Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2023, 09:13 AM

239 posts, read 113,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I think people who get SSDI get what they would get at full retirement age. SSI I think is a different program and less dollars.
Exactly, that's true. SSDI allows you to get ahead enough in life to where you can have food and shelter, SSI it's a huge gamble as most cannot afford shelter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Don’t bother to try to reason with the OP. She was poor and made it financially and so can everyone else as far as she’s concerned. Never mind that she’s a doctor so definitely is smarter than the average bear. But she will argue that the janitor at her hospital saved for retirement and has a great life.

She’s like the Grinch resentful of every dime that goes to poor people to keep them from freezing to death or starving. Of course she will argue that never happens in the USA. She has made up her mind as to her own reality and doesn’t allow the facts to get in the way.

Having spent my career helping people with disabilities obtain employment and I realize life is a combination of one’s own efforts and what happens to you outside your control. I have seen some heartbreaking situations and am grateful that isn’t my life. I don’t kid myself that everything is under my control.
Great post. They're very un-educated speaking on things they know not. It's always funny when they say there are subsidized apartments open, yet we get no real facts to substantiate that. Anyone with half a brain and experience with low income knows the wait for subsidized housing is decades.

Not to mention, you owe $45 each time you apply and get passed by. It's a huge scam asking the poorest to pay that $45 for a lottery they will likely loose.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:19 AM

8,338 posts, read 4,469,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeTami View Post
You really don't know what you speak of. Food stamps expects the person to pay a certain portion of their own food, it doesnt cover the entire month. SSI is not for kids unless they are also disabled.

Most areas, the wait for subsidized apartments are long. So that's a non argument. That's not something the average person should logically expect. SSI needs to be raised. Again, it is VERY DIFFICULT to get on SSI . You must be 65 years old or disabled. The amount doesn't sustain anyone except for their food (food stamps+ SSI) these people are homeless becuase there is no $ left for shelter.
An average person is not on SSI. That benefit is not designed to make anybody an average person, but to enable people to survive without working if they can't work. If you are not 65+ or disabled (ie, not eligible for SSI), how about earning your income rather than asking taxpayers for benefits in the amount which would elevate you financially to an "average person" who actually earns his or her living?

Old 11-26-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I don't consider your posts as "reasoning" :-).

If you are getting something from other people as a free gift, it is not a matter of how much you want, but of how much they want to give you as a gift. More than that is extortion or theft.
This isn't a gift.
It's part of your taxes. We all pay it, nothing special about you. It operates similar to insurance where everyone contributes to the kitty since any of us could find ourselves in that situation at some point in life.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
An average person is not on SSI. That benefit is not designed to make anybody an average person, but to enable people to survive without working if they can't work. If you are not 65+ or disabled (ie, not eligible for SSI), how about earning your income rather than asking taxpayers for benefits in the amount which would elevate you financially to an "average person" who actually earns his or her living?
Try to follow along. We know the average person is not on SSI, no one has indicated such.The amounts did cover food and shelter, almost, at it's inception. The problem is, it hasn't kept up with inflation. The amounts given are the same as what was given in 1981. It should be raised accordingly each year.

No one said it was designated to make someone "an average person". If that were true, the income provided would be closer to 50k a year so we know that is not the case

Okay now that I've addressed your rabbit trails, people on SSI are DISABLED. Or they are aged 65+. It is very difficult to get on SSI because almost everyone has earned enough to qualify for a level of Social Security which surpasses that tiny SSI check. If not, by age 65, then they fell thru the cracks. Mental issues, physical issues, whatever, prevented that.

This is not a gift. It acts a form of insurance for EVERYONE, your family, your friends, in case they become disabled. Most people who are disabled are never diagnosed as such, it is VERY DIFFICULT to get on SSI.[mod cut - personal attack]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 11-28-2023 at 08:19 AM..

Old 11-26-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Great post. They're very un-educated speaking on things they know not. It's always funny when they say there are subsidized apartments open, yet we get no real facts to substantiate that. Anyone with half a brain and experience with low income knows the wait for subsidized housing is decades.

Not to mention, you owe $45 each time you apply and get passed by. It's a huge scam asking the poorest to pay that $45 for a lottery they will likely loose.
This is just one of the fair number of websites where you can find subsidized housing nationwide. If you are already living in an area without much competition for housing, you may find it today:

https://affordablehousingonline.com/...gs-11-20-2023/

I was renting out a small apartment in the Bronx, and had a tenant who stopped working and took soc security at 62, which made her a low-income senior, and at the same time she applied for Section 8. She broke the lease with me and vanished 6 months later, because only 6 months after applying for Section 8 in the Bronx (New York City!), she got a Section 8 voucher much bigger than what I charged her in rent, and promptly moved to a larger apartment, paid fully by NYC taxpayers . So I have difficulty buying that waiting list argument, at least for low-income seniors, who are one of the demographic groups that have priority for Section 8.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Try to follow along. We know the average person is not on SSI, no one has indicated such.The amounts did cover food and shelter, almost, at it's inception. The problem is, it hasn't kept up with inflation. The amounts given are the same as what was given in 1981. It should be raised accordingly each year.

No one said it was designated to make someone "an average person". If that were true, the income provided would be closer to 50k a year so we know that is not the case

Okay now that I've addressed your rabbit trails, people on SSI are DISABLED. Or they are aged 65+. It is very difficult to get on SSI because almost everyone has earned enough to qualify for a level of Social Security which surpasses that tiny SSI check. If not, by age 65, then they fell thru the cracks. Mental issues, physical issues, whatever, prevented that.

This is not a gift. It's a form of insurance for EVERYONE, your family, your friends, in case they become disabled. Most people who are disabled are never diagnosed as such, it is VERY DIFFICULT to get on SSI.[mod cut - personal attack].

SSDI is a form of insurance, because it is offered to people who have paid into the soc security insurance pool (ie, paid FICA taxes for some minimum number of years), and then became disabled. SSI is not a form of insurance, but purely a gift. and is given to people who have not contributed into the soc security insurance pool of FICA taxes to qualify for SSDI.

My profile is private because I am a private person. I say what I believe is accurate, but of course nobody is required to take anything from me on any kind of trust, and can check everything for themselves. My posts are strictly my opinion, like anybody else's posts here. I don't know or care who you are either.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 11-28-2023 at 08:20 AM..

Old 11-26-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
This is just one of the fair number of websites where you can find subsidized housing nationwide. If you are already living in an area without much competition for housing, you may find it today:

https://affordablehousingonline.com/...gs-11-20-2023/

I was renting out a small apartment in the Bronx, and had a tenant who stopped working and took soc security at 62, which made her a low-income senior, and at the same time she applied for Section 8. She broke the lease with me and vanished 6 months later, because only 6 months after applying for Section 8 in the Bronx (New York City!), she got a Section 8 voucher much bigger than what I charged her in rent, and promptly moved to a larger apartment, paid fully by NYC taxpayers . So I have difficulty buying that waiting list argument, at least for low-income seniors, who are one of the demographic groups that have priority for Section 8.
As stated, what you read is not reality. I've met 2 people who paid $45 after getting a notice they were almost at the top of the list for subsiized housing, specifically a senior apartment complex located in Grass valley California. Both paid $45 for nothing. Never heard back. It's a scam to where they collect $45, get peoples hopes up for nothing. Sure there is an opening but why collect $ from people then pass them by? No bad credit, no criminal history, nothing

Section 8, last go around about a decade ago, was open for 8 minutes. Most likely, only the social workers were given a heads up so they called friends. You do not know of what you speak. You just cut and paste articles which may or may not be true. I worked in Health & Human Services for a while, many decades ago, and it's only gotten worse. Hardly anyone gets Section 8. Consider that a pipe dream. You met someone who got very lucky acquiring Section 8. Good, you met a rare bird. Be happy for them.

Last edited by TruckeeTami; 11-26-2023 at 10:01 AM..

Old 11-26-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
SSDI is a form of insurance, because it is offered to people who have paid into the soc security insurance pool (ie, paid FICA taxes for some minimum number of years), and then became disabled. SSI is not a form of insurance, but purely a gift. and is given to people who have not contributed into the soc security insurance pool of FICA taxes to qualify for SSDI.

My profile is private because I am a private person. I say what I believe is accurate, but of course nobody is required to take anything from me on any kind of trust, and can check everything for themselves. My posts are strictly my opinion, like anybody else's posts here. I don't know or care who you are either.
Yes I KNOW the difference between SSDI and SSI. No one has indicated otherwise. Please actually read my posts, i stated SSI acts as a form of insurance. It is not traditional insurance, it just acts as such. It is NOT A GIFT. It is something we pay into for those who need it.

Please do not push this mis-information further. I am constantly having to correct you as you cannot even follow along. This is a very advanced topic, you are cutting and pasting mis-information from websites which are not credible. Please go to the HUD website in order to find accurate information.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:55 AM

7,354 posts, read 4,701,294 times
Quote:
As stated, what you read is not reality. I've met 2 people who paid $45 after getting a notice they were almost at the top of the list for subsiized housing, specifically a senior apartment complex located in Grass valley california. Both paid out, $45, for nothing.

Section 8, last go around about a decade ago, was open for 8 minutes. Most likely, only the social workers were given a heads up so they called friends. You do not know of what you speak. You just cut and paste articles which may or may not be true. I worked in Health & Human Services for a while, many decades ago, and it's only gotten worse. Hardly anyone gets Section 8. Consider that a pipe dream. I honestly am not sure if your posts are even truthful so am going to bow out. Sure there could've been a fluke, you met someone who got very lucky acquiring Section 8. Again, I worked in Social Services, have friends who still do. Your view is not accurate, and you should just stop this bitterness you have towards a system that keeps people alive.
You are absolutely correct Tami!! I was a social worker at one point and it was hard then and next to impossible now essentially on the West Coast. It’s the same way in Reno. Some people can’t just move because they rely on family for assistance with daily tasks if a senior or daycare if younger. We have moved for jobs but luckily had the financial resources to do so. The OP has an agenda and isn’t open to the facts or experience of people that have worked in the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement