Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Done A Serious Life Review Lately?
Yes 22 39.29%
No 30 53.57%
Not Yet - May or may not do one (explain in comments) 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 02:10 PM

1,212 posts, read 539,364 times

Advertisements

Have you done a serious life review lately?

I've done a few in my life - had to do one to get into grad school and then periodically, I've assessed my life.

The old age review is a little different for me - my faults have become more obvious to me now (through self-assessment and inquiry) - and I see my life now much differently than I've perceived it before.

Just wondering how common it is for seniors/elders to review and asses their lives.

I see some of my faults will go with me to the grave - lol.

Last edited by considerforamoment; 11-29-2023 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 02:12 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,707,443 times
DH and I did, as part of the process of downsizing and moving.
Assessed strengths and weaknesses, needs and wants, etc. which helped with getting rid of soooooo much stuff.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:20 PM

11,141 posts, read 9,773,353 times
Mainly I'd say that I reassessed my early years, childhood thru young adulthood, through a new lens, sort of like looking at a forest from 500 feet above rather than in the thicket on the ground. I can better see why I took a certain path, and how sometimes getting lost was not really all on me. I've learned things in the last 10 years that I sort of wish I'd never heard, but they explain some of my life's mysteries and give me a much more nuanced view of my life, and really everyone's life in general. I definitely cut myself, and others, a bit more slack than before.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:23 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,403,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Have you done a serious life review lately?

I've done a few in my life - had to do one to get into grad school and then periodically, I've assessed my life.

The old age review is a little different for me - my faults have become more obvious to me now (through self-assessment and inquiry) - and I see my life now much differently than I've perceived it before.

Just wondering how common it is for seniors/elders to review and asses their life.

I see some of my faults will go with me to the grave - lol.

No, not sure why I should do that. If there is the Judgment Day (which I hope there isn't!), then it will be assessed, but I don't assess it voluntarily. I wallow in nostalgia constantly, but I don't "assess" the past. It was what it was.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:28 PM

7,159 posts, read 4,557,147 times
I have reflected on my 3 marriages and the paths I have taken in life. I am satisfied with how I raised my 3 boys and the career paths that I have taken. I can see my faults but in general I have gone above and beyond to help others although there’s always room for improvement. I have decided at almost 70 now is my time to be more selfish and focus on what I want instead of others.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
No, and I have no intention of doing any kind of formal process like that. If I did I would end up writing a book, having started working at age 14, with careers after graduate school of 17, 16, and 15 years. Then several chapters would be just on my medical history, several more on my many hobbies. It just sounds like too much work, and not needed.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
DH and I did, as part of the process of downsizing and moving.
Assessed strengths and weaknesses, needs and wants, etc. which helped with getting rid of soooooo much stuff.
I think this is absolutely awesome. I wish teens did a process of assessing values.

How did your assessment help you get rid of stuff (I need a lot of help in that area)?

Old 11-29-2023, 02:59 PM

11,141 posts, read 9,773,353 times
"No, and I have no intention of doing any kind of formal process like that. If I did I would end up writing a book, having started working at age 14, with careers after graduate school of 17, 16, and 15 years. Then several chapters would be just on my medical history, several more on my many hobbies. It just sounds like too much work, and not needed."

Well I didn't do that^^^^. There was no "formal process", I just took a fresh look at what "life stories" I had been accepting or telling myself for years, and when I retold them to myself or others, without the color commentary, what came out of it was a different sort of story. In the last few years I got new information about my early years, and my family members, and with a fuller picture I understand why they did certain things, and how it affected my life and actions. I've looked at my own actions through a broader lens as I move further away from them in time (funny how that works) and I can see more clearly where things went wrong, or why this worked or that didn't, and so forth. In all, it's made me more philosophical and less angry. I guess I've forgiven, maybe when I get older, I'll even forget. Finally, something dementia is good for! LOL!

Last edited by TheShadow; 11-29-2023 at 03:08 PM..

Old 11-29-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Mainly I'd say that I reassessed my early years, childhood thru young adulthood, through a new lens, sort of like looking at a forest from 500 feet above rather than in the thicket on the ground. I can better see why I took a certain path, and how sometimes getting lost was not really all on me. I've learned things in the last 10 years that I sort of wish I'd never heard, but they explain some of my life's mysteries and give me a much more nuanced view of my life, and really everyone's life in general. I definitely cut myself, and others, a bit more slack than before.
Interesting. It's always good to be able to give ourselves and others "grace" or just an acknowledgment of being human in looking at our lives - I'm extremely hard on myself and have discovered a strong perfectionistic standard I've used on myself, which has been on the extremely critical side. I'm now giving myself more slack, as you say.

Old 11-29-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have reflected on my 3 marriages and the paths I have taken in life. I am satisfied with how I raised my 3 boys and the career paths that I have taken. I can see my faults but in general I have gone above and beyond to help others although there’s always room for improvement. I have decided at almost 70 now is my time to be more selfish and focus on what I want instead of others.
I imagine it would be such a relief to feel your most cherished actions have been assessed as "good enough," (or better).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement