Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 08:35 AM

1,108 posts, read 527,950 times

Advertisements

better stay away from Texas unless you like traffic, crime, heat, elec issues and bible thumpers. Plus we have gun toting homeowners that will shoot you if break in their cars or house. In addition to the wild cows, rattlesnakes, high property taxes and people who actually use words like thank you you would be better off say in Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 10:34 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
And it appears they use their streets as the storm drainage system. I was only there a few months, but I have vivid memories of coming down off of an overpass into a flooded street.

It was just crazy.
That happened to me there, too. I couldn't get off my exit to go to work because I could see pick up trucks on the ramp with water up to their doors. I finally found an exit I could get off, and ended up trapped in a Walgreen's parking lot that was an island in a sea. One side of the road was clear but it was the wrong way, so I sat there for an hour trying to figure out how to get back on the highway to go home. Finally a dump truck came riding down the street going in the wrong direction to get on the highway, and I just pulled out behind him and stayed right behind him till we got on.

It had only been raining for a couple of hours!

Old 02-02-2023, 10:35 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
better stay away from Texas unless you like traffic, crime, heat, elec issues and bible thumpers. Plus we have gun toting homeowners that will shoot you if break in their cars or house. In addition to the wild cows, rattlesnakes, high property taxes and people who actually use words like thank you you would be better off say in Oregon.
You think Texas is the only place people say thank you?

Old 02-03-2023, 07:45 AM

1,108 posts, read 527,950 times
No and i guess you like a bunch of others here cant figure out my response were sarcastic - i love it here in central tx - only have a stop sign in downtown, no traffic, close to a bigger city, great people who believe in God and respect, low taxes and low COL.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:34 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
No and i guess you like a bunch of others here cant figure out my response were sarcastic - i love it here in central tx - only have a stop sign in downtown, no traffic, close to a bigger city, great people who believe in God and respect, low taxes and low COL.
Sounds like Luckenbach with Waylon, Willie and the boys!

Old 02-03-2023, 08:51 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
OK, now that it's 2023 should the list be updated?

I searched "best places to retire if you're rich" (Not that I am) and was disappointed to learn that, just like a common concern given for us normal schmucks, one of the primary considerations was taxes. WTH? I don't get it. You've got all the money in the world yet are worried about taxes? LOL.

Perhaps a compilation of the best places to live could be compared to the so called best retirement locations to see if there's any overlap. https://realestate.usnews.com/places...places-to-live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement