Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 09:35 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times

Advertisements

Reading through this is one reason I'm kind of glad we're in the "poor folks" section. Barely any savings, both of us get SS and a pension, total of around $46K/year. Kentucky doesn't tax state or federal pensions (I'm retired from the state, wife is a retired civilian employee from Ft. Campbell). Only big tax deal we have is our house. We pay around $500/year, city and county taxes on a house assessed at $90K. My wife says we're not broke, just badly bent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 09:58 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
One of the theories behind the Roth is that earnings grow tax-free and you extract them when you're retired when you presumably have a lower marginal tax rate. That doesn't describe us -- we knew up front our taxable income puts us in the top bracket, and thus when we draw upon money in a Roth account, each dollar is taxed at the top marginal tax rate.
I think you need another mug of coffee before posting, haha.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:49 AM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times
My husband retired this year due to his pension getting socked by interest rates. He was essentially working for 60% of what he was making before. So he has to take the pension payout in December of this year and June next year or we will get socked gain, which we will on taxes because we have some deferred comp payments. So after next year, our income will dramatically decrease. So I guess we timed it well in one sense, before the tax cuts expire. But there is little we can do to stave off this tax beast. We could fund a charitable foundation. We might do that because I would rather direct where the money goes than have the government do it. We need to meet with a good tax person before the end of the year.

I did plan things around taxes to some extent but when my husband was offered the option of deferred comp, we were only give two options on payout: at separation or retirement. I guess technically he is doing both this year anyway. But later, they added other options, which we chose going forward. However, inflation might have ruined that as a positive outcome. I would have to crunch the numbers to determine. When I set it up, inflation didn't exist. It wasn't on my bingo card.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:52 AM

578 posts, read 300,440 times
I had a detailed tax by tax by year plan. Of course it missed the real estate crash.of 2008 the Covid bailouts anf trumps tax bill so basically it was worthless other than for starting a good fire.

Old 08-15-2023, 01:02 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Just a heads-up for those who are married. When my mother passed away a while back, my father's Medicare premiums shot up because of IRMAA. He had several pensions, a few tIRAs, several bank accounts and millions in investment accounts. It may have been useful if he had converted some of the tIRA funds to Roth and maybe lightened up on the dividend paying stocks before the bomb went off. I'm not sure if taking these actions would have made much difference in the grand scheme of things, and he certainly could afford the higher premiums, but it certainly took him by surprise.

Old 08-15-2023, 01:15 PM

7,752 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I think you need another mug of coffee before posting, haha.
I ALWAYS need another mug of coffee. Especially after last night's excessively aged single-malt, which I blame for my post.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 08-15-2023 at 02:05 PM..

Old 08-15-2023, 04:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Just a heads-up for those who are married. When my mother passed away a while back, my father's Medicare premiums shot up because of IRMAA. ....
married, filing joint is a big tax wake-up call (what-if) when you become a single filer (of which we have plenty here, and each will eventually become).

I don't see the income need halving, when there are half of us. Certainly not the property tax bill, since neither of us would choose to leave this current home.

Should have done more Roth Conversions during employment and early retirement. Probably from day one. Tax free gains inside the Roth, easily cover the income taxes in just a few years. Stack 40-50 yrs of subsequent tax free earnings and you could be in decent shape for tax exempt Roth withdrawals, especially as a single filer.

Seems to me...

Old 08-15-2023, 06:29 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
married, filing joint is a big tax wake-up call (what-if) when you become a single filer (of which we have plenty here, and each will eventually become).

I don't see the income need halving, when there are half of us. Certainly not the property tax bill, since neither of us would choose to leave this current home.

Should have done more Roth Conversions during employment and early retirement. Probably from day one. Tax free gains inside the Roth, easily cover the income taxes in just a few years. Stack 40-50 yrs of subsequent tax free earnings and you could be in decent shape for tax exempt Roth withdrawals, especially as a single filer.

Seems to me...
Since my father was a member of the "Greatest Generation," the tIRAs weren't huge, maybe $400,000 at the time of his death. But adding in dividend income, two significant pensions, interest, Social Security and probably some capital gains, you're looking at some real money. Since the Boomers had the opportunity to open their tIRAs at a much younger age, my thought was similar to yours. It's much less painful to convert in small bites than wait until it come back to bite ... your spouse.

Old 08-15-2023, 08:21 PM

949 posts, read 787,434 times
I retired at 57 (turn 67 next month) and bought fixed annuitized structured notes to fund the years until I draw SS at age 70 and beyond (until 83). I use a reverse amortization table to report interest, so when I turn 70, the payouts from my annuities will be mostly return of capital (not taxed). By keeping my income low, I paid nothing for my Obamacare insurance coverage until I reached Medicare eligibility. I also pay zero tax each year because the interest from my annuities is low and I have a carryover loss that negates all capital gains I might have.

At age 70, I estimate I'll get around 57K (including future colas) annually from SS. I should be able to keep my income low enough so I will pay very little tax. If I earn 10K in interest, I'll owe less than $400 in taxes since only 15% of my SS would be taxed. If I were to earn some additional capital gains, the untaxed portion of SS is not included when determining my IRMAA bracket. That's another way SS is tax advantaged versus other taxable forms of income.

When I turn 73, I'll investigate using a QLAC to defer RMDs from my IRA.

I have no heirs, so my goal is to have enough to self-fund long term care and spend the rest of my savings before I die.

Last edited by mitchmiller9; 08-15-2023 at 08:31 PM..

Old 08-15-2023, 08:58 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Well... my small IRA was worth about a quarter of yours in the two years in which I converted... but after Roth conversion, it gained in one year almost 5 times what I paid in taxes (ie, I was immediately compensated for tax payments)... of course, then it crashed again, but it has still regained by now (3.5 years later) more than what I paid in taxes. If the market subsequently does okay, you get your tax payment back pretty soon in Roth.
Likely not if I pay 28 percent or higher on it. IMO. But yes, I could get lucky in that regard.
It sure would pain me to convert at higher than 25%, though.
I just don't think makes any sense.

Converting 100K a year, plus pension and other income, ugh.
As has been alluded to, it's a first world problem, and a nice one at that.

I'm leaning toward topping off maybe the 25% bracket but that's it.
If in 10 years of conversions I only get 100K rolled over at that rate. I think I may just have to live with that.

I'll just have to take by year by year I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement