Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 04:24 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times

Advertisements

Luckily, I have friends and neighbors close by who will come help if I get sick and need it. Never have so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 05:13 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No judgment here, I spend a lot of time in my RV. You've got it just right: You do what you have to do.
I just came back to delete that but I can't edit it anymore. I'd decided it was TMI. Ah, well. Thank you for understanding, though.

Old 02-09-2023, 05:47 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I have informed the place where I volunteer twice a week, that if I miss a shift, and they can't get me on the phone, to call my sister and let her know.

I found it quite touching that once, when I went down to visit my sister for a few days, my landlord texted me to see if I was OK. Now I let them know when I am going to be away.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:34 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
If I'm dead, I'm not going to care. Some people can keep a house neat as a pin. Others....a tornado would be the cause and remedy for it.

Old 02-09-2023, 08:02 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
otterhere, dirty dishes ?

Am laughing, someone's house was needed for a Bible study; have it at my house.

So! Was asked today, how long I've lived in my home. Moved to a new modular home 4 years ago. 12 senior women come to my home; this was the 2nd meeting. My friend, asked me "Everyone is asking why pictures are not hanging? The living room, dining area is all open, 3 pictures lean against different walls.

Bare walls I enjoy, art work, pictures, leaning against the walls. So, as to stop their puzzlement, will have a Hanging Party ! In another room, 2 watercolors, don't want sunlight ..Any artists can inform me, should I be concerned about fading, sunlight ?

Old 02-09-2023, 08:58 PM

307 posts, read 211,057 times
My only real social contacts are my co-workers;my 2 living close family members live on the other side of the country...I don't have friends or relationships;and my interaction with my neighbors never go beyond the casual wave as I see them coming in/out of the building. I am a stubborn,mostly unlikeable curdmundgeon(Sp?) and as I get older,sicker and more depressed I can see the scene that will come to be when I hopefully die suddenly in my apartment as the result of a widowmaker or something similar and effective.
If I'm still working;I will only spend at most 2 or three days dead on the floor. My boss and co-workers will start trying to contact me..my closest co-worker knows where I keep a key to my apartment in the office;and somebody will go to my apartment looking for me and hopefully they will find me before de-composition has begun.

I've told my co-workers that they may start appropiating my vast media collections as soon as the are allowed in after the police investigation(If there's any);the only condition being that someone has to adopt and take care of my cat. Some of them are familiar with my cat since they fed and looked after her while I was recently stuck in hospitals/nursing homes for over 4 months.

If I croak while after I've stopped going to the office;my closest neighbors will start savoring the funky smells of human decomposition and cat feces and the large quantity of maggots all over the place and call security.
Police will be called;my door will be forced open and they will find me dead on the floor or on my bed...bathtub...toilet,etc.. I hope is the police who find me first.Around the same time,my landlady;who lives in another state;may also start getting concerned that I am at least 2 weeks late with the rent whereas I've always sent her the check at least one week before the beginning of the month;even as I lingered in the nursing homes.

She will start calling/texting....I don't think she knows where I work or if I have relatives: I don't think I've ever told her where I work;or where my family lives. She will then come down to Miami.

When she reaches my apartment;she will call a locksmith to open the door...Immediately she will be overtaken by the smell;then she will find me with my face ,nose,lips and eyelids eaten away by my cat...That's how they find old people who live alone with a pet..like a bloody skull with hair attached...and I don't have hair anymore.

She will be happy,if my co-workers didn't follow up on my offer first;to appropiate my LP records,etc. either keeping them in the apartment after my smelly bloated remains are taken away and the crime scene cleanup crews have done their thing whitewashing
my spilled body sauces,etc. or if she's just too naive she may just call in a crew to hoist them to the dump. I hope she can really see some benefit after disposing of my stuff...she has been so good to me over the years.

I don't have a will...or assets other than my stuff as described above...no savings/investment accounts...real estate..cars...jewelry...All I have is debt...My "estate"??....I really can't see Visa and MasterCard hoisting handtrucks of LP record crates ;so I will be happy if my co-workers or my landlady reaps the benefit(If any) of
taking my stuff.

If I die in a nursing home/hospital...I guess somebody at the office will call my relatives..or the co-worker that I have listed as an emergency contact. Some of them did visit me during my recent stay at the nursing home even after my request that they not do so; and they were in touch with my family;even though they are 3500 miles away they may willing to come down to select the funeral home for my disposal.

Old 02-10-2023, 06:21 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think it's like the old saw of having nice underwear on in case you are in an accident.

My sister was an ER nurse on the night shift for 20 years. She says she never noticed the underwear of anyone brought in.

No one is going to care about the dishes in your sink, either.
A radio DJ one quipped that if his underwear was clean prior to the accident, it certainly would not be after the accident.

Old 02-10-2023, 06:45 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think it's like the old saw of having nice underwear on in case you are in an accident.

My sister was an ER nurse on the night shift for 20 years. She says she never noticed the underwear of anyone brought in.

No one is going to care about the dishes in your sink, either.
I don't know, it seems to me that enough people can identify with the fear of being "caught" in their holey underwear, their ratty old T-shirts or with their dirty dishes in the sink or their floors not being clean enough to eat off, that it's really not a big deal if it actually happens. It's kind of a " there but for the grace of G-d......" type thing.

It's certainly happened to me. I've had a couple accidents/falls resulting in broken bones or other injuries requiring trips to the ER in my less than finest outerwear, and underwear too, come to think of it. I think I gave a passing thought to what I was wearing at the time, but that was it as the injuries commanded more attention and the nurses/EMTs/docs sure didn't seem to pay much attention to the condition of my clothes. Wouldn't matter anyway if they had to cut off the clothes.

Old 02-10-2023, 06:58 AM

899 posts, read 669,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
A radio DJ one quipped that if his underwear was clean prior to the accident, it certainly would not be after the accident.
I looked to confirm what happens when you die and found:

Your muscles relax. Your muscles loosen immediately after death, releasing any strain on your bowel and bladder. As a result, most people poop and pee at death.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...s-when-you-die

Old 02-10-2023, 09:36 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't know, it seems to me that enough people can identify with the fear of being "caught" in their holey underwear, their ratty old T-shirts or with their dirty dishes in the sink or their floors not being clean enough to eat off, that it's really not a big deal if it actually happens. It's kind of a " there but for the grace of G-d......" type thing.

It's certainly happened to me. I've had a couple accidents/falls resulting in broken bones or other injuries requiring trips to the ER in my less than finest outerwear, and underwear too, come to think of it. I think I gave a passing thought to what I was wearing at the time, but that was it as the injuries commanded more attention and the nurses/EMTs/docs sure didn't seem to pay much attention to the condition of my clothes. Wouldn't matter anyway if they had to cut off the clothes.
I suppose it matters if you are news worthy of not. You know, the difference in burials at sea between the famous rich admiral or the poor weekend Sunbird sailor, burn the yacht or flush them down the toilet.

If you are no one, better to have the house clean for otherwise, they may pick you up on a slow news day. If you are someone, might as live like Howard Hughes because no matter how neat you are, someone will twist it to make headlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement