Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 06:54 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

I think it's harder to answer this question for men, but I would say buy news things at least every 5 years even if it is the a similar version to what you have. Little changes that happen to styles can make them look more "in fashion."

My husband had asked me if he looked okay to wear a tank top, and yeah he did. But the tank he was wearing looked dated, and made him look older. I pulled out some that I had bought for camping and had him put it on and it looked much more current. I think it had to do with the cut, and the hang of the fabric. The cut of things can make a huge difference. I know in my husband's head he is thinking "they are both tank tops, both the same", but they are not.

Probably the best way not to look frumpy is to keep weight down and maintain muscle definition/toneness.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 07:20 AM

8,041 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I threw away my cargo shorts 10 years ago. I prefer golf type shorts made by quality brands (there are several).

Yes, polo/golf shirts are always in style. I also like "Life is good" and other logo, high quality tee shirts for every day kicking around.
Chino's are usually dressy enough for the places I go where shorts are not appropriate.
Hawaiian style shirts are also fine and look good with either shorts or long pants.

I get my examples of how NOT to dress when I go to the Big Box store that has 'low prices every day' and see what people are wearing there.
No offense, and we are are entitled to wear what we want, but Hawaiian style shirts and "life is good" logo shirts scream old fogy to me.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:25 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
A question I have related to this thread = why do some people use age as a measuring point for where you no longer need to care about your appearance? I see some people in this thread basically saying this and I wonder when their attitude changed and how far will they take it, like would they go out with food stains on the front of their shirt too?

I get it with physical limitations, but it doesn't seem like an opinion shared by all senior citizens since I have seen plenty who appear to make more effort than others to dress up even if the fashion is a bit dated. I used to always see this one old guy in our supermarket and he was great, even in peak of summer always had this tweed jacket with nice slacks and penny loafers pushing his cart around.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:25 AM

903 posts, read 665,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
No offense, and we are are entitled to wear what we want, but Hawaiian style shirts and "life is good" logo shirts scream old fogy to me.

My daughter who is 39-loves the Life is Good shirts. Her favorites are the ones with either the books on them or the seasonal ones.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:42 AM

8,756 posts, read 5,050,099 times
DH wears t-shirts that have dates on them from 20 years ago....and wears them with pride. Although, I don`t think a t-shirt made now, would last that long.
Me....as long as the clothes fit correctly, and are comfy, I am happy...it`s not easy when your 5'1 and 105.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:56 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
I love being an old guy. People ignore me and I can wear whatever I like.

Nobody cares what you wear except yourself.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:01 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
I'm getting smaller as I get older so I have no choice but to shop for new clothes that fit. I make a point of trying new styles. It's one of my great pleasures in life.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:04 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
My clothes are dated?

Trust me, nothing in my life has dated or been dated for more than forty years. There is no dating in my life.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:20 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Unless you live in Hawaii, and then a Hawaiian shirt is business wear.

But generally, those clothes do lean that way.

I bought DH a shirt that said "I'm sexy and I tow it" (RV shirt) because it tickled me, when he got it he said "now I know I'm officially an old man."

I would also say wearing the same hairstyle as you did 20 years ago can make you look frumpy, though men have more leeway.

If I'm not feeling well I dress frumpy, loose sweats, baggy shirts, though I don't go out that way. I like buying current styles, and my niece is my go to if I have questions on what is in style, OR whether or not something looks good on me. I like having a 2nd opinion, and I know she'll be honest.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-18-2023, 08:28 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think it's harder to answer this question for men, but I would say buy news things at least every 5 years even if it is the a similar version to what you have. Little changes that happen to styles can make them look more "in fashion."

My husband had asked me if he looked okay to wear a tank top, and yeah he did. But the tank he was wearing looked dated, and made him look older. I pulled out some that I had bought for camping and had him put it on and it looked much more current. I think it had to do with the cut, and the hang of the fabric. The cut of things can make a huge difference. I know in my husband's head he is thinking "they are both tank tops, both the same", but they are not.

Probably the best way not to look frumpy is to keep weight down and maintain muscle definition/toneness.
A tank top? Really? We don't allow them in any of our facilities. Haven't seen anyone wear one in decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement