Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 08:32 AM

48,581 posts, read 34,980,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
A tank top? Really? We don't allow them in any of our facilities. Haven't seen anyone wear one in decades.

What is your facility? I did not say we were going to a facility of any type....

I see tank tops frequently in situations where they are appropriate.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 08:35 AM

2,115 posts, read 3,022,671 times
Frumpy is comfortable and I'm not trying to impress anyone.

That's just me.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:58 AM

1,436 posts, read 769,090 times
This thread reminds me of a sign I saw at a bar in Bangkok. Gave me a giggle.

Dress for the body you have...

Old 05-18-2023, 09:05 AM

7,205 posts, read 4,605,718 times
This is truly the least of my worries).

Old 05-18-2023, 09:09 AM

11,180 posts, read 9,806,175 times
I really like the Untuckit brand of button down shirts for men. They look casual but not messy. We are very much "athleisure" types and so we wear things like golf shorts, pickleball attire (think modern tennis wear), and anything that's made to protect from the sun, like Columbia brand fishing shirts, etc. Both my DH and I wear these things. He also favors cargo shorts or jeans, and as a woman, I like to wear golf skorts, and Skechers pants. We almost never dress up.

Most important thing is to not wear your pants pulled halfway to your armpits. That just looks sad. And also avoid the socks with sandals thing. Just go get a pedicure and wear your sandals properly, or wear casual sneakers or deck shoes (slip-ons) with shorts.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:17 AM

11,180 posts, read 9,806,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What is your facility? I did not say we were going to a facility of any type....

I see tank tops frequently in situations where they are appropriate.
Iam the most casual of dressers but to me, the only places tank tops are appropriate or look okay on men are 1) working in the yard, 2) at the beach or park, 3) camping or boating, 4) at the gym, 5) lazing about at home. Otherwise, they look sloppy, and the underarm hair can look gross and/or unkempt.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:18 AM

5,056 posts, read 7,446,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
A question I have related to this thread = why do some people use age as a measuring point for where you no longer need to care about your appearance? I see some people in this thread basically saying this and I wonder when their attitude changed and how far will they take it, like would they go out with food stains on the front of their shirt too?

I get it with physical limitations, but it doesn't seem like an opinion shared by all senior citizens since I have seen plenty who appear to make more effort than others to dress up even if the fashion is a bit dated. I used to always see this one old guy in our supermarket and he was great, even in peak of summer always had this tweed jacket with nice slacks and penny loafers pushing his cart around.
I think they would still draw a line at food stains. If they notice them.

If you're now living in Spain (wasn't it recently Japan?) you would see that Europeans care more about their appearance than Americans as they age. At least it used to be that way, not sure if it still is. It felt like they had not just more style but more dignity and self-respect. Of course there's the stereotype of the tacky American tourist in Europe that everyone can spot from a mile away. Why do so many Americans dress like slobs?

Old 05-18-2023, 09:28 AM

5,256 posts, read 3,623,104 times
I started wearing blue jeans when starting high school & I have never found anything as comfortable as them in the many years since. Original, bell bottoms, designer (very briefly), stone washed, boot cut... I have now ascended to the "relaxed fit" category (are those "Dad Jeans"?) that I will probably wear till the end of my days. Nothing has ever been as comfortable to wear to me for those who insist I must wear pants.

I'm puzzled by the trend of torn jeans (horizontally ripped in the front legs) as a fashion statement, it's inexplicably been around for several years too. ???

I had to google Life is Good tee shirts, must be a local thing or something - never heard of or seen them before.

In hot weather I will wear any cotton shorts except those with a pleated front.

Honestly, in my ideal world I would wear mostly a well washed/worn short-sleeved white cotton oxford shirt with very washed/worn jeans & sandals, no socks. The occasional peasant shirt for variety.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:31 AM

7,963 posts, read 3,918,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Rule #1: Cargo shorts are always in style.
Rule #2: Polo/golf shirts are stylish.
Rule #3: Only buy clothing sold at Costco.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 05-18-2023 at 09:40 AM..

Old 05-18-2023, 09:39 AM

7,963 posts, read 3,918,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I really like the Untuckit brand of button down shirts for men.
Me too - but not the price tag. I just can't get over the price tag. A hundred bucks for a casual shirt??? No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement