Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 06:24 PM

740 posts, read 472,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
I think of her as a beautiful soul too. Maybe just too fragile for the pressures of the world. And she was so so crushed by the death of her adored son. I never met her like you did but I'm happy to know my impression of her innate kindness was spot on. Kinda wonderful that she did you a solid favor. Such a sweet memory.
Oh, I never met her either. You have heard of that 'degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon' thing? It was through a series of odd connections that she actually called me and spoke at length with me over the phone x3 times offering her help and sympathy with an enormous and sad issue I was dealing with in my life at that time- maybe 7 years ago?

You are correct, she was kindness incarnate in the things she said to me, and the solid favor was that she managed to give me a measure of hope where I'd had so little before...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 04:11 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
Oh, I never met her either. You have heard of that 'degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon' thing? It was through a series of odd connections that she actually called me and spoke at length with me over the phone x3 times offering her help and sympathy with an enormous and sad issue I was dealing with in my life at that time- maybe 7 years ago?

You are correct, she was kindness incarnate in the things she said to me, and the solid favor was that she managed to give me a measure of hope where I'd had so little before...
I am afraid I don't see the connection.....unless you are playing that version that uses a connection of anything to achieve its ends like they did at commercial breaks on USA, I believe, DECADES ago.

That is, even worse than using Star Trek where Alfred Ryder is linked with Andy Williams because:

1. Ryder with Shatner in ST:TOS in The Man Trap
2. Shatner with Janos Prohaska in ST: TOS (again) in The Devil in the Dark
3. Prohaska as "Cookie Bear" in The Andy Williams Show with Andy Williams

The basic point is.......I'd rather not trivialize acts of God with "what if, what if, what if" (and then, anything flies) and see them, instead, as Divine Intervention.

On Ms. Presley, I am sorry so many feel such a loss. I am sorry that I can't see such the way so many people do but I suppose that when it comes down to it, we must all approach death individually. I am glad they went quickly and it was not lingering.

What does get to me is reading those who died in their 50s or 60s and knowing that I am in that ball park, too. Of course, part of the issue is, when I look at someone like Brian Blessed, well into his 80s, with the way our world is, do I want to be around at that age? But then again, it is easy enough to say "No" when one is healthy but will one say, "Okay, let's go," when they are told that Death's Door is near?

Old 01-16-2023, 10:57 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Gina Lollobrigida, January 16, age 95, in Rome.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:49 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
All these peers dying is scary.

Now drummer randy Bachman from BTO died
MJ, I get your reference here, but that is what happens when we age.

I'm 59, and at least 1/3 my high school classmates are gone already.
I could look at it "positively" and say/think that I've outlived them.

Many years ago my father told my aunt "everyone is my neighborhood is dying '.
To which my aunt replied 'well move out there!'
As if that would stop death!

Having now been actually dead 4 times, I can honestly say I'm not afraid of death/dying, at least in the same manner of my first 4 deaths.. relatively quick and painless.

We ALL face two things:
1) we are ALL growing older (and at the same time!);
2) we ALL will die... someday, somewhere.

I will definitely miss Meatloaf!

MJ...play a heavy drum solo in memoriam of your BTO compadre!

Best

Best

Old 01-17-2023, 05:32 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
...Many years ago my father told my aunt "everyone is my neighborhood is dying '.
To which my aunt replied 'well move out there!'
As if that would stop death!...
I suspect your aunt was making a joke. I like her sense of humor.

Old 01-17-2023, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Oh, she was

.(hope that came across)

But, still..

Yeah, if all your neighbors are dying off..yeah, sure, just move to another neighborhood...sure, auntie, sure...

As I've now been clinically registered dead, I guess I could say: death is following me around, just waiting to pounce on me again. Someday I'll just have to accept that death will pounce one time too many...and will succeed in making me permanently dead.

Best

Old 01-17-2023, 05:56 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Right.. That's a joke. And it's pretty funny!

Old 01-17-2023, 07:36 AM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Oh, she was

.(hope that came across)

But, still..

Yeah, if all your neighbors are dying off..yeah, sure, just move to another neighborhood...sure, auntie, sure...

As I've now been clinically registered dead, I guess I could say: death is following me around, just waiting to pounce on me again. Someday I'll just have to accept that death will pounce one time too many...and will succeed in making me permanently dead.

Best

Well, as Wm. Saroyan said to the associated press before his death:" Everybody has to die, but I always believed an exception would be made in my case. Now what?“

Old 01-17-2023, 08:32 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Well, as Wm. Saroyan said to the associated press before his death:" Everybody has to die, but I always believed an exception would be made in my case. Now what?“
Curious name, Saroyan.....know it more for his daughter (and her part in the flick Hopscotch with step dad Walter Matthau) than him.

In any event, it sounds like my philosophy of life when I was young in that I didn't figure to live past 50, that 50 was a good age to check out.........and the MASSIVE mental shakeup I went through as 50 rolled around and I was still kicking. I did things like the life before, the life now and after, redefining 50, other little "tricks" to put aside....."aren't I'm suppose to be dead now?".

Well, at least I didn't have someone around to remind me of that. You know........

"I understand that you offered your life to Gods if they would save me when I was dying with fever. That was most noble."--Caligula
"Thank you, Caesar."--Senator
"But now I am well and you are still alive. You better take care of that, the Gods do not like to be kept waiting."....I think this is from "I, Claudius".

Old 01-19-2023, 04:36 PM

Dave Crosby.

Today.

The greatest music generation is just becoming a figment of our imagination.

Soon, WE will be a figment of someone's soon enough, IF there's anyone to figment us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement