Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 06:46 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times

Advertisements

I'm an early semi-retiree who can easily afford to have it all done, but I've been frugal for so long, its hard for me to stop. The cheapest local lawncare guy is $35/week, so each time I do it, I tell my wife..."we just saved $35"

They dont do the other stuff either...mulching, planting new stuff, trimming hedges, moving plants not doing well where they're at, removing dead or dying stuff, pulling weeds in the beds, ect. They just cut, edge, blow. That is the easiest part. I could do that another 10 years, its all the rest.

I did succomb & hire pro's to do the chemicals, & that has worked out well, but I'm reluctant to turn over the rest. I like it to be done right, & the pro's just do it fast.

I keep saying when my lawnmower shoots craps, that's when I'm done, but Toro's last a long time.

I like the work out in the moderate temp months, but now its frying pan hot, so its brutal here in SW FLA.

So, oldsters, when did you turn it all over? Any regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 07:55 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
We have just a tiny bit of grass in the front. For the city and the HOA. We are kind of grandfathered in with our yard guy. Cash and cold water. He does everything and responds to text on a dime. He does not want customers. We love him. My luxury of him versus me 2 1/2 hours.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:06 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,052,966 times
Well, I'm 80 and I'll do it until I feel unsafe driving the tractor. I find it relaxing. Once you start giving up things you can do, you start going down hill in my opinion. Just my take on it.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:08 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
I've never done my own lawncare.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:34 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times
We are mid 70’s and still do our own.

In a the tractor-is-down emergency we will hire the young man who helps us put up hay. It costs $125 for 1-1/2 hours on his zero turn and it looks like it. It takes me four hours on the JD with a 60” belly mower, so his mowing makes me crazy, lollol.

We also have a riding lawn tractor and the big farm tractor that bush hogs the pastures.

We are right in there with @Nodpete. If we stop keepin’ on, we will be done for.

I have never done well in the high heat/humidity. If the grass dries out enough by 11 00 AM, I’m on the tractor, wearing a tray of ice cubes - no kidding. If I were younger with more energy , I would be mowing in the cool of the evening before the dew sets in.

I still have horses so there’s also barn work to do. This time of year, I try to get to the barn no later than7:00 AM. The drum fans are on timers and help keep things cool until I get chores done.

The horses can run in/out 24/7 but this time of year they prefer the barn during the day and do their grazing at night, so I still have the run-in stalls to clean. No to the people who think they should be shut out of the barn to save work. I’ve been horse keeping 60+ years , I am used to the work, don’t mind it, and my horses are a lot less stressed and big up by bugs & flies.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:11 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
I was still working in 1987 when we bought our first condo. I gave away the lawn mower and have not missed it yet.

There was a crew that weekly did the landscaping, cleaned the pool, etc.

I will never own another house.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:30 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Mr. Dokie quit for good when he was 70. He really disliked the edging and blowing the clippings. We found a guy who mows about 6 yards as a side biz. Reasonably priced, reliable, will wait until the yard dries up after a rain as opposed to the big commercial firms who need to get back out there pronto to stay on schedule.

But he still likes to putter around on his JD so if he sees our neighbor out, he’ll go over and do her mowing and she can edge and blow.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:35 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
We moved into our new home on the Peninsula in 1995. My roommate ignored the lawn. Before long, the weeds were a foot high. The neighbors were none too pleased. Then he decided he'd mow, but he refused to edge. Edging causes one to miss Star Trek reruns.

I got fed up and found a gardener at a reasonable price. My roommate had a fit!

Years later, he does the mowing on our lawn in Scottsdale using an electric mower. The local landscapers want $500/month.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:50 PM

61,706 posts, read 87,101,195 times
In my case it's not the age, but the temperatures. Not going to mow my grass when it's 80+F. My health is more important to me.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:19 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times
We moved to Tennessee in the spring of 2017. One of our new neighbors mentioned that they had a good lawn service and I gave them a call. I told my wife when we left Florida that I had no intentions of mowing ever again and I have been more than happy with that choice. Lawn looks good and I don't have to get out there in the heat and humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement