify if those articles were true.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:08 AM

7,824 posts, read 3,823,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When I was a social work student one of my summer internships was to drive around cold bag lunches from one location to another. We never knew how many kids would show up at each place. These kids all walked to get there often with younger siblings. They ate every drop of their food. On Friday they got a piece of cold fried chicken instead of a sandwich and that was very popular.

I started bringing my kids outgrown clothes for kids to wear and later would see them in the clothes. Only one parent ever came with the kids and she wasn’t allowed to eat. The money came from the feds and in that blue collar community many people were against the program. The kids came alone because their parents were working minimum wage jobs. What you wrote is a myth and a joke.
Your personal experience is a mere anecdote, and should not be confused with actual data.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:14 AM

7,824 posts, read 3,823,458 times
Quote:
My point with Amazon wasn’t about prices, just the layoffs.
Layoffs are a very good thing. That's how you cut costs so they are in alignment with a new economic reality. The objective is to keep the business viable for the long term. By laying of some employees today, the company can avoid severe long term economic damage up to and including bankruptcy in the future. Note that layoffs are themselves very expensive; a company does not engage in large scale layoffs for fun.

Quote:
The other linked articles/sources were more about what I was talking about with the profiteering via raising prices higher than needed.
There is no such thing as "profiteering." It does not exist, except in the minds of certain extreme ideologues.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:21 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default Do your duty. Never complain. Your white privilege.

Quote:
We are going to have to tough it out.

The Fed balance sheet sits at near $9 trillion ..... before the pandemic it was at $4 trillion..still recovering from the 2009 recession which was at $1 trillion before the 2009 recession.
"Tuf" it out. Useless exhortation. Feels like what cattle say to one another as they are led to slaughter.

EVERYBODY knows what the deficit is.

What's the plan, man!?

Old 11-25-2022, 09:53 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
"Tuf" it out. Useless exhortation. Feels like what cattle say to one another as they are led to slaughter.

EVERYBODY knows what the deficit is.

What's the plan, man!?
I think the plan is for the Fed to continue raising rates to some kind of maximum in 2023, and then keep them high for a long time. I don't think rates near 0% will happen ever again. There has to be an adequate cost to borrowing, or otherwise banking would make no sense. The economy will adjust to that reality, which has in fact been the only reality forever, despite the absurd thought in recent years that 0% rates were a good thing, or even possible to sustain for any length of time.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:35 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post

WF = Whole Foods? Wow. You shop at Whole Foods???? It's nicknamed "Whole Paycheck" for a reason. You must be megarich.
I did get a chuckle out of someone pointing out that Whole Foods is expensive. Or using that as an example of price increases. Bill Gates' maid/chef or whoever buys his food has likely noticed prices have gone up also.

That said, I do wonder how the "poor" and lower middle class, which might already be pinched in the budget, will continue to manage. I hope the people who have been laid off in the past few weeks had emergency savings.

I know the poor might be on safety net programs. But prices are prices. And increases mean their food stamps or SSDI won't go as far, just like the rest of our paychecks won't.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:16 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
The "starving students" myth in the USA is a shibboleth of a certain political and ideological caste in this country. It is not grounded in actual, you know, data...
Quote:
I always find it fascinating that the kids who "go hungry" frequently sport the latest Nike Air Jordans and Air Pods, and are driven to school in relatively new Lexus SUVs.

Speaking of shibboleths of a certain political and ideological caste in this country....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement