Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 08:35 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times

Advertisements

Many of us are aware that after retirement, we may not pay as close attention to our appearance and style as when we were younger and working. We see it happening all around us. We might remember being embarrassed by our own parents when they kept wearing clothes that had gone out of fashion long ago.

How do you know when your own style needs "updating"?

I know I'm getting "up there" and feel like I need refreshing (as a male) but how? I look at pictures from 15 years ago and think, "Oh look, I have that same shirt on now!" I don't want to look like someone that time forgot, or like I'm trying to be young again, and shop in the "young men's" section of the department store. Where to find clothes that say "I still care about how I look" that are still age-appropriate for someone in their 60's and beyond? And this would be casual wear -- no jackets, ties, etc.

Of course, women are free to weigh in on their own choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 08:44 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Savvy

Rule #1: Cargo shorts are always in style.
Rule #2: Polo/golf shirts are stylish.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:07 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I thought cargos were a 90's thing. I've never owned a pair. I have a slim build and they look ridiculously huge on me. I have no more butt to fill them out.

Polo shirts have been around forever, but I seldom see them anymore. That wouldn't be an "update".

Old 05-18-2023, 12:20 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Rule #1: Cargo shorts are always in style
Dayum you failed right out of the blocks.

Cargo shorts are definitely not in style, they aren't as horrible as cargo pants but anything cargo that isn't part of a designated work uniform screams "I haven't updated my look in decades."

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I don't want to look like someone that time forgot, or like I'm trying to be young again, and shop in the "young men's" section of the department store.
Yeah it's a fine line, you don't want to look dated but also don't want to be the 40something guy dressed like a skateboarder and wearing a backwards ball cap. My wife showed me some website on this subject once (I think it was a hint because I had a Led Zeppelin t-shirt on) I'll try to find it and post it here.

Old 05-18-2023, 04:57 AM

1,408 posts, read 748,130 times
I'm a Floridian, cargo shorts are almost a uniform down here. I love 'em because my wife never has a pocket for her cell phone and I have extras.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:09 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
I threw away my cargo shorts 10 years ago. I prefer golf type shorts made by quality brands (there are several).

Yes, polo/golf shirts are always in style. I also like "Life is good" and other logo, high quality tee shirts for every day kicking around.
Chino's are usually dressy enough for the places I go where shorts are not appropriate.
Hawaiian style shirts are also fine and look good with either shorts or long pants.

I get my examples of how NOT to dress when I go to the Big Box store that has 'low prices every day' and see what people are wearing there.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:15 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I consider one of the benefits of aging, is that you no longer have to give a rat's patootie what other people think about your "style", or worry if they are snickering behind their hands because you haven't updated your wardrobe. I wear what I like, what's comfortable, clean, and in good repair. That's my take on it.
Wasn't it Kate Hepburn who said, "Fashion is the refuge of the uncourageous"?

Old 05-18-2023, 05:27 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I know there’s a ton of YouTube videos on what women need to do to avoid looking frumpy. I bet there are some for men, too.

Although I agree once you hit a certain age, who cares? I just want to be comfortable.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:59 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
There are geographical differences and climate adjustments to wardrobes, needs must.

Age has nothing to do with it; comfort is all.

Old 05-18-2023, 06:23 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Rule#3 - rule#1 and rule#2 do not apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement