Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 09:41 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,381,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Again, I'm not advocating "drinking heavily" (or smoking dope heavily either, for that matter). I'm just saying, in moderation, for most people, a drink is not a bad thing...
For most people, it isn't, but especially if you have a family history of alcoholism, or an addictive personality, as I do, on both, be very, very careful.

I still drink at the house. No beer out is worth losing my car or independence over. Even if you do lose a license, you're probably fine as long as you're conscientious about travel, and abide traffic laws carefully. Lay low for the term of suspension and you'll probably avoid any scrutiny.

I wouldn't be telling anyone to "go out and have a drink." A lot of folks will end up with drinking problems that they have no idea they'd end up with. I wouldn't wish a drinking problem on anyone. It's hard to reign in, even for someone like myself who is of strong mind and very rational.

I have no taste for liquor at all. I'll drink mixed drinks socially, but I haven't bought a bottle of spirits for home consumption in probably a decade, but beer is my thing, and in large amounts.

I'm not looking for complete sobriety. I don't want it, and I don't think it's achievable for me. All I want to do in 2023 is keep the beer drinking mostly at home. If my girlfriend just drops me off in Asheville, sure, I'm going all out at the bars, but, worst case, PI is basically a fine - it's far from a DUI.

That's a resolution for me - no more driving while completely wasted. It's achievable, and it's something a lot of people struggle with, even seniors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 08:29 AM

5,252 posts, read 3,617,974 times
I just got out my big eraser and replaced "2022" with "2023" on last year's Resolution List!

Old 12-28-2022, 09:37 AM

5,047 posts, read 7,434,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
For most people, it isn't, but especially if you have a family history of alcoholism, or an addictive personality, as I do, on both, be very, very careful.

I still drink at the house. No beer out is worth losing my car or independence over. Even if you do lose a license, you're probably fine as long as you're conscientious about travel, and abide traffic laws carefully. Lay low for the term of suspension and you'll probably avoid any scrutiny.

I wouldn't be telling anyone to "go out and have a drink." A lot of folks will end up with drinking problems that they have no idea they'd end up with. I wouldn't wish a drinking problem on anyone. It's hard to reign in, even for someone like myself who is of strong mind and very rational.

I have no taste for liquor at all. I'll drink mixed drinks socially, but I haven't bought a bottle of spirits for home consumption in probably a decade, but beer is my thing, and in large amounts.

I'm not looking for complete sobriety. I don't want it, and I don't think it's achievable for me. All I want to do in 2023 is keep the beer drinking mostly at home. If my girlfriend just drops me off in Asheville, sure, I'm going all out at the bars, but, worst case, PI is basically a fine - it's far from a DUI.

That's a resolution for me - no more driving while completely wasted. It's achievable, and it's something a lot of people struggle with, even seniors.
You're an alcoholic. Please start a recovery program or you may not make it to retirement. I lost both of my siblings to booze, they were 49 and 55 when they died. Have you ever tried AA? Complete sobriety should be your goal. You're a danger to yourself and others.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:35 PM

7,460 posts, read 4,707,225 times
Play guitar.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:06 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,581,322 times
Serious conversation, read the book “This Naked Mind†by Annie Grace. It’s an interesting read about alcohol and different than the traditional approach. She was an high power executive and an alcoholic and advocates that people try for themselves both cutting back or complete sobriety. She also offers counseling, etc. Some people have achieved spontaneous sobriety just from reading the book. It’s very powerful.

Old 12-29-2022, 11:10 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I just got out my big eraser and replaced "2022" with "2023" on last year's Resolution List!
I lost my list years ago.

Old 12-29-2022, 04:15 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,757,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
You're an alcoholic. Please start a recovery program or you may not make it to retirement. I lost both of my siblings to booze, they were 49 and 55 when they died. Have you ever tried AA? Complete sobriety should be your goal. You're a danger to yourself and others.
Correct. Anyone who continues to drive drunk after two DUIs is an addict. Addicts who continue to use are... dead folks. With grieving families.

Old 12-29-2022, 05:21 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,038,285 times
If I have not mentioned it before......to put the laundry away as soon as it comes out of the dryer. Otherwise, my kittens will make me wash it away before I wear it.

Old 12-29-2022, 06:52 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,026,750 times
Turning off all electronic devices at 5 pm.

Old 12-29-2022, 06:58 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,654,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Want to start taking better care of myself. Keep up with doctors appointments.

We lost two siblings and two more were hospitalized. Has not been a good year.
Mine is to purchase less, especially clothing, jewelry, etc.

Have more experiences....away from husband. Just so much of his misogyny, racism and general hate I can stand. More time away from him, even if it is just sitting in the park in my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement