Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 11:38 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times

Advertisements

Frankly I moved three and a half hours away to be away from my siblings because I think one of them is more concerned about me winning money and not sharing it with her the other one doesn't like my opinions on God.

But if the older one keeps harping on "I'm so worried about you" she's going to have a choice to either shut up or I'm going to block her and not talk to her then she can worry all she wants and I'm not going to be bothered by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 11:49 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Another Nope.

Old 09-20-2023, 11:41 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
As my father aged and I traveled internationally, I would offer to send him my itinerary with phone numbers to reach me. (Pre-cell phone days)

He always said no, don't send it. His reasoning was pragmatic, and pretty darn blunt. Calling me about some emergency would ruin my vacation, pass away a lot of money, and have no positive result. He'd be just as dead when I finally came home.

Since then, We've followed the same reasoning. Whether it's siblings, the dog, our closest friends, or our house being robbed or destroyed by fire, etc. Ain't nothing we can do about it.

Old 09-20-2023, 12:04 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
No, there is internet and satellite phone service.

Old 09-20-2023, 02:48 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,807,201 times
The older sibling I'm, my younger brother has health issues. We do keep in touch fortunately through modern communication.

Know he's on journey the same as I till we reach our eternal home.

For me, it's whom you believe, trust with your concerns. Thank you for the reminder.

Old 09-20-2023, 03:50 PM

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times
I love my siblings and when they travel I just hope that they are having a good time.

I don't let my mind go to the million and one things that could go wrong for them because that really could happen anywhere.

Close proximity might feel safer but that isn't necessarily the case. I read somewhere that the vast majority of deaths take place within a relatively short distance from home.

Old 09-22-2023, 10:30 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I love my siblings and when they travel I just hope that they are having a good time.

I don't let my mind go to the million and one things that could go wrong for them because that really could happen anywhere.

Close proximity might feel safer but that isn't necessarily the case. I read somewhere that the vast majority of deaths take place within a relatively short distance from home.
That's what I meant when I said "What does it matter what hemisphere they're in?". Accidents, and even horrible things like mass shootings, are just as likely to happen in almost any US state, so why worry more if they are in the Eastern, Western, Southern hemisphere, or at the North Pole for that matter? Unless they are literally "deployed" to a war zone, why worry more? They are far more likely to die of their own health issues than an accident or evil act. And they are just as likely to be hurt or killed, maybe even more so, in their home state, even in their own bathroom.

Worry is just "borrowing trouble". We can all sit around and imagine terrible things happening to our loved ones. Does our worry in any way make them safer? Does it make us, or them, feel better? Does it help anyone in any way?

Old 09-22-2023, 10:59 AM

904 posts, read 665,504 times
No I have siblings and nieces and nephews-grandkids that travel all over. Sometimes I don't even know they went until I see pictures on Instagram.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement