Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 05:09 PM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
A friend of mine wanted to move 60 miles away into the Columbia Gorge. She was told that her Medicare/Insurance would not cover her out in that zip code. I'm sure they are not going to pay for Medivac flights and such so you can go live out the dreams of your youth in old age. That's going to be on you. So, she continues to stay put. So, there's That.
Told by whom? That's hard to believe, denying someone coverage based on their zip code.

Medivac flights not paid for- this could be true. Supposedly an air ambulance is covered by Medicare to 80% if deemed necessary by a doctor. Of course, if a doctor is not present who's to say? A lot of remote Alaskans carry a separate medivac insurance policy. They're not very expensive.

"Live out dreams of youth in old age". Hah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2023, 05:22 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Told by whom? That's hard to believe, denying someone coverage based on their zip code.

Medivac flights not paid for- this could be true. Supposedly an air ambulance is covered by Medicare to 80% if deemed necessary by a doctor. Of course, if a doctor is not present who's to say? A lot of remote Alaskans carry a separate medivac insurance policy. They're not very expensive.

I think she said it was the insurance broker who sold her on the medicare advantage plan. All I know is that she had a plan and it was thwarted. I did not investigate or research anything because I have no intention of moving.

Old 09-07-2023, 05:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I think the key is the word 'HER' (as in her existing coverage did not extend to the new zip.)

Quote:
her Medicare/Insurance would not cover her out in that zip code.
I live in a (that) region that has very limited coverage. It's on the border of a state that has adequate medical services, but for some reason our state (WA) does not have medical / insurance reciprocity. 30 seconds from my home (in another county, but the same zip) there are (5) medicare choices. We have (1) choice.

Ironically within our area, we also are next door to EMS, but due to 'range wars' of EMS, we must get our EMS response from a volunteer service 40 minutes away. Due to the battles of funding / ignorant managers, our nearest EMS (10 min) cannot provide 'mutual aid', until the responsible EMS gives permission (which never happens). Have lost several friends and structures while the closest EMS must 'stand-by' and watch (and wait) until the volunteers assemble and eventually make it to the scene.

(or nightmares) Whadda ya expect for a mere $46/day in property taxes.

Old 09-07-2023, 05:44 PM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I think she said it was the insurance broker who sold her on the medicare advantage plan. All I know is that she had a plan and it was thwarted. I did not investigate or research anything because I have no intention of moving.
"You think" but you post it as "you know". That is how rumors start.

Old 09-07-2023, 05:59 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Having lived most of my life in major cities (or near them) with world class medical centers -- I'd say very important for me.

Would not live anywhere I'd have questions about the quality of healthcare delivery.

Old 09-07-2023, 07:54 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
For us, it was a minor factor.

When talking among other military retirees, it is a common thought that they wish to locate near a military base. Because they view bases as being where all of their 'services' as being located.

After I retired, and then moved back stateside again, we settled near a base.

Any retiree that lives within a certain radius of a military base, is then required to seek medical care on-base. We played that game for a few years. Active Duty personnel are given priority and they can get appointments, retirees can not. We go into the hospital, check-in, and we wait for any canceled appointments. When there is an unscheduled opening then a retiree can be seen.

You might be seen on the same day, or you may have to sit in the waiting room for multiple days waiting for an opening.

One time I sat in the waiting room from 8am until closing, after all the day shift people had gone home. The night shift people came on duty and as they began cleaning the waiting room, they were surprised to see me sitting there waiting. An HM Corpsman took pity on me and I was seen that evening.

After that I learned that if I were to live outside of their imaginary radius then I would qualify for health insurance to cover us.

Once I moved away from any military bases, suddenly we could be treated by MD doctors, no longer just the HM corpsmen and medics, but real doctors who have been through medical school.
you are not required to be seen on base if you live close to one. What the heck is TriCare for then?

Old 09-07-2023, 08:02 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
you are not required to be seen on base if you live close to one. What the heck is TriCare for then?
During my brief 20 year Active Duty career, Tricare was mostly for when our healthcare issues exceeded the ability of MilMed's HM Corpsmen/medics. Then we could be referred to civilian MD doctors for treatment.

Now that I am assigned to the Fleet Reserve Tricare funds our local healthcare underwriter to provide our healthcare needs.

Back in 2001, to get off-base healthcare we needed to reside outside of a specific radius from base.

Old 09-07-2023, 09:01 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
We live in the big city of Denver.
Kaiser has a large, close by, presence. We really like our MA plan.
We did not have to move.

Old 09-08-2023, 06:18 AM

400 posts, read 563,887 times
One of the primary reasons we moved from Las Vegas was the healthcare system...if not for the issues we had I assume we'd still be there. Living in Boise, ID now and so far - so good with the local system, but likely going go head toward warmer weather in a few years, likely Phoenix/Tucson areas.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:59 AM

863 posts, read 795,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
During my brief 20 year Active Duty career, Tricare was mostly for when our healthcare issues exceeded the ability of MilMed's HM Corpsmen/medics. Then we could be referred to civilian MD doctors for treatment.

Now that I am assigned to the Fleet Reserve Tricare funds our local healthcare underwriter to provide our healthcare needs.

Back in 2001, to get off-base healthcare we needed to reside outside of a specific radius from base.
That was changed several years ago. Now, retirees are required to be seen off base. I retired in 1999 and have had a civilian doctor under Tricare Prime since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement