Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2023, 09:53 AM

6,314 posts, read 4,225,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I guess I've become a "frumpy" hiker, too. I notice that the older I get, the more I trek in just "whatever," including stretch pants and sneakers. I also just carry a bottle of water (one is enough for five miles or so), I don't really need a snack for that distance, my key and phone fit in my pockets. Others I hike with have the whole get-up - official zip-off hiking pants, sometimes gators, proper hiking boots, backpack with camelback and lunch, hat, wicking fabric tops, and trekking poles - which I also used get up in. Not sure when or how I got "lazy" (maybe hiking alone too much during Covid), but I must say I do feel a bit underdressed in comparison.
I found hiking boots made a huge difference physically for me hiking on Rocky Arizona trails , plus harder for cactus thorns to penetrate. That said though I don’t invest in hiking clothes and it’s got nothing to do with lazy. I just don’t see a need for specific hiking clothes unless they can serve another purpose besides keeping me covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 10:02 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,458,909 times
I have been hiking in the New Mexico mountains and desert for 30+ years and never wore cargo shorts. I use a daypack to carry water, lunch, a poncho in case of rain, and whatever else I need, that doesn't fit in pockets. Nothing high-tech or expensive.

Old 05-20-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
We're hearing a lot of denials that a relaxing of standards correlates with age, but I disagree. Just as we often downsize living spaces when we get older, just as we declutter and donate rather than shop and acquire things, we may scale back on "dressing to impress" or "for success." The first half of life is about striving and building; the second is about slowing down and letting go. I think it's perfectly normal and natural, especially after retirement (because we DO have to "keep up appearances" on the job to some extent) to let that grey hair grow in, to not kill ourselves trying to shed those extra pounds that creep up, and to dress for comfort rather than approval. "To every time, there is a season..." If ever there was a time to be frumpy, it's now.
I pretty much dress and do my make up the same way I’ve always done it, and being 68 hasn’t diminished my enjoyment of that. As a full time working artist for 30 years I never had to keep up appearances or try to impress anyone , and no need to start now I’ve retired from the art biz side of being an artist. Whether I’m frumpy or not is debatable , I don’t exactly strive towards “advanced style” . I don’t diet and eat for health, and yep I could lose about 15 lbs But meh!

Some people fear aging they go to extremes to feel relevant. I’m just glad I’ve reached this age so every sag , grey hair, or wrinkle is a plus whether I package myself in a nice dress or not, and being called ma’am is the least of my concerns. I’ve got an mri coming up and I pray I will get another few years to be as fashionable or as frumpy as I want

Old 05-20-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I have been hiking in the New Mexico mountains and desert for 30+ years and never wore cargo shorts. I use a daypack to carry water, lunch, a poncho in case of rain, and whatever else I need, that doesn't fit in pockets. Nothing high-tech or expensive.
I never wear shorts, T shirts or jeans. My husband wears cargo shorts and they look nice
I have hiking sticks and a sun hat with back shade but yea, no hi tech stuff either.

Old 05-20-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
We're hearing a lot of denials that a relaxing of standards correlates with age, but I disagree. Just as we often downsize living spaces when we get older, just as we declutter and donate rather than shop and acquire things, we may scale back on "dressing to impress" or "for success." The first half of life is about striving and building; the second is about slowing down and letting go. I think it's perfectly normal and natural, especially after retirement (because we DO have to "keep up appearances" on the job to some extent) to let that grey hair grow in, to not kill ourselves trying to shed those extra pounds that creep up, and to dress for comfort rather than approval. "To every time, there is a season..." If ever there was a time to be frumpy, it's now.
In my 40's I realized I was already starting to get frumpy (maybe "dumpy" is a better word) and needed to lose weight. I decided it was "now or never" to turn the tide and improve myself. Once I did, I felt so much better. I keep myself in shape not to impress, but because it makes me feel good. At that time I had to change my wardrobe because what I had been wearing was too big.

Now I'm entering a new stage in my 60's and don't have to impress anyone. But I don't want to "let go" either. It may be "keeping up appearances" but maybe that's a good thing, otherwise I'd fall to pieces. I don't want to reverse the progress I made 20 years ago.

Last edited by aries63; 05-20-2023 at 11:21 AM..

Old 05-20-2023, 12:18 PM

740 posts, read 476,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
In my 40's I realized I was already starting to get frumpy (maybe "dumpy" is a better word) and needed to lose weight. I decided it was "now or never" to turn the tide and improve myself. Once I did, I felt so much better. I keep myself in shape not to impress, but because it makes me feel good. At that time I had to change my wardrobe because what I had been wearing was too big.

Now I'm entering a new stage in my 60's and don't have to impress anyone. But I don't want to "let go" either. It may be "keeping up appearances" but maybe that's a good thing, otherwise I'd fall to pieces. I don't want to reverse the progress I made 20 years ago.
Like it or not, people form opinions about us based upon our appearance-- from birth onwards.

I disagree with the previous poster who said, 'If ever there was a time to be frumpy, it's now.' I believe the opposite is true. In our youth-obsessed culture, it's enough to simply be young... as we age, frumpy old people may find themselves feeling invisible, not taken into account. It's not fair, but... older people enjoyed the advantage of youth at one time as well. As we age, it's more important than ever to preserve our self-esteem, in ways we individually find appropriate.

So, I agree with you, if you prefer to not be frumpy- don't. I've always enjoyed seeing how beautifully dressed/turned out many of advanced ages in places like rome, present themselves. I'll take the white linen trousers, in appropriate venues, over cargo shorts and wife-beaters anytime.

Have you tried the 'fashion/beauty' forum for more concrete tips?

Best of luck.

Old 05-20-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
Like it or not, people form opinions about us based upon our appearance-- from birth onwards.

I disagree with the previous poster who said, 'If ever there was a time to be frumpy, it's now.' I believe the opposite is true. In our youth-obsessed culture, it's enough to simply be young... as we age, frumpy old people may find themselves feeling invisible, not taken into account. It's not fair, but... older people enjoyed the advantage of youth at one time as well. As we age, it's more important than ever to preserve our self-esteem, in ways we individually find appropriate.

So, I agree with you, if you prefer to not be frumpy- don't. I've always enjoyed seeing how beautifully dressed/turned out many of advanced ages in places like rome, present themselves. I'll take the white linen trousers, in appropriate venues, over cargo shorts and wife-beaters anytime.

Have you tried the 'fashion/beauty' forum for more concrete tips?

Best of luck.
^^^I like all this, thank you. I also enjoy seeing older people who take care of themselves. And maybe it's a way I can "model" to younger people, to show them that getting older doesn't have to mean getting dumpy or being a slouch.

I won't try any other forums, style is so individual that I shouldn't ask invisible people for advice anyway, I have to work it out for myself.

Old 05-20-2023, 02:17 PM

260 posts, read 235,178 times
Quote:
But as many older people do care how they appear, can we agree that age and "letting go" are not direct correlations.

Rather, how we dress is a function of taste and personality, and not correlated to a chronologically predetermined disinterest.

I don't disagree with you that "letting go" is normal, and a matter of choice, but I am questioning the correlation that you made, with age. Forgive me, if I misconstrued your post.

Skinny jeans for ever and one of my embarrasingly many jackets!

Old 05-20-2023, 03:00 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,069,751 times
I say military "olive drab" type clothing, or camo/tactical style. As you age, you become more vulnerable to certain crimes such as armed robbery, purse snatching, etc. This probability gets cut way down if you look like your former military, special ops, Marine Corps, etc. Or that you may be "armed", even if your not...

This can be difficult in dating situations or trying to meet a "significant other", however, so there will be times you may wish to abstain for these purposes. BUT.... you will not be "frumpy" when in "gear"....

Last edited by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?; 05-20-2023 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling Error

Old 05-20-2023, 06:11 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,090,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I say military "olive drab" type clothing, or camo/tactical style. As you age, you become more vulnerable to certain crimes such as armed robbery, purse snatching, etc. This probability gets cut way down if you look like your former military, special ops, Marine Corps, etc. Or that you may be "armed", even if your not...

This can be difficult in dating situations or trying to meet a "significant other", however, so there will be times you may wish to abstain for these purposes. BUT.... you will not be "frumpy" when in "gear"....
Something like that. I've always said that if I end up in a skyjacking...............they are going to shoot me first just on general principle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement