Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 10:23 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I re-read Lord of the Rings within the last year. I read it a jillion years ago. For my current taste, it's glacially slow. There are other things I've re-read recently that I abandoned. After the first Foundation book, I gave up my intent to re-read all the Foundation books and where Foundation converges with the Robot books. Caves of Steel has some character development but the Foundation books are cardboard cutouts for characters.

In scrolling through the 100 list, I've probably read half of them but I have no desire to re-read most of those.

On my Kindle, I have:
The fore-mentioned Lord of the Rings trilogy
Lolita
Grapes of Wrath
Pride & Prejudice
The Count of Monte Cristo
Hitchhiker's Guide that I'm reading now
I, Claudius

I re-read A Wrinkle in Time maybe 10 years ago. That wasn't as good as I remembered as a kid.

I've read the Robert Harris Pompeii and first two Cicero books recently so I, Claudius is on my list as similar to those. I have several John Steinbeck novels on my Kindle. I don't think I've read Grapes of Wrath since I was a teen.
Totally agree on the Foundation series. What I find increasingly bizarre is that Trantor takes an entire planet to house what is effectively the internet. It is almost like steampunk computing, and reflects the state of computers back in the dark ages.

Asimov is an author that I often speed read, as his stories can be stretched and bloated novellas. I'm trying to think of authors where every single word needs to be savored, but I keep slipping into poets, where each word is precise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 10:38 AM

518 posts, read 627,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Herman Wouk was writing a summary of the holocaust instead of a novelized history of WWII. He was looking for a Nobel but never got it.
I didn't know that. Can you recommend any other novelized histories of WW2. As I said, I'm particularly interested in that historical period.

Old 06-13-2023, 11:32 AM

35,114 posts, read 17,063,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I got the sexual references in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" and "East of Eden" only as an adult..
Same with the end of Homer's Odyssey.

Old 06-13-2023, 01:52 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,019,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
I didn't know that. Can you recommend any other novelized histories of WW2. As I said, I'm particularly interested in that historical period.
"The Admiral's Wolfpack"

https://www.amazon.com/Admirals-Wolf.../dp/0890833621
Novelized and heavily romanticatized.

Old 06-13-2023, 01:55 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,762,449 times
Quote:
I LOVE libraries and go to my local one at least once a week. I love browsing the shelves, discovering new books, and, of course re-visiting some old ones. Every trip to the library is a new adventure.
I love our library too! I freely admit to browsing new fiction books and picking a book solely by the cover, the title, the size and sometimes the author’s name without a clue of what it’s really about. I usually don’t bother reading the blurb or accolades.. I’ve started some duds, gave them a try but didn’t finish them. I used to feel compelled to finish what I started, but times too short now. I’ve recently discovered some really good authors whose books have been translated to English.

I like audio books and becoming distracted and realizing I hadn’t been listening wasn’t a problem. I listened to them on my 45 minute drive home from and realized I didn’t know what town I had just driven through because I was so engrossed in the story. Luckily it was late at night with little traffic, but still! We listen to audio books on long road trips when music and conversation gets tiring.

I have books on my iPad/phone, but prefer physical books from the library. I sleep better afterward and it doesn’t hurt them as much if they hit the floor if I fall asleep before putting them away. DH can fall sleep with my beside lamp on, so I don’t bother with unsatisfactory book lights.

Old 06-13-2023, 02:51 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,195,084 times
Quote:
I would recommend anything by James Jones. He wrote on the war, art and the aftermath on veterans.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:05 PM

518 posts, read 627,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I love our library too! I freely admit to browsing new fiction books and picking a book solely by the cover, the title, the size and sometimes the author’s name without a clue of what it’s really about. I usually don’t bother reading the blurb or accolades.. I’ve started some duds, gave them a try but didn’t finish them. I used to feel compelled to finish what I started, but times too short now. I’ve recently discovered some really good authors whose books have been translated to English.

I like audio books and becoming distracted and realizing I hadn’t been listening wasn’t a problem. I listened to them on my 45 minute drive home from and realized I didn’t know what town I had just driven through because I was so engrossed in the story. Luckily it was late at night with little traffic, but still! We listen to audio books on long road trips when music and conversation gets tiring.

I have books on my iPad/phone, but prefer physical books from the library. I sleep better afterward and it doesn’t hurt them as much if they hit the floor if I fall asleep before putting them away. DH can fall sleep with my beside lamp on, so I don’t bother with unsatisfactory book lights.
I, too, always felt like I had to finish a book once I started it whether I was enjoying it or not. Now, there are too many books out there to ever read in a lifetime so I no longer feel guilty for not finishing a particular book. Have you read "Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, a fabulous Spanish author and it's translated into English. It's considered a classic and it's a great mystery/love story. It's a book about books and the people who love and collect them. I think you might enjoy it.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:14 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,278,485 times
Quote:
For some reason lately I just can't get into newer books and find myself re-reading older books such as those by James Michener, Herman Wouk, Leon Uris, Thomas Fleming, John Jakes. Rosamunde Pilcher, Taylor Caldwell. I really enjoy historical novels and these authors have always intrigued and educated me about the past. Has anyone else here dipped into old books that they read in their youth but find themselves relishing again? What were some of your favorite books?
I read through a number of Agatha Christie mystery novels in order… then got distracted. I need to hit the library to start re-reading Victoria Holt/Jean Plaidy books. I will have to research what her real name is because at one library I ran into, they put those books under her real name which I thought was kind of stupid but oh my library.

I do love to read mysteries. And unfortunately right now there seems to be an ongoing trend for unreliable narrators. I can always tell when someone is doing that, and to be quite honest I really hate it so every time I get a whiff of it I put the book down.

I no longer have the space in my house for the any of this stuff so I just go to the library. I can pick up something that catches my eye and if it’s not good, there’s no cost to me.

Old 06-13-2023, 06:41 PM

3,090 posts, read 1,551,650 times
Cormac McCarthy died. He won a Pultizer for The Road and was known for other novels like Blood Meridan, All the Pretty Horses etc. The Road was something else.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/13/59842...-dies-obituary

Old 06-13-2023, 08:03 PM

35,114 posts, read 17,063,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Sometimes I'll go to the library and browse reviews of books that look interesting on Goodreads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement