Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 02:13 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

Actual TV commercials? Almost never.

Occasionally I’ll see a social media ad of something I end up buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 03:43 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
I don't watch TV.

Old 10-05-2023, 04:36 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
What type of products?

Medicine? No.
Other things like a new appliance? Maybe. I've bought new vehicles because of commercials. Now, the thought was already there.
Groceries? Again, maybe. An example would be one of the groceries here has lobster tail on sale this week. I'm going to pick one up today. I wouldn't have thought of it if I hadn't seen the ad.

Old 10-05-2023, 05:42 AM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
just mute them and even look at something else, they are so annoying.
Agree. I've been doing that my entire adult life. Even before remote control I would get up and turn them down.

I have no use for them whatsoever.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:00 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
We fast forward through almost every commercial, but I have bought a few fast foods after seeing the ads.

It made me try the new Chick fil A Spicy Honey and Pimento cheese sandwich, which is good, and an ad for Taco Bell made us say, “We should go to Taco Bell sometime.” There’s a Chipotle ad running now with a “bowl” that looks good.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:33 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,767,171 times
So I guess we have discovered why the "retired" demographic is not the "target market" for advertisers. Apparently, us old people either don't watch commercials, or don't buy anything based on commercials.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:44 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
Yes!

But the influence has been to add said product to the 'never buying that again' or 'never going there again' because the commercial is more of a PSA for a mindset that I don't agree with.

It has gotten to the point where I keep the remote in my hand to either mute or change channels.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:45 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
So I guess we have discovered why the "retired" demographic is not the "target market" for advertisers. Apparently, us old people either don't watch commercials, or don't buy anything based on commercials.
Or perhaps we are old and wise enough to know we are being conned?

A and B. A: Back when I had TV while working the midshift, I came to realize that TV commercials in the day time were geared toward the unemployed and the injured......because all the commercials were geared commercial education like the trades and lawsuit lawyers. After all, in that mode of thinking, who else would be sitting at home during the day watching TV?

B: I came to realize that day time television was not entertainment but something so sliced up to make as much room commercials and to convince one to be constantly tuned in.

In the 90s, even the daytime commercials, were entertaining, were about life, of smiling people and out there playing. But when the century turned, they became......"how screwed you are but for the right money, we can make it better.".

I wonder if advertisers ever consider what message might be learned from what is shown.

Old 10-05-2023, 07:18 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,603,757 times
Red and Yellow together make me a little hungy. Pretty sure I have McDonalds to thank for that. Not sure if its the ads or the stores or what.

Overall though I can't stand watching network TV anymore because of the ads. It's just not enjoyable. I use Netflix exclusively.

Old 10-05-2023, 07:22 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Or perhaps we are old and wise enough to know we are being conned?

A and B. A: Back when I had TV while working the midshift, I came to realize that TV commercials in the day time were geared toward the unemployed and the injured......because all the commercials were geared commercial education like the trades and lawsuit lawyers. After all, in that mode of thinking, who else would be sitting at home during the day watching TV?

B: I came to realize that day time television was not entertainment but something so sliced up to make as much room commercials and to convince one to be constantly tuned in.

In the 90s, even the daytime commercials, were entertaining, were about life, of smiling people and out there playing. But when the century turned, they became......"how screwed you are but for the right money, we can make it better.".

I wonder if advertisers ever consider what message might be learned from what is shown.
I noticed way back when AM radio stations played music, that different music formats had different commercials. I never respond to the YouTube product surveys, but do respond to the demographic surveys. Their age survey topped out at 45+; I was disappointed as I was hoping that being able to tell them I was over 65 would stop the diaper commercials for toddlers. When I did the income survey, my current income of over $100,000 was the second lowest selection. That's a good income; I think they are delusional when it comes to their viewers.

There's a saying attributed to a number of different individuals: "Half of my advertisement dollars are wasted, unfortunately I don't know which half." I suspect it's at least 90% wasted now. No matter how many Buick videos I watch, I rarely ever get a Buick commercial. I watched a number of Smucker's videos, but never got a Smucker's commercial. Instead, I get the feeling that YouTube tries to force me in a direction that I do not want, and will not, go. As an example, YouTube is no longer remembering my search history (Yes, I am logged in). Some items I now have to spell out completely before I get what I want.

Let's face it: advertising is a cult of people who think that instead of selling you what you want to buy, they can get you to buy what they want you to buy if they just pester you enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement