Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 11:51 AM

7,849 posts, read 3,836,363 times

Advertisements

I read an article asserting there has been an increase in homelessness among Boomers, fueled by the usual suspects of increasing rent, unexpected major expenses such as auto breakdowns, medical bills, dental bills, and other significant events.

A University of Pennsylvania academic researcher with expertise in the subject says the nation hasn't seen a surge in homelessness among seniors/elderly like this since The Great Depression. The US Department of Housing and Urban Development says older adults are the fastest-growing segment of homeless.

Of course, all such things tend to be local. Have you seen an increase in homelessness among seniors in your neck of the woods?

The article I read is behind a paywall. You'll need a subscription to the WSJ to read it. Its title is "Why More Baby Boomers Are Sliding Into Homelessness". The article may find its way into a non-paywalled online publication in a day or two.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 09-12-2023 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 11:58 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,284,787 times
You'll never convince the Reddit kids of boomers suffering homelessness.
They think they're all rich and owning a couple of shacks which prevents them from buying one.

Old 09-12-2023, 12:55 PM

6,030 posts, read 3,745,017 times
I don't personally know any homeless senior citizens (or homeless younger adults either), but if I go to certain parts of town, it's not difficult to find some who APPEAR to be senior citizens and perhaps homeless. Some might call them "bums" or "vagrants".

Here is what puzzles me about this. It is my understanding that in the US, if your income is below a certain level, then you qualify for all kinds of freebies from the state. For example free medical, food stamps, housing allowance, and other such things.

Perhaps you can tell me if this is true or not. If it is true, then why would ANYONE have an excuse for being homeless, hungry, and dirty? Perhaps a person wouldn't live like royalty, but if they are flat out BROKE and have no means of providing for themselves, then it's my understanding that the government (state) will provide them the basics. True or not?

Old 09-12-2023, 01:40 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times
A lot of areas simply lack housing, even if you do qualify for subsidized housing. Some people have to wait years into housing, even if they qualify. And a lot of people don't want to apply for foodstamps etc. because of "pride".

forum rules, please read them

Old 09-12-2023, 01:53 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,662,411 times
I don't notice any seniors among our homeless population. I see 40 years old and younger. In my area it isn't a housing problem. It is a mental illness and drug problem.

However, on the news I will see some seniors. Maybe they search them out? They aren't the ones begging in the median or showering with your garden hose.

Old 09-12-2023, 02:31 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,811,707 times
Olympic Peninsula, Washington, to get a low income apartment, wait years. Mom, 2 teenagers, rental, burned them out. Mother has a job, cannot locate a residence.

Shock to 55+ community recently, rent increasing to $ 200. a month, some other places $ 300. a month.

Enjoyed living in boarding houses years ago, one was for females only. A solution ?

Old 09-12-2023, 02:43 PM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
I would think many of the elderly homeless, have no one to look out for them, and have some sort of dementia. They just don`t know how to go about seeking help.....especially now, all the attention is on the illegals.

Old 09-12-2023, 02:58 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I would think many of the elderly homeless, have no one to look out for them, and have some sort of dementia. They just don`t know how to go about seeking help.....especially now, all the attention is on the illegals.
Every county in my area has an office on aging. There is PLENTY of assistance for seniors. In fact, in my county, there are more resources than people using them.
And all the attention is NOT on illegals. In what way do senior illegals get more "attention" than our senior citizens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I don't notice any seniors among our homeless population. I see 40 years old and younger. In my area it isn't a housing problem. It is a mental illness and drug problem.

However, on the news I will see some seniors. Maybe they search them out? They aren't the ones begging in the median or showering with your garden hose.
My observations are identical.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:14 PM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Every county in my area has an office on aging. There is PLENTY of assistance for seniors. In fact, in my county, there are more resources than people using them.
And all the attention is NOT on illegals. In what way do senior illegals get more "attention" than our senior citizens?

My observations are identical.
I am not talking about senior illigals, illegals in general....but that is for another thread. There maybe plenty of assistance for seniors, as there is for the mentally ill.....but people with dementia, have no idea, how to go about seeking help.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:16 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I am not talking about senior illigals, illegals in general....but that is for another thread. .
Yes, off topic for this one, Try P&OC for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement