Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2023, 01:33 PM

253 posts, read 235,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
One of them Alexa things, smart LED bulbs, smart sensors, robot vacuum, a smart cam for outside. Everything is now automatic, lights automatically turn on when I enter a room, turn off when I leave. TV comes on when I get up, turns off when I go to bed. I say good morning Alexa, she says "hey baby."

I like it.
I like your style.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 10:46 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Several small items. Several grabber/reach tools. One in the kitchen, another in the computer room. A roller stool for scurrying around in the kitchen.

Old 12-05-2023, 11:09 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
I live in an apartment so I have to accept a lot of what is given to me by the apartment complex. They did find me a ground floor apartment when I could no longer go up and down outside stairs but I would definitely prefer a walk in shower to a shower/tub combo and a microwave that sits on the kitchen counter instead of above the stove because in addition to leg problems, I'm short. I don't use the second and third shelves in my kitchen cabinets because I'm short and can't go up a stepladder. I own a washer/dryer but wish the washer was front loading but don't want stackables because I couldn't reach the top appliance. My lift chair is very comfortable even if I don't use the lift feature, elevates my legs, gives lumbar support, has the arms I need to push off from and I sleep in it even though I also have a nice bed. Have a reacher but keep it in my car so I can reach things in the back of my trunk. My computer tower is kept on the floor right next to my chair so I have easy access to it and its ports. My printer is on a rolling cart. Have 2 bathrooms and the one nearest to my computer is tricked out for me, alone.

Probably, the smartest thing I bought is a collapsible shopping cart you can either push or pull and has 4 inch wheels in the back and 3 inch wheels in the front (important to consider when buying). I fold it up and put it in the back seat behind the driver in a standing position, so I don't even have to lift it out of a trunk. When you want to go up a curb you just tilt a full cart on its back wheels, then push up the back of the cart. When you go down a curb, also tilt it on its back wheels and roll it off the curb. I use it primarily for taking things to and from my car to my apartment like groceries, packages, cameras and and camera equipment, for example. Also take it with me on driving vacations.

Old 12-07-2023, 09:09 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
.... I would definitely prefer a walk in shower to a shower/tub combo and a microwave that sits on the kitchen counter instead of above the stove ....
Perhaps consider buying a small countertop microwave. They are fairly cheap..some in the $50 range.

Old 12-07-2023, 09:55 AM

7,139 posts, read 4,546,769 times
Laura, I also bought a cart since buying a condo and keep it in my car. I can bring in a bunch of items with one trip. I have noticed that younger people in our building also use them.

Old 12-07-2023, 01:17 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,611,841 times
One of the after-effects of having Covid is that my childhood bronchial asthma symptoms returned after a 60 year absence. I recently had been wheezing, coughing & hacking daily for 3 months, forget about venturing outside during the Canadian forest fire smoke episodes which apparently are forecast to be probable annual events.

What has helped quite a bit is getting a good air-purifier for the apartment. Even though I have no pets & have painted most of the rooms & sealed the exposed brick wall, I get a lot of dust & that has been a problem for breathing. I came late to the realization that opening a window for some "fresh air" is mostly counterproductive in the city, not only the urban dust but also vehicle fumes enter as particulate pollution.

The air purifier has helped greatly plus they are dead silent. I just bought a second one for the bedroom while it was discounted during the Prime Days sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement