Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2023, 09:37 AM

21,958 posts, read 13,019,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Something to think about. People who could use the food but might not be able to get to it.
Again, there are Meals on Wheels. It sounds like this person almost needed nursing home care, which is also free to the indigent. It's often either pride or ignorance -- simply being unaware of what's available to you.

When in doubt, call the man.

But we digress...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2023, 09:53 AM

37,485 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
What "huge" safety net is that? A very large percentage of seniors on social security don't qualify for Food Stamps, low income housing, Medicaid, etc.

I'm not trying to be snarky. I really want to know. This is from someone who's researched it. What did I miss?
I ride the Poverty-level fence, we qualify for Food Stamps /EBT. The last time we checked I think it came to $9 a month.

We have never claimed it though.

I am a farmer, my Dw volunteers at a local food pantry [where they insist that at the end of each shift, each volunteer goes home with a box of food]. As a result, our kitchen is always stocked with fresh fruit, veggies, meats, and cheeses. We buy very little of our food from grocery stores.

I built our house with no mortgage. Our property taxes are jokingly low.

Just because someone does not have a high income does not mean that they must live a 'poor' lifestyle.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:19 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,921,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I ride the Poverty-level fence, we qualify for Food Stamps /EBT. The last time we checked I think it came to $9 a month.

We have never claimed it though.

I am a farmer, my Dw volunteers at a local food pantry [where they insist that at the end of each shift, each volunteer goes home with a box of food]. As a result, our kitchen is always stocked with fresh fruit, veggies, meats, and cheeses. We buy very little of our food from grocery stores.

I built our house with no mortgage. Our property taxes are jokingly low.

Just because someone does not have a high income does not mean that they must live a 'poor' lifestyle.
Wow, that beats the $16/mo that my EBT went down to in 2011. This was during my transition to disability and getting on Medicare, so I let it go.

You're right about not having to live a "poor" lifestyle. I have to say I live a pretty good life considering my economic limitations. It really is about mindset and past history/habits. I do make bigger and bigger sacrifices these days, though.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:24 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

If you're in a city of any size, there's free public transportation for the needy elderly.

Even here in Podunk.
no, not everywhere. Even in my large city transit for the elderly with low income is not free.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-25-2023 at 10:33 AM..

Old 02-25-2023, 10:29 AM

249 posts, read 125,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Yep all the neighbors picked up her groceries and took her to the doctor cause she could not afford a car. Her sister sent her money too.
It's nice that she has a sister who sends her money, but is it possible for her to take her in?

Old 02-25-2023, 10:35 AM

249 posts, read 125,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Wow, that beats the $16/mo that my EBT went down to in 2011. This was during my transition to disability and getting on Medicare, so I let it go.

You're right about not having to live a "poor" lifestyle. I have to say I live a pretty good life considering my economic limitations. It really is about mindset and past history/habits. I do make bigger and bigger sacrifices these days, though.
If you have your health, there are always options to be able to help yourself. Being poor, alone and disabled usually means you have to depend on others. That's very sad and scary.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:46 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,921,266 times
Yes, I live with fear every day. I try to keep it at bay. I believe that a lot of elders live with fear about the future, especially in these times. They don't always admit it. I'm thankful for good medical care and being a fairly high energy person. But that could change. I'm always thinking about how I can prepare better for changed circumstances.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:46 AM

48,557 posts, read 34,927,283 times
Quote:
I honestly do not understand how someone could go without food in this country, save for pride. As someone else posted, there are food pantries and soup kitchens aplenty; ALTHOUGH, I do not know if that would actually be true in a very rural area. Even in a place like NYC, with tens of thousands of homeless, nobody has to miss a meal. Then again, maybe it is easier in places like that with restaurants and food stores giving good food to those who can distribute it.

In the suburbs of NJ, there are food pantries and soup kitchens everywhere, usually run by a church or a group of them. There was even an organization called the Interfaith something or other, with a variety of Christian churches as well as Jewish synagogues and a Sikh temple particpating by taking turns providing lunch each day.

I give to those places because I believe everyone in this country should eat. (Well, the world, actually.) We have more than enough to go around. Please take what is offered if you have no money. There is no shame in needing food.
We're rural and one elderly neighbor was without a car, and had no food unless the church dropped it off, which sometimes they didn't. We filled in with shopping for him until his car was fixed, which took about a year.

We have extremely limited public transportation out here. Three years and I've never seen any.

I would have cooked for him but he eats almost nothing we do.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-25-2023, 10:51 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We're rural and one elderly neighbor was without a car, and had no food unless the church dropped it off, which sometimes they didn't. We filled in with shopping for him until his car was fixed, which took about a year.

We have extremely limited public transportation out here. Three years and I've never seen any.

I would have cooked for him but he eats almost nothing we do.
You are a good neighbor.

Old 02-25-2023, 11:00 AM

48,557 posts, read 34,927,283 times
Quote:
You are a good neighbor.
I wouldn't say "good" so much as not horrible?

No one should ever go hungry.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement